1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Peripherals I need some speakers

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Aracos, 16 Aug 2009.

1. Aracos

Aracos What's a Dremel?

As the title suggests ima get me some speakers!!! Damn you Bindi you made me want to upgrade mine!

I got a 2.1 Silvercrest set and they just don't cut the mustard, they aren't powerful, don't have much oomph, subwoofer is pretty crap, I hear more bass coming from my creative fatal1ty headset, they buzz, you NEED the volume wheel past a certain volume for the left speaker to kick in, the wire needs to be in a certain posistion to get any audio from the 2 speakers at all XD and 13 watts RMS (lols). I need a hand picking some speakers. I wanna go 5.1 as I don't buy anything to do with audio often so it should be enough, I prefer headphones for stereo so 2.0 and 2.1 is pretty wasted on me. Any good sets you can suggest? I got an X-Fi XtremeGamer sound card so my sound card is good to go, I game, listen to music although mostly on headphones to stop the others in the house complaining and I watch anime a lot :)

I would LOVE to get the Logitech Z5500's but my budget is around £50-70 but prefer not to go to £70 as it's a tad high for me right now. Cheers :)

EDIT: Mods if this is in the incorrect place please move it.

2. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

I can heavily recommend the Creative series - I have some T40's and they're excellent, Bindi has a pair of T20's and apparently they're pretty good too.

3. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

Logitech Z4's there awesome and can be had for as low as £40.

4. Aracos

Aracos What's a Dremel?

5.1 guys 5.1 :)

5. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

5.1 on your budget = S*** seriously! thats 5 parts for less than £10 a unit including the sub, sorry but a huge waste of cash!

the creative T20 and T40 are awesome and would out do any cheap 5.1 crap. The logitech Z-4's include a decent sub, and audio quality is superb, considering the Z-4's started out costing £70, but now reduced due to replacement around the corner.

Krikkit likes this.
  6. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

My daughter has the £50 Logitech X-530's and they aren't S***.

I have £1400 worth of surround sound gear in my lounge and obviously the 530's arn't as good as that gear but I was very pleasantly surprised by how good they sound.

I believe the X-540's are that bit better again and are still under your £70 budget.

7. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

8. Aracos

Aracos What's a Dremel?

I'm in pounds sterling land. Ok I see I'm only gonna get 2.0 or 2.1 recommendations on this forums where everything must be uber :)

So, increase my budget? I currently have £90 that I can spend right now but I get £50 every week, anything at the £100-£130ish mark for 5.1? Or am I just gonna end up going the whole hog and buying the Logitech Z-5500's?

9. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

I don't want to rain on your parade, but they really are IMO. I bought a set because I thought having some cheap surround in the spare room would be nice - returned them within an hour of unboxing them. I didn't go in expecting much, but I was bitterly disappointed

10. decebal_12000

decebal_12000 Minimodder

If I will be to change my speakers I will go for Z5500 without any doubt (even if I do not have money I will borrow and I will buy them). They are the best at the moment. I`ve seen them at my brother and they rock!!!:rock:

11. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

the reason you'll get 2.0 and 2.1 recommendations is because we want to make sure you get the best for your money considering your budget.

If you get a 5.1 set up will you be able to put two speakers behind you to get true surround sound or will you do what most noob's do and throw them all in front of yourself on the desk?

A quality 2.1 set up will destroy a cheap 5.1 set up.

12. decebal_12000

decebal_12000 Minimodder

Yes is true what you say and also I do not understand why people put all the speakers in front if they have 5.1. They must be :duh: to buy something about what they do not know what to do with!!!:wallbash:

13. Hakira

Hakira Bored.

You could try getting a HTIB system. They tend to give you decent output for the price for a 5.1 system. Only issue is you want to make sure that you check that it has 6 ch. discreet inputs so you can use your card.

I personally have this setup and I like it a lot. Mind you, I use a sound card that has digital optical out, so I don't know the cost difference.

14. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

I didn't realise I was having a parade.

Funny how all the reviews disagree with your opinion and say they are quite capable.

Still my daughters happy with them.

Think maybe you had a duff set and an hour isn't much time to evaluate something.

15. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

Here is the really question, FLAC or 64kbps MP3 depending on the response we'll understand your needs alot better.

16. [PUNK] crompers

[PUNK] crompers Dremedial

I was going through this a while ago, was round at a friends discussing which speakers to buy (yes im that sad) and he was trying to convince me to buy a set of Z5500's whilst sat in front of a desk that was just a birds nest of cables and speakers. stooopid!

unless you have a room that you can properly mount 5.1 speakers in (and without some serious DIY you're probably going to struggle) there is no point. plus if you're using the speakers for directional sound (i.e online FPS) you're probably going to find the information coming from the speakers is pretty difficult to decipher unless they're set up properly.

i suggest the Acoustic Energy Aego M's http://www.ebuyer.com/product/106173

all I can say is the best 2.1's i've ever seen or used. serious quality

17. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

I realise that the speakers receive many positive reviews, I wouldn't have bought them in the first place if they weren't well reviewed. (mind you, most of them say they're great value, as opposed to just great).

You're right, an hour is very little time to evaluate them, I just found them that bad that I didn't need any more time to make up my mind. The set wasn't duff, they were actually reasonably competent with films, especially when you consider the cost per component and the mark up too (I can't imagine the satellites costing more than a couple quid to make!).

I was feeling pretty pleased with them after putting on a few crash-bang film sequences. It was when I played some music through them that they utterly fell to pieces and everything just turned to mush.

Your disagreement is noted, but that's not going to change my mind about them.

18. Moyo2k

Moyo2k AMD Fanboy

19. [PUNK] crompers

[PUNK] crompers Dremedial

exactly, you get what you pay for.

£50.00 for all the materials required to make 5 speaker cabinets, a sub and all the important gubbins that go inside? for it to be a profitable product you're going to end up with tinny, nasty speakers. thats ok if you're going into it with your eyes (and ears) open. just dont expect fireworks.

20. Aracos

Aracos What's a Dremel?

FLAC ALL THE WAY BABEY!!! That and 256kb/s or 320kb/s if there's no flac available :(

I appreciate all your comments but I realise 5.1 is surround sound and as such is designed to surround you.

For movies I will be placing the center speaker in front of my monitor, the right front on my comp's fill port, the left front on my tv, the rear left to my left behind my chair and rear right to my right behind the chair. Sub will probably be next to comp somewhere off the ground so it doesn't go through the entire house. For gaming I move my chair to the dinner table in here and will adjust speaker setup there :)

Pics of my room here: [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    You'll have to forgive the mess, need to tidy up. I will also be moving to a bigger room next month which is about 5M x the length of the house :D

It will be a tight squeeze but I don't care, ima place the speakers on stands anyway :)