1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motors How to get insured on this car??

Discussion in 'General' started by Ransoman, 7 Aug 2009.

1. Ransoman

Ransoman What's a Dremel?

Hello Folks.

I am Experiancing a problem getting my 2nd car insured. Basically i am 23 years old, my dad passed onto me his old Porsche 944 2.5 LUX. It needed a bit of work which i have now completed and now wants an MOT. Problem is, i can't get it insured! I only wanted it insured for a few days so i can drive it to and from the testing station but temporary car insurance companies won't cover me because A: I am not over 24 or b: because the car is too old.

I have found 1 place that will cover the car but not me because i have to be over 30!

Does anyone have any recomendations? I would like the MOT the car and then sell it, or sell the alfa and use the Porsche as a daily driver, but at this time i don't want to insure it for any longer than a couple of weeks.

Cheers.

2. gar

gar Minimodder

Why not get your dad to inuse it can get it tested so you can put it through mot? Or then let him insure it and put you on as a named drive might work. Not sure though, just an idea.

3. Pieface

Pieface Modder

When are you 24 years old?

4. soopahfly

soopahfly Minimodder

Confused and Compare the Market sites are useless with cars like this.

Try Adrian Flux. The comparison sites wanted over £2000 for my Delica, and over £3000 for my Soarer.

Adrian flux - £480 Delica
    £580 Soarer

I was 25 when I got the Delica.

5. bixie_62

bixie_62 Minimodder

Hi,

Get your dad to insure it temporarily so you can get the MOT etc done (make it roadworthy)

Then sort yourself out with insurance from Quinn direct (i'm not sure of any other insurers that do this type of cover)

I'm with Quinn myself, and Basically, provided the car is roadworthy (MOT'd and Taxed) then you'll be covered to drive it, although, only 3rd party.

Otherwise, wait until your 24!

good luck

6. D3s3rt_F0x

D3s3rt_F0x What's a Dremel?

944? If its older than 15 years go for some classic car insurance and pay pretty much nothing.

7. 13eightyfour

13eightyfour Formerly Titanium Angel

+1
    according to wiki porsche stopped making them in 1991 so it will indeed be old enough to qualify for classic insurance.

Ive just been through lancasters site, using details for an 88' 944 2.5 lux assuming i was 23 with no no claims and 5000miles as a second car. it came back with £379.57 fully comp. Very reasonable i rekon.

8. bixie_62

bixie_62 Minimodder

:jawdrop:
    Why is it everyone else seems to live in areas where insurance is ridiculously cheap?!

I'm paying £1495.57 3rd party fire and theft for my little 1.5 almera!

9. 13eightyfour

OUCH!! i should have said in my previous post that it will be heavily postcode dependant, mines an NG34 code which even though being in lincolnshire comes under nottinghamshire postal codes?!

My 02 bora 2.3 V5 costs me £550 fully comp, with NO no claims, at 25 years old.

Seems there are some perks to living here :thumb:

10. Ransoman

Thanks for the tips everyone. I might resort to getting my dad to insure it and drive it to the test. I might also try this lancaster place, Thanks Titanium Angel.

Whilst we are all comparing our current rates, i am paying £350 for the Alfa fully comp. not bad for a group 16 car but i live in a good postcode.

11. Ransoman

How did you manage that?? I just went to the same website. 1985 car, all details accurate. 4000miles and i was quoted £1480!! If it was £379 i would have accepted it there and then!

12. 13eightyfour

Ive just gone through it again same details, but forgot to say i was 23 so its down as me being 25, Thats why its a bit cheaper but ive gone through the process to the payment stage and its valid
    [​IMG]

13. Fozzy

Fozzy What's a Dremel?

I had a similar problem getting inspections on my car. I called the inspections office and talked to the head there then I went and got signed permission from a police officer to drive it to and from the inspections station. Although I didn't get pulled over anyways so i really didn't even need it.

14. Ransoman

It is an insurance group 20 car so it must be that high because i am not over 25. Meh, looks like i will have to give it another year before I can drive my childhood dream car.

Maybe sell it as a project and buy an s2 or turbo when i hit 25.

Thanks for your help.