1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Sony announces PS3 Slim

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 18 Aug 2009.

1. PQuiff

PQuiff What's a Dremel?

LOL..Still looks like a Geroge Foreman grill.

Alot better than the old one though, If my Xbox packs in i might consider getting one.

2. Bauul

Bauul Sir Bongaminge

Backwards compatibility would be a must for me. Between me and my younger brother we have a load of PS2 games and if the PS3 supported them, the tempation to replace our old PS2 would be much higher. As it is, there simply aren't enough exclusive PS3 games that interest me to make the premium over a 360 worth it in my opinion. Personally, I'm holding out for the 360 upgrade.

3. rollo

rollo Modder

US price of 299 is below elite in america, Will microsoft reduce elite to match i wonder.

£249 is within impulse buying teritory for most.

If your kids want a game console and you want a blue ray player. Are you gonna buy them a 360 and you a blueray player or you gonna get a ps3 for less money. Theres sonys sales. As unless your willing to pay alot of money you will struggle to get a decent blue ray player for under £300 anyway. Could this turn sonys fortunes around this gen who knows. ( who cares ) lol

4. stewis

stewis What's a Dremel?

Looks like a cheap knock off that you would pick up at a sunday market. Maybe they got one of those fake chinese PolyStation3 designers to help out with the styling of this thing... I would even expect a small LCD screen to pop out the dvd draw like this: http://www.newlaunches.com/entry_images/0808/19/polystation-3.jpg

I dont have a PS3 but would pick up the piano black one over this any day...

5. Bauul

Bauul Sir Bongaminge

The looks really seem to be deviding opinion. Personally I don't like the look of either of them, but then I rarely like the looks of any consoles (save maybe the Sega Megadrive 2, that was spot on).

6. lacuna

lacuna Minimodder

That looks absolutely awful. I upgraded my standard PS2 to the slim but I certainly be doing that with my PS3.

I think the PS3 looks fantastic how it is and I have the original one so it has backward compatibility and I have upgraded to 500gb. Can't see any real reason to change to the slim version.

7. Woodspoon

Woodspoon What's a Dremel?

Attempting to set their own patterns?
    So making them available from september wouldnt just be shipping early for christmas because they missed it the first time round then eh? because rather sadly christmas does seem to begin in september now.
    But whatever the case , I still think it's ugly, over priced and lacking ps2 support, another fail sony.

8. Xir

Xir Modder

I don't get it

299$ is 212€ is 182£

Anyone fly to NY for christmas shopping?

9. Zooter

Zooter What's a Dremel?

Why is it that PS3 games are not being pirated? The people capable of hacking the device haven't had the need, they can play around with linux and the cell architecture in a nice and legal way. With this gone, they will look for alternative ways to run linux - opening doors for folks with less noble intentions. Sony is just shooting itself in the foot with this.

10. mclean007

mclean007 Officious Bystander

Which is exactly what Sony doesn't want you to do. I don't know how much the slim PS3 is costing Sony to make, but I'll be surprised if they are anywhere near breakeven price. Console hardware (Wii excepted) is almost invariably subsidised throughout a large portion of its life by game sales. If you buy a PS3 to use it as a Blu-ray / PS2 game / DVD / DLNA network media player, and don't buy any PS3 games, they're making a loss on you. So by not allowing backwards compatibility, they discourage that sort of behaviour.

Wouldn't surprise me if that's the reason for the alleged removal of Linux support as well.

11. AWowzer

AWowzer What's a Dremel?

http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2008/02/05/satin_ps3_to_launch_in_japan/

http://www.crunchgear.com/2008/01/22/sony-to-release-ceramic-white-ps3-in-the-us/

Click on these two links to see the silver and white versions available in japan. these look so much better than the black one imho. the silver one especially looks absolutely beautiful. wish these colour options were available worlwide. ps2 had these colour options and that sold "quite" well. giving people choice increases your market and outweighs the increased cost of offering different colours.

compare the look of the beautiful reflective silver ps3 to the cheap plastic kack ps3 slim. who have they got as the designer for sony computer entertainment these days? they have taken quite sleek, glossy looking pieces of hardware in the original ps3 and psp 3000 and turned them into cheap, matte plastic cut of the bottom of an argos own brand speaker pieces of kack. sorry keep using kack but that is the word that best describes them for me. and i am a sony fan

12. AWowzer

AWowzer What's a Dremel?

if people who are sony fans think the slim looks cheap and awful how is it going to convinve people are not sony fans and are trying to decide between a 360 and a slim. the 360 looks much better now

13. rollo

rollo Modder

linux does not support 3d accelaration on ps3 so read before you spam please. As the gpu has no memory on linux to make it run. You have something like 256kb of memory in linux to play around with for 3d accelaration purposes.

You can not run pirated games via linux on the ps3. Problem to pirate for it is the cost of the blue ray media is still very high. And how many people do you know with a blue ray burner. pirates want to make money. No one would buy a pirated game at £10-15. 360 is really easy to pirate for in comparison.

14. Edvuld

Edvuld Minimodder

Maybe Sony believe that the matte finish is the next thing that'll be popular in a year or so, when everyone has realized that dust/fingerprint magnets are unpractical.

Personally I like gloss though.

15. sandys

sandys Multimodder

Yup, GPU is locked out via hypervisor but at least you can access the GPU memory in the PS3 to be fast swap drive.

1I think Matt is probably the next in thing, just look at the number of cars coming out in Matt Black, not a fan myself.

16. riggs

riggs ^_^

It looks cheap...but I suppose that's the whole point; reduced production cost passed onto the consumer.
    I'll be sticking with my 60GB (now 200GB) model though.

As for no BC, who cares? I've got the option to play PS2 games on my PS3, but I don't bother - they look awful! Granted, there are some great PS2 games that I probably should play (Ico, SotC etc), but there are just too many great next-gen games I need to play first. Anyhoo, I bought my 60GB purely for the memory card reader(s).

To be honest, the lack of Linux shouldn't really bother anyone either. It's always been crippled and not worth the effort (I planned on installing YDL so I could play back .mkv files, but after doing some reading I realised there was no point, what with Linux running in a virtual machine-type environment).

17. lewchenko

lewchenko Minimodder

Really like the new look, but the price is still too high in comparison to what the Americans are paying.

Dont care at all about backwards compatibility... PS2's new are so cheap now... Buy both if you really want to... its not like you cant find space for a PS2 as well on your TV stand.

18. talladega

talladega I'm Squidward

I got one of the original 60Gb PS3's. I played PS2 games for a few months till I had the money to buy PS3 games. Once I got some PS3 games I never went back. I tried once and it was awful. Don't care how good some of the PS2 games are, once I played PS3 games in HD, I can't stand the PS2 graphics. Totally unbearable.

19. HourBeforeDawn

HourBeforeDawn a.k.a KazeModz

I wish they brought back support for ps2 games but still this could be a nice option for my car ^^

20. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

Mainly because not many people have BD drives..

And that the cracking these aren't as easy(just a guess).

Tags: Add Tags