1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Microsoft proposes browser ballots

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Sifter3000, 27 Jul 2009.

1. Sifter3000

Sifter3000 I used to be somebody

2. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

That's a good idea - it's better than having no OS shipped out over here. :\

3. l3v1ck

l3v1ck Fueling the world, one oil well at a time.

I agree. If the OS ships without any browser at all, you'd need to have one backed up somewhere. You couldn't download one without one already being installed to browse with.
    This is a sensible idea from MS. As long as the list has the most popular browsers to choose from (IE8, FF, Chrome & Opera), I can't see how the EU would have a problem with it.

4. Rkiver

Rkiver Cybernetic Spine

I think it's a fair compromise on Microsofts end, as pointed out if it didn't come with a browser the average person wouldn't have a clue how to get one (ie from another pc for example). Having a screen letting you choose one of a few and then it installs it makes perfect sense.

5. Javerh

Javerh Topiary Golem

Recently, Microsoft's actions have seemed to set the standard in ethical behaviour. Way to go!

6. SBS

SBS What's a Dremel?

This is kinda what we expected in the first place, isn't it?

To be fair though, every place I've seen offering preorders of Windows 7 E are supplying a second CD with IE/Firefox on it.

7. Spiny

Spiny What's a Dremel?

Windows 7E, "Eviscerated" edition!

8. Denis_iii

Denis_iii What's a Dremel?

I like it, but want this screen during installation so i can pick what I want installed
    ie windows calculator, its anticompetitive to all the free and payed for calculator software out their
    Why isn't the EU on the case for calculator software?

9. eek

eek CAMRA ***.

When will the EU give up... the average user doesn't care less what browser they use - more choice equals more confusion!

This ruling doesn't really benefit anyone...
    - People who care whether they are using FF/Chrome/IE etc are able to go and download it themselves - also ensuring they have the latest version not something dated from the release of the OS (which in XPs case is a few too many years!!)
    - People who don't care (i.e. most people) will never buy an OS anyway so will stick with whatever the OEM bundled with the PC

The whole case is a big waste of time and money.

It's like when I was installing Win7 RC yesterday, the most painful bit was actually setting up the browser with all the accelerators and other rubbish as the number of options and choices are insane - far more than installing the rest of the OS! Whatever happened to the saying 'less is more'?!

10. crazyceo

crazyceo What's a Dremel?

I agree this is a very good gesture by Microsoft and one they don't have to do. They could have shipped the OS without a browser and pointed the finger and the EU saying it's their fault.

My main worry here is how big will the panel be? Surely, Microsoft must include every browser available today to make it anti-competitive otherwise, the ones missing off the list will just scream to the EU and then they get Microsoft fined again.

If the list becomes too big then maybe the user will just pick Microsoft's offering because they don't know any different.

Another concern is who will maintain the browser? Will it now be Microsoft's responsibility to make patches and updates available via it's automatic Windows Update service. If a browser infects your system with whatever, will Microsoft be able to help?

Choice is a good thing but it can also add problems. This isn't over yet and I'm sure we will hear from a few browser developers moaning about costs or being left off the list completely.

11. lp1988

lp1988 Minimodder

That's properly what I would have done.

but one question, should't this affect Apple as well. they are bundeling a free browser with their system as well, is that not to be considered anti competitive as well?

I bet that when this ships we will have to listen to a bunch of Apple fans arguing that this makes windows complicated, and I would not be surprised to hear a comment from Steve Jobs the first time he gets the chance.

All in all the result is that Steve Jobs are laughing, consumers are being confused, money are being wasted and Microsoft are being hurt even though they are handeling this in accordance to all rules.

12. shigllgetcha

shigllgetcha Minimodder

hope this goes through, far better than no browser

yeh why are apple exempt. apple is a more agressive than microsoft these days as far as i can see with all their cease and decist letters its handing out atm

i thought IE was an option that you ticked/unticked when you installed windows, so wouldnt it be upto the manufactorers not windows? ie you can install it if you want.

itunes asks you do you wish to install safari everytime it upgrades from what i remember, why is that any different

13. Syphon Filter

Syphon Filter What's a Dremel?

+1

14. l3v1ck

I think a lot of people would disagree with you there.

15. geekboyUK

geekboyUK What's a Dremel?

They can put up option of downloading browsers without shipping full IE7... eg, wget in the background

16. lewchenko

lewchenko Minimodder

I read that the panel will hold a maximum of 10 browsers, and that in order to get onto the panel you need >0.5% market share.

Also, there is talk of having the options download the latest version at install time rather than relying on a 'carry-on' version, but if no internet connection is available, then yes.. install the carry-on version and prompt the user to update.

Its win-win for MS with this solution. Most people will install IE anyway. Any business would install IE by default.
    Most clued up users would also probably install IE and FF atleast too.

17. Bauul

Bauul Sir Bongaminge

N'ah, all modern browsers have their own internal Update systems, so Microsoft could just install any old version and it'd update itself accordingly.

Plus, all MS need to do is have a little disclaimer that says "MS accept no responsibilities for these third-party browsers" and they're covered. All they need to make sure is the one version they bundle is virus free and anything else the user does is not MS's concern.

18. l3v1ck

Hmmm, I've just spotted a potential problem with FF3. For some reason known only to Mozilla, FireFox 3 (unlike FF2) uses some security settings from IE. How will they get round that unless the next version of FF reverts back (and I think it should) to using its own settings.

19. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

Apparently MS' first "solution" was just to scare the EU and show them how stupid things could be. Well done MS! :thumb:

20. D3s3rt_F0x

D3s3rt_F0x What's a Dremel?

EU being continually unresonable. I'm sorry but why don't they chase after apple for there anti competitive practises of bundling software with Operating systems.

Ah thats right because most people don't really give a toss what there using so long as it works and those who want something else more than likely know how to install it.

Tags: Add Tags