1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaming Command and Conquer 4 Preview

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 12 Aug 2009.

1. DragunovHUN

DragunovHUN Modder

Untill now, i think EA handled C&C exceptionally well compared to themselves. But this? This is almost as bad as what they've done to Sim City.

They just don't get it. If they want to make an "accessible" RTS, they should create a new franchise instead of ruining the only one they had by stripping it not only of the traditions of the franchise, but also those of the genre.

2. thEcat

thEcat What's a Dremel?

Let's see. How does this stack up against the things I loved most about the old C&C ?

Interesting maps, none of the designed for multi-player crap.

Need to explore, none of this follow the arrow nonsense.

Limited unit missions, so frustrating but so rewarding in the end...
    'You must take out the six SAM sites, rescue the prisoners and sabotage the main base. The enemy sites are guarded by laser walls, missile towers, machine gun posts, mines and dog patrols. Infantry and armour units have all access routes under constant surveillance. A good sized army would be shredded in minutes. You have Tanya. Tanya has a gun.'
    ROCK!

FMV Yay.

Need to research hopefully, interesting things. I almost cried in a certain game, mission one when I was given (!) the most powerful tank in the game! What? No!

The whole idea is to aspire, to earn, to play the game, not rush along an arrowed express route spanning a strangely symmetrical landscape certain in the knowledge that you cannot fail.

3. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

Sounds good, wasn't too interested in C&C4 before as C&C3 was only out not long ago. If they change it so it's not more of the same except slightly different then that sounds like a step in the right direction to me.

4. lewchenko

lewchenko Minimodder

I skipped RA3, but I may give this one a try. I actually like the idea of the persistent net connection and the class elements. About time we had some fresh ideas in the RTS world.

BUT... and its a huge BUT.... the biggest problem with C&C games has been the extremely limited field of view. Its like you are zoomed in 2" above the battlefield. It doesnt have to be as good as SupCom's (that would be perfect), but it needs to change. Its a borderline deal breaker for me if it doesnt change from C&C3.

5. Horizon

Horizon Dremel Worthy

How am I supposed to play on my laptop when I am not at home?

6. The_EXorcist

The_EXorcist Possibly Australian

C&C died with Westwood studios

7. The boy 4rm oz

The boy 4rm oz Project: Elegant-Li

Sure did, Tiberium Sun and RA:YR are the best IMO, although I am partial to C&C Generals.

8. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

generals zero hour was fun but im going to have to agree, C&C is dead.

9. sotu1

sotu1 Ex-Modder

"And, though there’s been a lot of uproar lately about the constant ‘net requirement, we fail to see why it’s so bad for most gamers. The days of dial-up and paying by the minute are a distant memory for most people and, as long as the system is as transparent and lagless as we hope, it shouldn’t function very differently from a good MMO. Most people have their PCs constantly online when they play anyway...but we digress."

THANK YOU FOR SAYING THIS! I got so frustrated when everyone took to arms over the constant online issue!

I see this as work in progress, could be good could be bad. I'm thinking it may a bit of a balls up due to the fact that at this stage they still too many loose ends which sounds like a bit of a dev nightmare.

10. SMIFFYDUDE

SMIFFYDUDE Supermodders on my D

F*ck sake why does EA have to own everything. "more accessible", we all know what that means. If their games become any more "accessible" they'll be nothing more than gloryfied screen savers.

11. C-Sniper

C-Sniper Stop Trolling this space Ądmins!

QFT!!

I wish someone would do a remake of Tiberian Sun or the Original CNC on one of the new game engines

12. Sh00ter

Sh00ter What's a Dremel?

after wasting my money on c&c3 (it never worked until i dl a copy) i wont be wasting my money on any more of ea's tat thank you

13. V3ctor

V3ctor Tech addict...

Sincerely, I don't like this C&C... I have Dawn of War II, and I love it... But C&C is another type of game, I don't want to play C&C feeling like I'm playing DoW... I was going to buy this game, but it just lost all of it's appeal... Loved C&C Generals/ZH and all others I own them all, but this (to me) is not the way to go.

Respawn? WTH... MCV with guns I agree but only with "light guns", don't like the part that it's mobile too, u have to stick with your base and defend it to hell... U never loose a game, just respawn, that sickens me...

At the end of the day I just want:

DoW to be DoW
    C&C to be C&C (losing identity?)

Put new units, pimp up the graphics, make some improvements on some units, BUT don't ruin the game

14. pendragon

pendragon I pickle they

wow I haven't played a good ol' RTS in ages... one of these days I need to pick up a copy of Supreme Commander... I'm really unsure about this game though, sounds... fishy ... but I'll wait till it comes out 'n see

15. MiNiMaL_FuSS

MiNiMaL_FuSS ƬӇЄƦЄ ƁЄ ƇƠƜƧ ӇЄƦЄ.

JUST REMAKE READ-ALERT 2!

Easy, cheap, and everyone would be happy with an EA product!

16. MiNiMaL_FuSS

MiNiMaL_FuSS ƬӇЄƦЄ ƁЄ ƇƠƜƧ ӇЄƦЄ.

^I've seen the original C7C being remade somewhere...isn't is called Tiberium dawn?

17. flibblesan

flibblesan Destroyer

Looks good but it's EA so it'll end up being crap to play.

18. samkiller42

samkiller42 For i AM Cheesecake!!

Watch BCPT and Apoc gives mod details, and yes, there are various mods that are rebuilding the Original C&C Dawn, as well as Red Alert 2, and bringing them into Sage (Gernals, C&C3, RA3 engine) And then theres Renegade X which is a remake of Renegade, but made in the Unreal Engine.

I really wish people would stop moaning about the Camera height, it isn't Supreme Commander, it's C&C, it's always been a static camera height, the fact you can now zoom is somewhat of a bonus, although i never really zoom. And, if you don't like the Camera height, alter the height yourself in the ini setting, it's what i have to do with Generals on my Widescreen panel.

Sam

19. BlackMage23

BlackMage23 RPG Loving Freak

Its Fisher Price, my first C&C.

But I guess EA kinda know that they are gona be in the shadow of SC2 so are just tring anything to get intrest.

20. Skiddywinks

Skiddywinks Minimodder

What Is the point of this respawn bollocks? I mean really, all it will do is make people send in massive armies, desroy everything except the MCV, leave a minimal enough army behind to take out the MCV (to save the vast majority of your army), and when you new one lands and takes out everything, the other player will still have a massive army.

And even if you coudln't be snide and save your army, you still have a working, large and presumably high tech base ready to pump out high end units.

Tags: Add Tags