1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Should Microsoft be urged to give Vista Ultimate users free Windows 7 upgrades

Discussion in 'Software' started by cribcoch1, 8 Aug 2009.

1. cribcoch1

cribcoch1 Old Age is a Bitch

Should Microsoft be urged to give Vista Ultimate users free Windows 7 upgrades
    Any comments on the above.....even if they gave a upgrade at a nominal amount, it would certainly go a long way to ease the disappointment of those who bought Vista Ultimate and did not receive the extras they were promised.

2. DragunovHUN

DragunovHUN Modder

They ARE giving free upgrades for Vista users. Just not to the losers who bought it early.

Joking aside though, no. Where did you even get such a silly idea?

3. cribcoch1

cribcoch1 Old Age is a Bitch

Reason being why so many Vista Ultimate are miffed, is the non delivery of extras, not such a silly idea really ;-)

Ultimate Extras was one of the features Microsoft cited in the months leading up to the early-2007 release of Windows Vista Ultimate to distinguish it from lower-priced versions. According to Microsoft's marketing, Extras was to regularly provide "cutting-edge programs, innovative services and unique publications" only to Ultimate users.Extras was one of the features Microsoft cited in the months leading up to the early-2007 release of Windows Vista Ultimate to distinguish it from lower-priced versions. According to Microsoft's marketing, Extras was to regularly provide "cutting-edge programs, innovative services and unique publications" only to Ultimate users.

The last time Microsoft delivered Extras was in September 2008, when it released a puzzle game, some sound effects and three screensavers.

4. tin can

tin can What's a Dremel?

They've kind of gone the other way: pissing Ultimate users off still further by only allowing in-place upgrades (as opposed to clean installs) from Vista Ultimate to Win 7 Ultimate. Course, it's infinitely better to do a clean install anyway. :)

5. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

As a 2 Vista Ultimate user, I have no problem with Win7.
    I pre-ordered Win7 Pro. I ended up not using bit-drive encryption on the Ultimate edition. The reason why I got Ultimate edition was to have Home Premium + Business feature. Win7 Pro delivers that.

It's not my fault if people expected a revolution in computing when Microsoft said "extras". I knew since the day I read that Microsoft will have extras, that it would be something like "Plus" back in Win9x days (added sounds, maybe backgrounds, etc...). I was even surprised they added 2 games and Dreamscene.

Also, Microsoft gave interesting rebates to Vista Ultimate users on some products like video cards (Geforce 8800 GTS/GTX, back in the days) but everyone ignore it. Now, the site is long gone.

So really, there is nothing to complain about.

6. Smilodon

Smilodon The Antagonist

Did anyone really buy ultimate only for the extras?

I did it because I tend to experiment with servers occasionally and therefore wanted the business features, but still wanted to keep the media part for the home market.

I would hate to buy a OS for then to discover that it's not the "full version" when I need something.

7. Ending Credits

Ending Credits Bunned

I bought ultimate but only cos it worked out £10 more than basic.

8. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

I saw this earlier this year.. I think it comes from no offer for win 7 ultimate, coming from vista ultimate like the vista premium>win 7 premium

doesn't matter anyways..

9. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

I must say (and yes, i was one of the silly early adopters) - i bought the ultimate edition of Vista. I've also decided that i wasted money on it, and have by now realised that i don't actually need most of the features, and have never actually used one of the "ultimate extras". I therefore AM a bit disappointed (specially since Vista ultimate cost me a good bit more than any other edition), or rather - disillusioned by ultimate editions... i reckon i'm gonna upgrade to Win7 sometime, and then buy a middle-of-the road edition.

10. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

Well now that each edition contains all the feature of the previous one, really the 2 edition is Home Premium or Professional (Home Premium + XP Mode + location aware printer + remote desktop + system image backup + auto backup system + presentation mode + ability to join domain + support up to 192 GB of RAM instead of 16 GB). Ultimate is for those who need bit-drive encryption, but then again you have free solutions like TrueCrypt which is 100% free.