1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress Project: Evolutionary

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Franklin, 29 Nov 2006.

1. The boy 4rm oz

The boy 4rm oz Project: Elegant-Li

OMG it's Darkened, got any updates on Orange Monster yet ;).

2. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

Where are you? We NEED more evolutionary!

perplekks45 likes this.
  3. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

QFT!

4. Franklin

Franklin Minimodder

I'll be back soon. Started working on this casemod again last week. I was already close to completing this case but some real life stuff was more important last couple of months. I just wasn't in the mood for casemodding, needed some time to get over something sad. But I'll be back soon, I promise.

perplekks45 likes this.
  5. perplekks45

Sad stuff? Take your time, mate. :thumb:

Oh, and did you receive some rep for this one already? And stars?

6. Cleveland216

Cleveland216 Carbon Fiber King

Your case is called Evolutionary right, not your design?! Cause I dont see anything evolutionary or advanced here in this case. I will give it too you, that some of the effects that you have used are cool, like the shocks and the plexi around the hose. Though to see true cutting edge design work, take a look a Alu-Tech builds. I believe people that work with materials that are tough to cut and bend and shape and form and Than make their build look awesome are the true achievers in the case mod world. Anybody can play with Plexiglass or wood. When someone uses Stainless Steel or Steel, than the art of building changes, because the way you have to mold and bring together the pieces of material are truly alot different and more difficult. Nice work though!

7. Franklin

Franklin Minimodder

8. perplekks45

What the hell Cleve? :eyebrow:

You can say you don't like it, it's your opinion after all, but insulting everybody working with anything other than steel is just a joke!

Oh, and while you're re-reading your post, could you please get some kind of structure in it, check spelling and capitalization? Much appreciated. :thumb:

9. The boy 4rm oz

He did a lot of fiberglass casts, that is much harder than working with wood and plexi.

I'm interested in seeing your work now, see if you can practice what you preach.

Last edited: 9 Aug 2009
  10. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

Sorry Franklin. It was not my intent to wake you up so you could get poo-poo'd by some Douchebag.

11. ModMinded

ModMinded Are you throwing that away?

QFT!
    Take care of your real life stuff, we'll be eagerly awaiting the coolness to come (or evolve, if you will!)

still subbed!

12. Richh999

Richh999 Small Time Modder

Well all I can say is that I think this is Evolutionary, I don't have the skills to build fibreglass molds like him or anything but I can bend a piece of steel in a brake and use a cnc mill to cut it and I know loads who can. I guess I think that things that I'm not great at are amazing but I presume things I've been taught to do are easy...

I don't know but I do know I love this build especially the HD caddie...

Sorry if I've come across strongly or anything, its just my opinion and why should you take mine as I'm some randomer in the uk...

Last edited: 9 Aug 2009
  13. youeffsee

youeffsee What's a Dremel?

Sooo nice.... I really love what you did with the PSU cables and your hose clamps.

I dedicate this song to you. :thumb::clap:

14. Cleveland216

I just wanted to know if your consider case Evolutionary in terms of design or if that was just the name!? I'm not hating on your project! As other people are implying. When the medium material used for building does change, Yes the build can become alot harder, depending on the fabrication process. I think that if we all had a 10 million dollar CNC machine shop with AutoCad, the case modding world would be crazy awesome in design. Though this is not so, although the level of design that people are creating and fabricating with the tools they have, shows a level of innovation that is unique in and of itself. That is why the case's take on a personality of their own. Which makes the way one design's and fabricates their case so important. I believe that people that use tougher materials and a more caveman like approach in the fabrication process deserve more credit! Not because they are doing it the tough way with tough material, but to keep in mind we all dont have unlimited funds and equipment at our dispense, like I stated earlier. People that use Stainless Steel or Steel or Copper or some other exotic medium and use very little tools in the fabrication process and come out with a case mod that is awesome in appearance deserve alot of credit for how they went about their build. So with that all said, maybe Bit-Tech staff will start to take that into account when viewing case mod's, if they already dont! Just a suggestion/random thought! Now my brain is all taxed out, now I need to find some more caffeine, lol!

