1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice PC for sister

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Invictus., 8 Aug 2009.

1. Invictus.

Invictus. Minimodder

Well my sister only has a laptop and for a xmas present I'm thinking along with my older sister on going 1/2 on a PC that will play Sims 3 (her fav. game) The min specs for it are -

* 2.0 GHz P4 processor or equivalent
    * 1 GB RAM
    * At least 6.5 GB of hard drive space with at least 1 GB additional space for custom content
    * 128 MB Video Card with support for Pixel Shader 2.0

Would you say its possible to build a PC for say no more than £200 max that can play it? or even buy a prebuild that will run it.. Oh and preferably be a small case to fit in her small room and price doesnt include monitor as we have plenty of them

Thanks in advance if anyone knows / thinks this is possible.

2. cmd

cmd What's a Dremel?

I have no experience whatsoever in your kind of situation, but a few things popped into my head:
    • Dell Outlet
    • Some of these are cheap
    • eBay the whole pc?
    • Get a super cheap pc which you can fit a graphics card in (could eBay just the graphics card)?
    • £200 might be hard, perhaps try to get your parents to chip in some.
    Out of those, I'd say eBay-the-whole-thing is your best bet if you're stuck under £200. Obviously eBay has its risks.

Just some ideas.

edit:
    forgot to mention anything about building your own:
    Usually prebuilt pcs are better value when it comes to the super cheap, however I don't know anything about self building anything less than an i7 build :)

Last edited: 8 Aug 2009
  3. TheMusician

TheMusician Audio/Tech Enthusiast/Historian

[​IMG]

If you have an existing hard drive you can use, then this should be able to play it on high. Maybe even max, if you have a 1280x1024 monitor or lower.

It's slightly more than 200 quid, but it's a solid system. Bumping down to a 350W power supply and maybe cutting the RAM down to 3GB could help it reach your goal.

4. llamafur

llamafur WaterCooled fool

my sig has a cheap build in it

5. Zurechial

Zurechial Elitist

Thread title led me to believe someone was offering a trade.

Disappointed.

Guest-16 and mm vr like this.
  6. mm vr

mm vr The cheesecake is a lie

My sister is playing Sims 3 on an Athlon 3000+, 2GB, Geforce FX5600 rig, albeit at lowest graphics, but still. That game definitely doesn't need much hardware.

Rosewill was one of the worst PSU manufacturers, but they have actually made decent PSUs lately. Read a review at Jonnyguru but can't find it now.

But I'd still not trust them. Just get the Corsair CX400/VX450 to be sure.

7. Invictus.

Invictus. Minimodder

Lol If you still want the deal you can :p She's a annoying one xD Anyway thanks for all the help been talking to parents about it and they aint letting me do it due to space or something.. And cost anyway once again thanks :)

8. TheMusician

I love the "Sort by Best Rating" function on Newegg.

9. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

User Reviews. That bastion of truth and balance, right up there with wikipedia.

OMG IT WORKS 5*!!!!1o1n1one

IT SUX! BECAUSE I CANT READ A MANUAL!

10. TheMusician

But then couldn't very terrible products also come up? What if some people have had great experiences, while others had terrible experiences?

11. jrjn_kiss

jrjn_kiss What's a Dremel?

My wife plays The Sims 3 on max settings on an old core 2 duo E6550, with no problems.

The following comes in at £328.74

Amd Phenom II X2 550 Black (which benchmarks well above an E6550)
    Msi 770-C45
    Corsair Twin3X2048 - 1333c9g
    HIS HD 4770 512MB
    OCZ Vendetta 2
    OCZ ModXStream Pro 500w

This combination will easily run The Sims 3 on max settings at stock speed, but if you wanted to you could easily overclock the cpu to.

I hope this helps.

12. docodine

docodine killed a guy once

It also eliminates the products with one review and five eggs, there aren't many items that have lots of reviews and a poor rating.

13. jake9891

jake9891 Loves Internet Shopping

I upgraded my old packard bell and gave it to my sister. The spec is:
    *Pentium 4 3.06 GHz
    *2x1GB-667 and 2x512MB-667 RAM
    *Seagate 160 GB HDD which makes strange noises since it was new, but runs fine
    *GeForce 8400 GT, overclocked and cracked, so it appears as a 8600GT
    *PB motherboard, gigabyte with quite odd model number

Runs quick enough for playing the Sims 3

14. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

That's true, but unless you read all of them to determine who's a tard and who knows what they are talking about. But if everyone defaults to 5* then people end up ONLY looking for 5* products. It's a flawed initial process of product investigation that I even find I do myself!!

I've talked to manufacturers about Newegg before and it NEVER deletes a user rating no matter how ****ing idiotic, but there's also quite a few reviews (Killer NIC used to be, dunno if it still is) on newegg that are clearly companies bending the process with 5* reviews.

15. smc8788

smc8788 Multimodder

Exactly. In the time it takes to sift through all the crap written on Newegg you could have gone and read a proper, well written, thorough review on that product. It's a no brainer as to which one is more reliable. The number 1 star reviews from people saying it didn't work or DOAs should be enough to tell you that their rating are in no way indicative of the quality of the product.