1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics Vid card art

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by DragunovHUN, 8 Aug 2009.

1. DragunovHUN

DragunovHUN Modder

Why do videocard manufacturers feel the need to put these tacky wannabe videogame-characters on their cards and packaging? It's so lame. Like, embarassingly lame. I feel reluctant to posess something like this. Really, does anyone think that it's "cool"?

2. drift

drift What's a Dremel?

Back when I was young(er) they looked cool but then I grew out of it and thought "its in my case, I'm not gonna look at it so I don't care"
    I think its more for marketing purposes more eyecatching and what not when shops show it out the box on a stand.

3. Slizza

Slizza beautiful to demons

if you find video game characters embarrassing, you don't need the card anyway.

4. DragunovHUN

DragunovHUN Modder

Read before posting please. I said "tacky WANNABE" videogame characters. Dodgy imitations that attempt to sucker gamers in but really all they achieve is make gamers look bad. At best.

"Look, this videocard has a cheaply made 3D rendered elf chick stuck on it! Buy it!"

5. Ending Credits

Ending Credits Bunned

I can't think of any particularly bad one (using 4870/90 series as fererence) XFX doesn't really have them (and are doing some pretty sexy cards atm), Powercolor are sinners here but it's quite tasteful, ASUS did it a bit but not suo much now, Gigabyte are fairly bad, MSI? well who buys MSI cards anyway? (ironically I have two) and NVIDIA sure as hell don't do it.

6. KillerLettuce

KillerLettuce custom title

how about Robot Frogs?

[​IMG]

7. DragunovHUN

DragunovHUN Modder

Oh yes. Spectacular.

8. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

My favorite ones were the Visiontek OEM cards(look at the HD4870X2) and pretty much every card w/o a sticker.

The ICE-Q versions of any card w/o stickers looks particularly eye-pleasing.

9. redders

redders What's a Dremel?

robot frog = gamer's choice.

10. Digitalize-

Digitalize- What's a Dremel?

[​IMG]

Bit Risque?

11. Aracos

Aracos What's a Dremel?

ROFL!!!! Hentai on a GFX card that's hilarious :O With the way it's ment to be played logo on it's like saying "Use this card for all your H-Games :cooldude:"

12. docodine

docodine killed a guy once

What the hell!?? :eek:

I usually peel off the sticker, way too tacky (even though I have no case window).

13. bakb0ne

bakb0ne What's a Dremel?

He did read the thread before posting, you said it was "embarassingly lame" and you "feel reluctant to posess something like this".

His comment was correct, If you can judge a graphics card by the picture on the side of it then you shouldnt really be buying one.

how superficial are you?

14. TheMusician

TheMusician Audio/Tech Enthusiast/Historian

[​IMG]

My first card, from several years ago.
    It's like they combined Doom, Heretic, and the Terminator, to make the head of this... monster thingy.

15. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

Imma guess that Diamond is the vendor.

16. Ending Credits

Ending Credits Bunned

I'm guessing the ELSA one is a joke but it wouldn't suprise me a great deal otherwise.

17. DragunovHUN

DragunovHUN Modder

Doesn't that void your warranty though?

I'm not. I don't buy that stuff. I would if i had no other option, but since there are about a dozen videocard manufacturers out there i have a CHOICE. If a dozen manufacturers can provide you the same performance, it's not unreasonable or superficial to pick one that actually looks nice.

I only buy Gainward. Because they have enough decency and taste to only put 3D chicks on the packaging.
    However i wanted something with the reference design for later watercooling potential, and since the reference design Gainward GTX cards are impossible to get hold of anymore i decided to take a look at other manufacturers. Sure enough, character stickers.

If anyone's superficial here, it's graphics card manufacturers. Thinking that if they slap some sticker on their product with a render that took 2 minutes to design and is in no way relevant to anything, it will be like totally gamer yo. Both of you are completely missing the point, so let me rephrase that. You're right, "read before you post" was not correct. I should have said think before you post. (oh dear, my first bit-tech argument)

This thread is not about hating 3D characters. I wouldn't be buying videocards at all if that was the case, since i wouldn't be gaming.

It's about the lame tacky bad quality imitations that get stuck on "gamer" products thinking it'd appeal to us more. I think it's actually discrediting towards gamers and downright insulting towards anyone with any sort of taste in design.

With that said though, i wouldn't really like videocards with Duke Nukem or Max Payne on them either. But even that would be A LOT better than what we have now.

Last edited: 9 Aug 2009
  18. Ending Credits

Ending Credits Bunned

I think he's pointing out that you're buying a card specifically on the image on it (even if it's the opposite of what you'd expect)

19. Ending Credits

Ending Credits Bunned

But it says Crysis on the box! :p (Also what kind of h-game would need a 8800GT?)

20. DragunovHUN

DragunovHUN Modder

Yes i know, i've addressed that. Made several edits after i initially posted that. I tend to hit the Submit button before i'm fully satisfied with what i expressed.

Tags: