1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cooling Feedback before i finalise deisgns plz :)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Guest-16, 25 Nov 2002.

1. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

[​IMG]

My 201 how i want it. The rad takes up 3 5.25" slots, but if i get some cheap sheet alu from maplins i dont have to use up the expensive bay covers.

[​IMG]

my idea for a harddisk cooler(s), get 1/2" OD, 3/8" ID tubing in copper/brass and solder on some "U" pieces to make a "W"ish shape. My tubing will fit over 1/2" OD so that's no prob, and it should have ample contact with the harddisk if a 3.5" harddisk is 4"x1"x6ish" so if my tubing is only 1/2" then itll easily fit between 2 harddisks (but i have 3 HDD so i need 2 of the blocks).

Res is as discussed in the other thread :)

1000lph pump better be enough :worried:

2. Adam

Adam Minimodder

Wouldn't the rad be better in the top, albeit with a little modding? And isn't the res supposed to be the highest point?

(take my comments with a bucket full of salt as I haven't actually begun my watercooling yet.)

3. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

I refuse to cut my coolermaster so that's the highest itll go :)

Res... id rather keep it low to avoid dripping if the worst happens, and ive no space up high.. might be able to fit it behind the rad!?

4. UnLoadeD

UnLoadeD What's a Dremel?

Looking good. I've got a few suggestions tho. You definitely want your res as highest point to trap air. Here is something that might work for ya: Bay-Res Looks like you might be able to fit it above ya rad. I dunno if you can get these in UK yet.
    Another thing is the submerged pump, I found these really add quite a bit of heat to the water. Also most submerged ones are kinda small, for your setup, you're gonna need a bigger pump.
    And lastly, I don't think the NB waterblock will be worth the restriction it adds to the system. A lot of guys are using the Zalman passive cooling for NB's. If I were you, I'd look into this as it looks like you'll still be having a bit of airflow in your case because I didn't see a waterblock for vid card.

Oops, I lied, that wasn't last. Because you mention that ID of your tubing will fit over OD of the copper tubing, this might also restrict your flow, specially with all the U-turns and your water might be getting pretty warm at this point, you might not get the benefits you expect. You might consider a big quiet intake fan in the bottom front of your case to cool HD's, pump & NB.

OK, thats my $.02. I'm not telling you what to do, just giving you some things to think about. BTW if you like the bay-res idea but can't find a way to get one across the pond, lemme know, I might be able to help you out.

Edit: here's kinda how i picture it:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: 26 Nov 2002
  5. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Thx for the help unloaded :)

but:

No more 5.25" bays left - 3 are taken by my rad and 1 by my dvdrom. I agree about getting the res up high though. The prob is - the mobo is so big, any reasonable sized (ie cdrom sized) 5.25" drives hit it when i put them low, so if the bayres is a cdrom depth then it wont work :(

Too late - i already ordered a northbridge block so im gonna use it :p , could stick it on a "Y" loop with the 2 cpus in 1 loops and harddisks and nb in the 2nd loop??

The compact ehiems are much quieter then the external ehiems so ive heard too (and smaller), and silence is what im after rather then cooling so a) no fans at the front - the only fan in my case will be psu, gfx (until i change that too), and the rad up top. No air flow down the bottom. I wouldnt mind sticking a 120mm in the front bottom, that would suit better then working out watercoolers, but the CM201 is designed for 80mm fans and ive found none (not even 12db paspbs (sp?LOL) that can shift any air without any noise like my 120mm LA1 panaflo on 7v.

Tags: