1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Synaptics introduces 10-finger multitouch

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Sifter3000, 23 Jul 2009.

1. Sifter3000

Sifter3000 I used to be somebody

2. Matticus

Matticus ...

I am just thinking of a dual screen netbook/small laptop. Like a netbook/small laptop DS, bottom screen can be an onscreen keyboard and also display what you want.

3. Cptn-Inafinus

Cptn-Inafinus Minimodder

I won't buy in until it supports at least 11 points! Got too think of those Polydactyly's out there.

4. Bonzo45

Bonzo45 Ex CPC

Clever piece of hardware, not sure about it's uses though! Perhaps 8 inches is too small for two player games! Maybe it could spawn a new touch screen handheld gaming console, put 10 points is a bit OTT IMHO.

Surely you can't coordinate 10 of your fingers to do different things on the screen, the technology is too good for the human brain.

5. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

10 finger tracking on smart phones? Nice but how would I hold it then?

6. Aracos

Aracos What's a Dremel?

Sounds fun and worth a look, too bad you'll get fingerprints all over your screen though >.<

7. p3n

p3n What's a Dremel?

How would you keep your palm from touching it for x hours usage? Terrible...

8. Isitari

Isitari Minimodder

Minority Report here we come :D

9. dyzophoria

dyzophoria Minimodder

you can just wipe it if it gets dirty though :), I wont be surprised if ways are found to lessen this problem in the near future, fingerprints for me is the most least problem i will have in multi touch devices

10. B[x]

B[x] What's a Dremel?

How do you see the screen with 10 fingers in the way?

I would not be a fan. Virtual keyboards on phones these days are enough of a pain. I would have to see how that would translate to typing out an actual document rather than a 140-character text. I need my physical buttons.

11. dicobalt

dicobalt What's a Dremel?

The only personal use I can think is for RTS games. The lack of feedback and tactile variation makes it limited in use. There is place for multitouch sensors but that is on a separate device, not in the screen itself. Think of the touchpad on a laptop only much bigger and far more accurate. I would have it slide out from under the keyboard and be at least 3x larger then a laptop pad. As you move your fingers on the pad you can see overlays on the screen representing fingers. This implementation would be cheaper, simpler, and your hand wouldn't be obscuring the view of the screen while causing fingerprints. Furthmore you wouldn't get karate kid wax on wax off cramps and you wouldn't need to stare downwards at the table like an idiot with bad posture.

12. I-E-D

I-E-D Minimodder

On screen keyboard sounds cool, cos you could drag the little keys around to spell words, and to get the best config for you!

13. ChaosDefinesOrder

ChaosDefinesOrder Vapourmodder

no-one else think that this sounds like the potential tech behind a future Optimus touch gaming keyboard?

14. Ross1

Ross1 What's a Dremel?

with a finger or thumb on the screen, a large part of it is already blocked. this just seems to be a way to completely obscure any possible view you have of the screen, which will lead to blind fingering. this is often quite messy, and isnt a very pleasant experience.

obviously if you are using your 10 fingers and 2 thumbs on the screen, the device will be held in your mouth. some people may be able to hold it with their feet, and anyone who has an extra arm will be ecstatic that they finally have a use for a previously unneeded limb.

15. Timmy_the_tortoise

Timmy_the_tortoise International Man of Awesome

How is this news?

I thought Microsoft Surface was able to handle 50 users at a time.

16. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

TMI, thank you very much. :p

You REALLY must be special!

17. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Microsoft Surface is not a capacitive touchscreen. Nor is it possible to integrate Surface into a portable device - it requires cameras and infra-red emitters along with a projector.

18. Timmy_the_tortoise

Timmy_the_tortoise International Man of Awesome

Right. I actually knew that, I guess I just forgot. It was a bit stupid of me...

Tags: Add Tags