1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware First Look: Asus P7P55 Deluxe

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Guest-16, 6 Aug 2009.

1. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

2. Combinho

Combinho Ten kinds of awesome

Looks good, can't wait until we're actually allowed to hear some numbers.

3. yakyb

yakyb i hate the person above me

i think everyone knows roughly how these perform by now im really interested in the costing we will see

4. capnPedro

capnPedro Hacker. Maker. Engineer.

The board looks gorgeous!

I just wonder how well the RAM is actually held in by one clip..

Oh, and what's with the funny shape of the remote (the hook like thing), can it be mounted somewhere?

5. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

if the price is right, im sold.

hope they do a version without remote and a lot cheaper. IMHO the remove (or any OS overclocking) are a gimmick

6. Dave_M

Dave_M What's a Dremel?

P55 looks great. This motherboard doesn't impress much tho.

7. human_error

human_error What's a Dremel?

I think you missed the point of the new RAM slot ends - they are there so you can swap out your memory while there is a long graphics card installed in the top slot. With the old connectors you'd have to remove the card to be able to open the arms enough to install/remove the ram whereas with the new slots you can install/remove the memory without having to move the card, which can save quite a bit of hassle in a fully installed setup with a cramped case for drop-in ram upgrading.

These P55 boards are looking very nice.

8. blackerthanblack

blackerthanblack Minimodder

Have to agree. It would save more than fractions of a second installing memory if you don't have to remove the graphics card. Quite a good feature really.

9. DragunovHUN

DragunovHUN Modder

"From a usability perspective, it should save fractions of seconds less when installing your memory as there’s only one clip to push down."

Yeah but you'll also lose an important indicator: *click* yeah it's fully seated.

10. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

Holy crap, caps and chokes much?

11. pimonserry

pimonserry sounds like a party.

Looks very nice indeed.

Gigabytes P55-UD5 looks fairly equal to this. :thumb: (except for that stupid SATA controller heatsink)

About the RAM slots, don't motherboards now have them far enough away from even long PCI-E cards? On my Gigabyte X48-DQ6, and the DS4 I had, the clips could come fully undone and still just about not hit the graphics card in the top PCI-E slot.

12. human_error

These boards have the top pci-e slot as a full size x16 slot (which also seems to be the main gpu slot) as there isn't a NB in the way whereas older boards usually left the top slot empty or as a x1 pci-e slot as the northbridge cooling usually needed the space preventing a full size card being installed. This problem is definately hitting this board - look at the pic and the graphics card would be practically touching the locking wings on the ram slots if they were there (and so leaving no room for opening).

pimonserry likes this.
  13. p3n

p3n What's a Dremel?

Am I the only one who just pushes ram into the slot (which engages the clips) instead of fannying around? :p

14. [USRF]Obiwan

[USRF]Obiwan What's a Dremel?

Are those heatpipe/heatsinks just a gimmick? I don't see the point in the cooling construction with roads leading nowhere.

Heatsink/Heatpip----> (nowhere) <----Heatsink/Heatpipe

Unless they are constructed to keep each other warm...

I noticed this on other recent motherboards too.

15. DarkFear

DarkFear What's a Dremel?

Regarding the RAM locking thingies....how would one go about adding an RAM cooler like Corsair bundles with some of their RAM seeing how it uses the "clips" to attach to?

16. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

You, uh, wouldnt

17. pimonserry

pimonserry sounds like a party.

Thanks, my bad. I'd never actually noticed I had a PCIe x1 above my graphics card :worried:
    I see what everyone was getting at now, yes if my graphics card was actually in the first PCIe slot the RAM would stand no chance of clipping in.

18. DarkFear

DarkFear What's a Dremel?

I probably asked for that one…:hehe: I suppose I should have been more specific.

Let’s rephrase that. Does the amount of money saved by ASUS for using these non-clip err...clips REALLY make that big a difference? If I’m spending an obscene amount of money on a motherboard, I don’t think that the 5 extra pounds/dollars/whatever is going to be a big deal.

Also, I know quite a few people who bought a set of Corsair Dominators simply because there was a RAM cooler in the package on display and it looked “cool” (doesn’t say a lot about the company I keep :rolleyes:)

I suppose a lot of people would be annoyed that they can’t use their bundled RAM cooler simply because manufacturers wanted to save a few cents/pence/whatever per board.

(I have no idea where I was going with this…It’s been a SLOW day at the office)

19. DragunovHUN

DragunovHUN Modder

20. human_error

As has been said above these clips are not a money saving feature (in fact it will cost more to have to have 2 toolsets for these plastic clips as opposed to just using the old ones). It is to let users change or add ram with a full size gpu installed, which can't be done without taking the card out if using the normal RAM locking wings.

Tags: Add Tags