1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice New PSU

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by theevilelephant, 26 Jul 2009.

1. theevilelephant

theevilelephant Minimodder

Heya,
    Well my PSU has just gone on the fritz:wallbash:, so its PSU upgrade time!... wooo. Anyway, I will be upgrading my computer in the near future so I would like something that will be able to power the new PC (most likely i7, fairly high range gfx, 4-6gb ram etc) when I get it. Two brands that I personally trust are Tagan and Corsair, would 700W be enough? Does anyone recommend any other brands (700W models from both clock in at about £115 :( ).

Thanks

p.s.
    The two I'm thinking of:
    http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/700W...ck-Modular-Cable-Management-plus80-Efficiency

and

http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/CMPS...r-HX-Series-PSU-ATX-EPS12V-Modular-UK-Version

2. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

BeQuiet are making some of the best PSU's about at the minute, there've been a couple of reviews on them here.

3. SwiftDestiny101

SwiftDestiny101 Has a wire neatness fetish...

4. SwiftDestiny101

SwiftDestiny101 Has a wire neatness fetish...

You ninja posted me! :O

5. Moyo2k

Moyo2k AMD Fanboy

NorthQ Black Magic FLex 850W, the fan is a bit loud but if you can handle that it is eleet!
    This forum has a fettish for BeQuiet so you may wanna look at those, corsair psu's are also good:

I'll probably get shot for showing you this but:
    http://www.pcper.com/article.php?aid=266&type=expert&pid=5
    http://www.custompcwarehouse.co.uk/acatalog/Online_Catalogue__Power_Supplies__32.html,
    It's modular, it's quiet and its 80+ Certified, 750W for under £80! Only real problem I can see is it only has 2x6pin PCIe but it has so many molex you could convert a few

I honestly don't understand this forum's anti-thermaltake stance...

Last edited: 26 Jul 2009
  6. Combinho

Combinho Ten kinds of awesome

OCZ also make good PSUs, and are often slightly cheaper than Corsair.

7. naokaji

naokaji whatever

The anti TT stance comes from them doing BS like this, yes that is a fullcover wc block that sucks so hard that it needs a fan....
    However, TT does not build Psus, its just a relabeling job (like most psus) and since they picked the right oem they have good psus.

8. Moyo2k

Moyo2k AMD Fanboy

9. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

Be Quiet! Dark Power Pro 650W, its not as cheap as others around, but considering the fact a PSU is a long term investment much like a monitor, i tend to grab the best PSU for the budget and use it over a few systems.

Corsair and OCZ power supplies are good, corsair being the better of the two, but there just rebrand PSU's which is why they should stick to doing just memory and now SSD's.

10. Krikkit

I've just bought m'self an OCZ ModXStream 600W, and although it's a very good PSU, there's only room for 4 cables + 2 PCI-e cables at once - that means you can only have 4 molexes, 2 floppy and 6 SATA at the same time...

If I'd had the money I would've bought a BeQuiet, but prices seem to have gone up since I bought my Tagan modular...

11. theevilelephant

12. hotnikkelz

hotnikkelz What's a Dremel?

Noone mentioned Enermax yet for some reason :/

13. Aracos

Aracos What's a Dremel?

Are you surprised? While they may be a good brand their PSU's are extremely expensive, try find a 750w enermax revolution for £115, the 850 is over £170 on scan and if they do a 750w I imagine it won't be too much cheaper ^_^ and I know they have cheaper brands but the Dark Power Pro and and HX series are both high end series (correct me if I'm wrong) so having to go for a cheaper brand enermax at that price point is taking the p*** a bit =\

14. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

enermax have just priced them self out of the sensible price range.

I must say Be Quiet! might be new here in the UK, but i think there sucess was mainly in europe, and they have produced some really quality PSU's.

I was a little harsh about corsair and there PSU's by saying that there just rebrands. There made by seasonic, but to corsairs spec and i think there design...

OCZ, well i seen some really horrid powersupplies by them usually noisy and weak when up in the 75% + load regions.

15. GhostRider_77

GhostRider_77 Define "Normal"

I just bought the M12D 850W from Seasonic. Scan are selling it for around £150 at the moment. ATX power, 4&8 pin mobo plugs, SATA and PCI-E are wired to the PSU, but there are additional modular slots for SATA, extra PCI-E (the 6+2 pin variety) and lots of molex. Easy to install, very quiet and plenty of juice!

16. Blademrk

Blademrk Why so serious?

I bought a BeQuiet! psu a couple of months back and I've been very pleased with it.

17. theevilelephant

Thanks all, still not sure which to go for but thats ok as I don't get payed till friday :D

18. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

I didn't mention what power supply i have been running, and tbh very surprised by.

Currently i am running a Antec Quattro 850W, as soon as it arrived last october the weight alone told me there is some good stuff inside this PSU, its weighs a tonne!

Currently its powering my machine in the sig, thats 3 HDD's, 2 graphics cards, boat load 'O' fans, a pump (WC) and some horrid IDE DVD-RW which needs replacing soon due to currently dieing.

19. Krikkit

Go for the BeQuiet - it's a newer unit. :thumb:

20. Bbq.of.DooM

Bbq.of.DooM Custom User Title

Things I like:
    1. Corsair.
    2. The Thermaltake Toughpower series. Especially the 750, which I would get over the Corsair TX750 any day (because it's modular and basically the same inside)
    3. Enermax. If you've got money...
    4. BFG power supplies. Good stuff right here.
    5. Seasonic built stuff.

Things I do not like:
    1. OCZ power supplies (just retire the damned epsilon already, and stop making such mediocre crap)
    2. about 90% of thermaltake stuff (You're doing nobody a favor by keeping it around)
    3. Tagan. Still.

Things I am neutral on:
    1. PCP&C. Good stuff, but they're not quiet (even the silencer line), not modular, no 120mm fans, and they're just plain expensive.
    2. BeQuiet. mehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh