1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware Asus G60Vx Gaming Laptop Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Lizard, 30 Jul 2009.

1. Lizard

Lizard @ Scan R&D

2. Tyrmot

Tyrmot Minimodder

what, no SSD? surely a must for gaming laptops these days?

3. xaser04

xaser04 Ba Ba Ba BANANA!

I have said it before and will say it again the HD48XX mobility series GPUs are really very good. This point is exagerated when I realise my Quad core & HD4850 mobility equipped Advent 6555 was nearly £400 less than this Asus laptop.

Sometimes PC world do have good offers : )

4. The boy 4rm oz

The boy 4rm oz Project: Elegant-Li

Looks nice but I would still rather have a Desktop over something like this, 5 min battery life is not worth it lol.

5. Bad_cancer

Bad_cancer Mauritius? 2nd speck east of africa

yeah i have to agree, the battery life kills all the appeal of most gaming laptops. so if you are going to have to plug it in to play anyway, might as well go desktop.

6. Hustler

Hustler Minimodder

Why does it take sooooooo long for Laptops to appear with the 'latest' mobile gfx chips in?......

These 260/280 chips were announced nearly a year ago, and its only now that you can find them fitted inside a reasonable number of laptops.

7. [PUNK] crompers

[PUNK] crompers Dremedial

cannot believe nvidia have done it again!

seems to me this time its even worse though, they're not bringing out a new product number and pairing it with an old gpu; they're using the name of another more powerful gpu to describe an old model?! surely there are laws about this kind of crap

8. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

Cant believe that G92 branded as a GTX260M

9. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

laptop = portable with enough battery life, able to put on lap without breaking your legs
    gaming = able to play at monitor's native resolution and able to enjoy the game without overheating
    gaming laptop = a huge pile of silicone that will burn your lap and have performance issues

gaming never really is meant to be for laptops. looking at that spec and its price. my 2 year old desktop can beat it. 2 years ago, i spent £1000 on my desktop with the quad core, 4GB RAM and 8800GTX and a 22inch monitor. 2 years is a LONG time in technology and yet 2 years later, the gaming laptop is still a lowly dual core, it's still a cut-down version of 8800GTX, it's still slower.

get a desktop, or a shuttle if you want to go to lanparties. along with a netbook/small laptop for portable purposes.

Last edited: 30 Jul 2009
  10. HourBeforeDawn

HourBeforeDawn a.k.a KazeModz

ya I will say it again the words Laptop and Gaming just doesnt mix and when it does it weighs like 16 pounds and of course has 30mins of batter life but ehh one day Im sure it will become practical.

I do like the idea of backlit keys, I would like that to be a feature on ALL laptops and netbooks.

Last edited: 30 Jul 2009
  11. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

totally agree, grab a shuttle for lan parties!

12. knyghtryda

knyghtryda What's a Dremel?

Im looking at this laptop, but with the 1080p screen instead of the 720p screen. However, I've had bad experiences with Asus displays and just how crappy they are in quality. The last Asus I bought and returned (N81p) had one of the worst LCDs I've laid my eyes on.

As for the gaming laptop argument... yeah, a laptop will never make a perfect gaming platform. But for people on the road alot (like me) there really isnt the option of dragging along a powerful desktop, even a shuttle. I just want a powerful all around laptop, and any gaming I can throw in would be fantastic. Im cross shopping this with a fully upgraded Sony FW490 and a Dell studio xps 16 (all 16in screens), and while the Sony and Dell are down on graphics power, they have far better displays (especially the Dell with its RGBLED setup), and the Sony has a cheap bluray burner upgrade.

13. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

Nice! Now crumbs from my stottie will be easier to pick out from between the keys!

14. Jojii

Jojii hardware freak

hahaha tyres

15. Aracos

Aracos What's a Dremel?

Ha nice laptop, always laugh at the Mobility vs Desktop chipsets though, although not complaining one bit, that's a very respectable frame rate for a laptop but come on! 1GB for a display of less than 1680x(whatever the 16:9 height would be) is just a waste of money, money that would've been much better spent on more battery life!

For me a laptop needs just these specs: Decent display (most important, most lappy's have horrible viewing angles that make me cry), a high speed dual core processor (2.5GHz is a little low but it will suffice), a mid range GPU for playing older games and emulating, 2GB+ RAM and a 250GB HDD. Put a GOOD DVD-RW drive on their and we're good to go :D

16. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

for your on-the-road needs, have you ever thought about getting a regular laptop with good battery life such as a Macbook Pro or any Dell/IBM 15inch. along with iPhone/PSP for gaming?

17. cjmUK

cjmUK Old git.

I'm satisfied customer for ASUS for a number of years, so I tend to look on them favourably... but even so, £1300+ for a old spec and mediocre performance..? I'd have given it a 6 perhaps...

18. rembo666

rembo666 What's a Dremel?

There's really not excuse for a 16in laptop to only have 768 vertical resolution. This makes it unusable for anything but gaming in my book, and that's not something I would ever be willing to pay money for.

19. rolly74

rolly74 Digital Marionette

how's the screen with this laptop? personally think a laptop can't substitute a 22" or 24" monitor in gaming enjoyment

20. maluku85

maluku85 What's a Dremel?

I've got this laptop and im very happy with it. I'm not traveling and all but i bought this laptop because i didn't want to be fed up with a big system in the livingroom and still be able to game. Now my laptop is hooked on a 42" Full HD screen with HDMI cable & 5.1 HDcinema set, wireless Keyboard/Mouse. Nicely hidden away in my TV furniture.
    My G60Vx (with blue cover not white) didn't came with a Blue-Ray Drive. but i use my ps3 for that anyway..
    I can play all latest games maxed out at 1920x1080 (except Crysis, Just Cause 2 & Prince of Persia Forgotten Sands), who seem to lag a bit when maxed out, but play normally on High setting & 2xAA).
    For me personally this was a good pick for 900 Euro. And i washed away resolution problem. Plus i saved allot of space ;D

Tags: Add Tags