1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware Corsair Hydro H50 CPU Cooler Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Lizard, 29 Jul 2009.

1. Ice Tea

Ice Tea Minimodder

My post above yours is the Asetek LCLC :)

Asetek rebranded it too NorthQ Siberian Tiger when they stopped making the Asetek DIY watercooling kits.

2. mardon

mardon What's a Dremel?

But its not very good seriously??

3. mardon

mardon What's a Dremel?

4. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

I'll ask Corsair for comment. :)

5. Ice Tea

Ice Tea Minimodder

6. mardon

mardon What's a Dremel?

Cheers mate.

Would you consider this flow on my PC adequate to produce the LGA775 results or something more like the AMD results.

Asetek LCLC with Push Pull 120mm fans @ 1500rpm
    Front 120mm Exhaust 120mm 1000rpm
    Bottom 80mm Pulling in cool Air
    Top 80mm Exhausting Air
    Side 120mm 1200rpm Pulling in Air
    Good cable management

It could quite simply be that I was getting results more like AMD due to poor case air flow.

As you have said though the kit is very well made. If I could find a double slot rad version which performed even better it seriously would be a good bit of kit. I know there is a double available for the NorthQ Siberian Tiger.

7. Ice Tea

Ice Tea Minimodder

8. Ice Tea

Ice Tea Minimodder

I can't find the review but there was one that got varying results between Motherboards and they found out that it was due to the mounting pressure of the plastic quick clips on the lga775 mount for the WaterBlock/Pump.

[​IMG]

Or i should say it was a case of a lack of mounting pressure :)

9. mardon

mardon What's a Dremel?

Not sure how the mounting system would work with a bolt through kit. It was a little tricky.

10. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

I see Copper, I see Aluminium, I can SEE problems!!!!

11. mardon

mardon What's a Dremel?

I had mine for 1 year before I took it off and it was still going strong. There is no question of the quality of the product. Its the cooling that has me interested. Have I got rid of something that was perfectly good and just needed a little re-arranging of my case air flow.

12. B1ackbeard

B1ackbeard Browncoat

Hi all, Gareth here from Corsair to answer a few questions.

The H50 is indeed based on the Asetek LCLC, but we worked with Asetek for some considerable amount of time before we agreed on the final design.

There have been many revisions of the LCLC since it launched, primarily focusing on the pump / cold plate unit. The Corsair H50 uses a new version of the pump / cold plate, and this is what gives it the extra performance. Older revisions of the LCLC do not offer nearly the same performance, and we tested several recent revisions.

Here's an image of the cold plate of an older LCLC (in this case a NorthQ) and the H50. As you can see, the cold plate design is quite different.

[​IMG]

These are some comparative results from a test system I have set up here. The chassis was a fairly compact midi-tower, so overall the numbers for all three will be a bit higher than you'd see in a larger / more typical chassis. The 'LCLC' was set up in the same way as the H50, and I even used the H50's fan and CPU mounting bracket for it.

[​IMG]

Last edited: 30 Jul 2009
  13. Ice Tea

Ice Tea Minimodder

Thanks for putting us straight :)

Any plans on a bigger Radiator and more Blocks for the NorthBridge or Graphics card ?

14. stonedsurd

stonedsurd Is a cackling Yuletide Belgian

Adding blocks would be asking for trouble. As might adding a larger rad. No, I think this little baby does what it's meant to and nothing more. Which is fine for 50GBP :)

15. B1ackbeard

B1ackbeard Browncoat

The H50 is a CPU cooler and the aim was to provide a higher-performance alternative to a high-end HSF, for a similar price. Spawning more blocks and adding a larger rad would price it out of that segment, and put it more into traditional water-cooling territory.

We are obviously looking at ways to expand our range of cooling products though. :brrr:

16. mardon

mardon What's a Dremel?

Nice one B1ackbeard. As said in my previous posts the LCLC quality was great!

Seriously considering one of these now.

Thanks for the rapid response.

17. Kunin

Kunin What's a Dremel?

That would be great, I was looking at ordering one in about a week. Let me know how it works out for you and how you ended up mounting it (what case you have?).

18. mardon

mardon What's a Dremel?

Also on a side note, having looked at the comparison photo's you can see in the one on the left (the LCLC) why I lapped mine. It is not a smooth surface. The new H50 looks to have a perfectly flat copper surface which is nice.

19. Ice Tea

Ice Tea Minimodder

20. Rocket_Knight64

Rocket_Knight64 Minimodder

Quick technical question. Does the orientation of the rad or CPU block matter much? eg, if the rad was mounted on the roof and the block was mounted with the pipes connected at the top. Thanks. :)

I look forwards to a verion for GFX cards. That would arguably be even more usefull!

Tags: Add Tags