1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Networks ADSL to Cable

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by Moyo2k, 26 Jul 2009.

1. Moyo2k

Moyo2k AMD Fanboy

The area where I live doesn't have built in cable and my ADSL connection is driving me mad, I can't find any support so I thought I'd ask here.

Is there anyway to install cable in your house if it doesn't already have it? Please kelp!:wallbash:

2. Cerberus90

Cerberus90 Car Spannerer

Unless there is Cable in the street. no.

Virgin won't come out and put a cable from your house to their exchange just for you.

I'm afraid your stuck with ADSL.

3. Cerberus90

Cerberus90 Car Spannerer

double post FTL

4. Akava

Akava Lurking...

Unfortunatly he is correct. However with the goverment scheme (can't remember what they are calling it atm) we should all have Fibre Optics in the coming years, not an ideal solution right now; you could ofcourse always contact Virgin and see if they have plans to lay cable in your area.

5. julianmartin

julianmartin resident cyborg.

Try a different ISP....?

6. Rich_13

Rich_13 What's a Dremel?

If you have a master socket in your house where the lower segment comes away you'll find a Test socket behind that front cover. run just a Micro filter and your modem from there. If nothing else is on the line then you've narrowed your issues down to those two pieces of equipment (you've even ruled out the internal wiring in your house which comes from that master socket).

Also if your on LLU equipment at your exchange, then call your provider and they maybe able to alter the SNR values on your line to give you some stability over the distance you are from the exchange.

Failing this try alternative hardware to make sure it'l not your hardware / Microfilter.

Any good ISP will make you go through these checks as a hell of a lot of the time you'll find this will fix the issue.

Then again if it's just slow speeds and your not LLU you might want to change providers if your way below your sync speed.... that 'might' help.

7. Rich_13

Rich_13 What's a Dremel?

FTTC (fibre to the cabinet) is where you have the exchange equipment in those green boxes on your street (I'm explaining this in very simple terms).. This shortens the distance of copper (or aluminium if your dead unlucky) wiring and thus lessens the fall off in speed over distance (in theory).

This sounds good but I think it's a long way off. Trialling has started.

you might find http://tinyurl.com/mwldev interesting. :D