1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News EA looking to revive classic Bullfrog games

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 11 Aug 2009.

1. Fumduck

Fumduck Have torch, will melt.

Dungeon Keeper!!!!!!!

It's good to be bad. :) Anyone else remember the torture chamber with the black mistress? And how she loved to be whipped? :naughty:

2. Abhorsen

Abhorsen Minimodder

Theme Hospital for iPhone please!!

3. TurtlePerson2

TurtlePerson2 What's a Dremel?

Populous was the only Bullfrog title I ever played. I really enjoyed the title.

4. Otto69

Otto69 What's a Dremel?

I'd buy Dungeon Keeper 1 & 2 again in a quick second, IF they were either enhanced ports to XP, OR, if they were competently done enhancements. But screw with the base game at your own risk EA!

No doubt EA would remove the final cut scene where the captured knight is accidentally zapped with a wand of polymorph into a troll female....to the interest of the surrounding troll males .

5. DragunovHUN

DragunovHUN Modder

^The last time i tried, DK 1 and 2 both worked fine on XP.

The article is pretty clear on the fact that they want to make a new game, not a remake, sadly. So i wouldn't hope for an "enhanced port"

6. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

Theme hospital - NEED NEED NEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEED!

7. airchie

airchie What's a Dremel?

Screw that, Theme Hospital and Theme Park for Android, pretty please!!! :D

8. bahgger

bahgger Minimodder

I was just saying earlier today how I felt like playing Theme Hospital again.. and it would work well on the iPhone in its remade format so I don't see any need to adjust it to the times. Port now ASAP!

9. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

Theme Park for iPhone/iTouch please! It wouldn't be too much work either, given their brilliant [but too short] Lemonade Tycoon.

Other than that I'm all for remakes but if they change the mechanics it'll most likely suck.

10. Omnituens

Omnituens What's a Dremel?

32bit XP will run the software render DK1, but not the DirectX version (not a valid Win32 app)

64bit XP will not run either, as the launcher is 16bit :(

11. knyghtryda

knyghtryda What's a Dremel?

how about Hi-Octane for the iphone? The original graphics can definitely stay, and it would make for an awesome little racing game.

12. Skiddywinks

Skiddywinks Minimodder

Theme Hospital, Dungeon Keeper and Syndicate are still some of my favourite games of all time.

Unfortunately, as excited as I would like to be, this is EA we are talking about. Consolification is going to ruin anything they try to remake. Or not, as the case maybe.

Whatever they do, it is going to butcher some of the best games ever made. The consoles are such a powerful business force at the moment, and a company like EA is not going to miss an oppurtunity to make money. And there in lies the problem; these were PC games.

13. haddow64

haddow64 What's a Dremel?

I would love t if EA just updated these games with 3D graphics and SOME new features (note to EA: a new feature does not include DRM).

But I get the feeling that they will just take these classics and ruin them to make as much cash as possible.

14. DragunovHUN

DragunovHUN Modder

But i strongly remember playing DK1 on 32 bit XP pre-SP3.

15. UncertainGod

UncertainGod Minimodder

Dungeon Keeper, Populous & Syndicate are the titles that scream out for a reboot, especially Syndicate as that possibly the most awesome of the awesome games generation as I now call it (others could refer to it as the Amiga games generation).

16. B3CK

B3CK Minimodder

I should think that any tweaking of the games will ruin them in my opinion. As to them not standing up in today's day and time, BS. Just because the games are old or the graphics aren't anywhere where they are today, doesn't mean that they are not playable.
    If they do port or remake, they should provide an original playable of the title; and if they want to tweak, put the updated version out alongside of the original. The originals were good because of the game. Tetris is simple, and still getting played strongly.
    But, just my opinion.

17. Lazarus Dark

Lazarus Dark Minimodder

"If you remember all the old classics you played, if you go back and play them now, they're not the same. They were right for their time, and the trick with those games is coming up with what's right for the time now," Elliot told Kikizo.

BS. I still break out Populous the Beginning and Dungeon Keeper once or twice a year. And I still find them far better than any other games out there, I can play them for a week straight and not get bored. I did get Populous for the DS and that's pretty cool with the stylus. I wouldn't mind a graphics update though, just don't mess with it. If it ain't broke don't fix it. Not sure I'd care about another sequel or spinoff, but I'd buy a graphics update for sure.

18. Skiddywinks

Skiddywinks Minimodder

While I totally disagree with the statement you quoted (what a load of horsehit), you have to appreciate that nostalgia is a powerful force. Games people tell me are amazing that I missed the first time around, I just can't get in to. Some things really do depend on the time. I could play X-Com until the sun rises (and often do), but try getting my younger brother to, or any of my friends my age who missed it, and it just doesn't happen.

Releasing these games with better graphics would help a lot, but they are still only going to cater mianly to the old fans. Unfortunately, times do move on and cultures change, so a revival really would need something changed. But I disagree with him saying that going back to your old favourites is different and worse. They are always just as good for me, but I can appreciate that is only because of nostalgia.

19. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

A good game is a good game and will stay a good game. Graphics and sounds might age but mechanics hardly ever do.

Every good RTS is based on paper-scissor-stones, one way or the other. It's like a good movie or book: They're great when first released but they'll be watched/read by the next generations to come. Take Hitchcock's movies as an example, or the Bond novels.

20. Paradigm Shifter

Paradigm Shifter de nihilo nihil fit

Depends how open you are to 'old' new things, I guess - I didn't play X-Com the first time around, but when I did finally play it I enjoyed it. Same with a lot of sprite-based RPGs - didn't play them the first time around (like on the SNES) but have since played the PS1/GBA/DS/PSP rerelease (or frequently all of them) and was totally drawn in. I first played Chrono Trigger (on an emulator) around the time when Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy was released... and I enjoyed Chrono Trigger more. ;)

Tags: Add Tags