15. The boy 4rm oz

I understand where you are coming from but coming out of no where and basically saying you think inferior materials should warrant the modder no credit is a bit harsh, by saying these things you basically insulted each and everyone of us on the forum and you deserved the responses you got to your post. I have seen many many projects made out of the simplest materials (such as plexi and alu) with the most basic design turn out amazingly, works of art. I have also seen mods made from harder materials such as stainless steel and granite turn out well, but I have seen more bad ones than good ones.

Personally I believe that each material has it's ideal uses and trying to use it for something that it isn't suited for is a waste of your time. Sure you could make a case out of stainless steel but an alu case is more versatile, cheaper, easier to work with and in most cases will look better under the right circumstances.

I have worked with many many metals, copper, iron, stainless and in the end they all have their downfalls, it's about choosing the right material for the job. There is no point saying "I am gonna make an all stainless case and that's that" and then spend the time designing and building it when you know an alu case will probably end up looking better due to its versatility, be much cheaper and save you many hours in labor, that's just pure ignorance.

16. perplekks45

No you're saying G69T's mods aren't as impressive or innovative as others because he has access to a big-ass CNC at work?

I beg to differ. :p

And I agree with the boy that there is a material for every job.

17. TAG

TAG What's a Dremel?

@Cleveland216
    If you like and admire the work of Alu-Tech so much why do you come here and puke all over Franklin's work instead of giving Alu-Tech a thumb's up in his thread. No sign of your presence there. That's pathetic.

@Franklin
    Amazing work so far, can't wait to see what else you'll be coming up with. I've worked a bit with fiberglass before and I found it really hard to get clean shapes. I ended up using tons of bondo and my parts were kinda thick.
    By the way, just an unmolding tip: Try and drill a hole and use a compressor to blow some air in between your shape and mold. With unmolding wax and if the shape is well suited for that it'll just pop out and you wouldn't stress the shape so much.

18. Monkey Puzzle

Monkey Puzzle Minimodder

Perhaps, and I must admit I cast an envious eye when people have access to expensive machinery that makes possible things that couldn't be done with a dremel and other simpler tools. The thing is though, that a good project comes from getting the best from what you have available. If you have a CNC milling machine you can make wonderful creations with beautiful precise cuts and lines; much cleaner than even the best could make by hand.

The trouble is that if you can't do justice to a material, it's probably not a good idea to use it, as the final result won't look very good.

I think they probably already do take that into account, but with exotic machinery the design can be more intricate and extravagant, and is more likely to be a great looking project.

I, and no doubt many reading this thread, don't think you've given Franklin enough credit on the work he's done - there's a lot of extremely skillful work in this project so your comments do seem a bit overly harsh, especially since people post their projects here to share them, and get others input, either positive or constructive criticism. So to say "what's with the name? that doesn't look evolutionary to me!" isn't very helpful.

Anyhow, with all that said, this project is looking fantastic - that sign looks absolutely beautiful. I look forward to future updates!:thumb:

Last edited: 11 Aug 2009
  19. Cleveland216

Here in America, I cant find cheap Aluminum! There is no such thing as cheap Aluminum in the US, at least from all my research and going to a machine shop and asking about AL prices in bulk. However Stainless Steel or Steel on the other hand is quite cheaper than AL, actually far cheaper, plus I can find it in the scrap pile alot easier than sheets of AL.

I agree with your post to a point. The point is the material of your case adds or is the personality of your case. Not all People are exposed to cheap forms of material across the market. So those of us who are poor, which is a popular consensus in the community, have to work with whatever we can get our hands on for Cheap! I think if we could all make our case out of AL, than we would, but the community is not that way, Obviously! Why? Once again people prefer to use different materials, not only from a cost point of view, but from the stand-point of asthetics! Which comes full circle, to personality of the case.

I'm not hating, bro! Anywork done in this community forum is extremely skillful!

So you think I'm puking over someone's work, was that literally or physically? Nevermind, Lolz!

20. The boy 4rm oz

Hmm, I don't understand why alu costs so much for you. I can get a 500x500mm 3mm thick sheet for around $15-20AUD, that is cheap and everywhere I have been it's been anywhere between $15-30AUD, I would think it would be even cheaper for you in the US. It's even cheaper if you go to a metal workshop and get their offcuts.