1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motors I'm building my own car... UPDATE - Stoneliegh 2013

Discussion in 'General' started by GreatOldOne, 8 Sep 2005.

1. customh

customh conflagration.

GOO, read the Switch articles, where is the 4th installation?

2. jhanlon303

jhanlon303 The Keeper of History

Nice to have friends on a diet. Well met.

john

3. GreatOldOne

GreatOldOne Wannabe Martian

That was a long time ago, possibly in a galaxy far, far, away.

Unfortunatly the 4th installmant was sucked through a rift in spacetime and is now in an alternate universe where lt is being venerated as the word of the creator. ;)

Ahem. Sorry. No 4th installment. Never got round to it, and then one thing led to another.... You know how it is.

Suffice to say, MrsGOO thinks Macs rock. And gaming on a Mac is whole lot better than it was at that time, as they're all Intel based now, and if you really need to, you can run windows on it via virtualisation or Boot Camp.

Anyhoo. Back to the car! :thumb:

4. GreatOldOne

Need a little help.

I need to find a supplier of thin 'trim' nuts for the toggle switches on the GOOster. Whilst they all look the same, they are from different manufacturers and came with different style mounting nuts. (See the pic of the centre console several posts up)

I'd like to get a set of matching ones for them. They're all the same fine M12 thread (1.00mm thread pitch), but Google as I may, I can't seem to find anywhere that supplies them...

Maybe I'm looking for the wrong thing? I'd call it a trim or panel nut - but It may be called something else.

Ta

GOO

5. Moriquendi

Moriquendi Bit Tech Biker

You might try searching for "jam nuts" or "lock nuts" which are special thing nuts made to prevent another nut from turning. I don't know whether you'd be able to find chromed ones but you could probably find ones in stainless.

The other alternative might be to find a cheap toggle switch that uses 12x1 thread and buy enough of them to use their nuts in place of the ones you have from different manufacturers.

Moriquendi

6. GreatOldOne

Yeah - I thought of that, but it seemed such a waste buying whole switches and then only using the nut... But I'm coming to conclusion that this is the only option.

7. Moriquendi

Moriquendi Bit Tech Biker

There's no reason why you couldn't then use cheap switches with different nuts for applications where looks aren't important or where they're hidden.

Moriquendi

8. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

There is an ebay store i found back a while ago and thought, ooo there useful to know about.

Just searched there store and found these. Any good?

Slim nuts tend to be called 'half nuts' and not because they got one ball! I've only been searching for 2 minutes, so im sure i will find them!

EDIT, you sure its a 1mm pitch and not a 1.25mm

Last edited: 14 Aug 2009
  9. GreatOldOne

Thanks for trying, but I've ended up buying 3 toggle switches from Maplin, and I'm using the nuts from them on the ones on the console.

P.S. Yes they are 1mm threads. :)

10. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

Oh noes not maplin dude, there a huge rip off! RS components are far cheaper!!

Well at least the gooster has got its nuts, ooo err that dont sound right! lol!

11. GreatOldOne

With a little imagination, even B&Q cupboard catches become automotive parts! :)

[​IMG]

The drivers side bonnet stay had to be cranked to clear the master cylinder.

[​IMG]

The retaining clip is a brass 50mm cupboard catch, which is a perfect fit for the 6mm round bar I used for the stays. The catch has two spring loaded ball bearings that spring in and out when you clip the stay in.

[​IMG]

The other side has a straight stay, but is mounted to the plate that holds up the AFM, as I couldn't get to the bonnet panel due to the long mounting bar.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Both stays are different lengths, due to the locations on each side, but I've tried to make both sides open the respective bonnet side to the same angle... I think it's pretty even. If you squint. ;)

[​IMG]

I've taken them all off and have sprayed all the parts with chassis black, and I'm going to add some heatshrink to the tops of the stays to stop the paint from flaking off in the clips.

Krikkit likes this.
  12. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Nice work again GOO, very nice.

Decided on a colour yet? Thoughts on spray date?

Has the IVA list been trimmed down to less than a thousand items yet? :p

13. GreatOldOne

1. BRG of some description.
    2. After passing the IVA, and fitting my windscreen.
    3. No. :lol:

14. Krikkit

15. _DTM2000_

_DTM2000_ Minimodder

Hi GOO, the car's looking awesome and I really admire your attention to detail, skill and patients.

I've been following your progress right from the beginning and the thing that amazes me the most about the project is the amount of parts you've had to fashion your self or modify. Until I started reading this thread my idea of a kit car was that you bought a kit that contained everything you needed and then just built it. Frankly I'm astonished at how much extra effort you've had to put into this. I really wouldn't class this as a "kit" car any more, to me it's a hand crafted car. I really look forward to seeing the finished product! Keep up the good work.

Dave.

16. GreatOldOne

So am I :lol:

I thought building the Marlin would be an easy first step into the world of kit cars - I thought a Cobra or a Sebring may have been to much for a newcomer. Ha!

Maybe if I'd done a Westie or a Chaterham, it would have been more like meccano.

Not complaing though. I enjoy problem solving and fabricating parts. Makes me feel as If I accomplished something! :D

17. Krikkit

I'd forgotten about the fact that Marlin call this a "kit"... To me it's always been the thread title - "I'm building my own car"

18. stonedsurd

stonedsurd Is a cackling Yuletide Belgian

QFT :thumb:

Great work, GOO

19. GreatOldOne

Eeeek! :eeek:

I've just ordered my seats from Interior Seating - Port with black piping. I've also got matching gaiters, and I ordered 6 meters of vinyl - it's probably way too much for what I need to cover (dash, console, boot closure panels), but at least I'll have some extra for the inevatable stuff ups. :)

I've also ordered some nice Willans belts from Merlin Motorsports aloing with the sholder pads.

I certainly feel a lot lighter now. :lol:

20. Krikkit

Nice GOO - vinyl or leather?