1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News PSPgo SDK still too expensive for developers

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Sifter3000, 20 Jul 2009.

1. Sifter3000

Sifter3000 I used to be somebody

2. ChaosDefinesOrder

ChaosDefinesOrder Vapourmodder

this is what's generally known as "pricing yourself out of the market"

seriously, Sony, what are you thinking charging that much and expecting people to just jump on board without complaints. Surely someone at Sony must have looked at how much they charge compared to their competitors and thought "hmm, maybe we're charging too much..."

$1500 AFTER a 80% reduction compared to $99? Are they mad? that makes the original cost to developers £7500. I don't know what the dev cost for the DS is, but damn that's a big difference to Sony's intended nearest competitor!

3. mjm25

mjm25 What's a Dremel?

It's like Sony were walking down the road shooting itself in the feet with a revolver... it then saw this ^^^^ Nvidia advert, bought a minigun and started shooting itself all over the bloody place.

4. Goty

Goty Minimodder

Actually, that makes the original cost to developers around £4500.

5. ChaosDefinesOrder

ChaosDefinesOrder Vapourmodder

sorry, that would be a typo replacing $ with £ accidentally... keys are, like, right next to each other :)

6. Goty

Goty Minimodder

7. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

Raise your hands if you were predicting this!

8. ssj12

ssj12 Minimodder

game system dev kits are always expensive... still you need a Mac to make iPod/iPhone games. Doesn't that add a bit more to the costs? It isn't $99. Its $99 + the cost of a Mac since very few people own them.

9. Horizon

Horizon Dremel Worthy

I would like to know how much the DS/DSi SDK cost? For an actual comparison

10. The Jambo

The Jambo Last on the scene

DS Costs are the cheapest of any console, $2000 for the SDK.

11. AshT

AshT Custom User Title

I don't see much of a story here really except an indie dev is complaining they are skint and can't afford the dev kit fee.

12. AshT

AshT Custom User Title

Forgot to say, I've downloaded Flight Control but not got around to playing it yet. However, Airport Mania is pretty cool, well worth a look.

13. theskyishard

theskyishard What's a Dremel?

Then there is the 360 which is a case of:

1.) buy a normal retail 360
    2.) download visual C# 2008 express and XNA game studio 3.1 (both free)
    3.) make game (code on windows, and throw it to the 360 whenever you like, without too much difference in code)
    4.) upload to community games after buying creators club membership (£60?)
    5.) watch people buy your game (admittedly not many, since community games isnt very big atm)

Sony just unfortunately seem to struggle to make a dev friendly kit at times, hell the dev-kit PS2 ran a modified knoppix (i believe, been a while since I used it - though I have heard there were different levels of dev-kit with better environments) distro that depending on if you followed precise install instructions took a couple of hours or a couple of days (if you were unlucky) before you were even ready to code using the terrible built in IDE, let alone setting up samba and network shares so you could code on a PC and just send files across so you can build the makefile.

This wouldnt be a problem if other (arguably better) consoles/dev kits werent a) cheaper and b) have a larger market share and pool of potential customers to buy your games.

And so far as DS goes, I believe you can code and run homebrew games without having to buy a dev kit (using an emulator) since a couple of guys I know managed to make a really tidy demo of a game idea they had in about 10 weeks and put it up on an emulator (they were sticking to roughly the same time a professional studio would spend on a prototype for a pitch). On top of that, if you really want to run homebrew on a DS, im pretty sure that is what cards like the R4 are all about (barring the piracy market), just drop the game on the sd and away you go (although I am not clear on Ninty's stance on use of these cards for homebrew/games development)

Last edited: 6 Nov 2009
  14. Horizon

Horizon Dremel Worthy

I could understand them crying foul when it was $7500 but now what makes nintendo an exception?

Last edited: 21 Jul 2009
Tags: Add Tags