1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TVs 1080p TV as a substitute monitor?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by redders, 17 Aug 2009.

1. redders

redders What's a Dremel?

Hi everyone.

In September I'm starting my first proper job since university, and have hence just signed a letting agreement on a small 1 bedroom flat. While this is great news for me, the downside is that I may not be able to fit in a computer desk, as there is no second bedroom/study.

I will be buying myself a flat screen TV though, and a potential compromise would be to use it as a monitor too.

So the question is really what are you experiences, and which brands or models can your recommend?

I imagine 30 inch is probably the optimal size, though 32 wouldn't be too bad either I guess - I need to check in a shop to see what they look like in the flesh as visualising a 30 inch tv is tricky for me!

I understand LCD is the way to go for this application - I'll be gaming on my PC, but am unlikely to be watching any fast-paced sports (not a football fan!) so I imagine 60Hz is fine.

Thanks in advance :D

2. redders

redders What's a Dremel?

If it matters I have a 9800GT (DVI out) but I'm confident there are DVI -> HDMI leads. I'm willing to upgrade the graphics card (it really is due, the rest of my system is pretty new), but might hold out on that a little longer.

3. samkiller42

samkiller42 For i AM Cheesecake!!

A 1080p Screen will give a pixel resolution of 1920*1080, and should give this picture if it's used with VGA, DVI or HDMI. I used my PC on my tv and had it at 1920*1080 using standard VGA cables. You can find 1080p LCD TV's in 32", but from my understanding, no screen smaller will do the full res. So you will be looking at 32" screens and above. Have a look on www.directtv.co.uk or just walk into your local Dixons/Currys/Comets and look at the screens, when you see what you like, write the model number so you can google it and save yourself upwards of £200 on shop prices.

Hope that helps

Sam

4. docodine

docodine killed a guy once

How about a monitor that has a tuner built-in (Samsung TOC series, etc), or maybe you can simply get a tuner for your PC and use any monitor with a stand.

I've used our Sony Bravia 40" LCD and it worked great with the PC, didn't play any games but web browsing was great. Used the DVI->HDMI adapter that came with my video card.

5. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

I'm a little confused by that statement as I have just bought my son a 23" samsung lcd tv and it is most definately 1080p, it even tells you its set to 1920 x 1080 when he changes the channel to HDMI 1 and fires up his 360.

Am I misunderstanding what you mean!!

6. redders

redders What's a Dremel?

Thanks for your replies :)

I've realised 30 is fairly small these days as far as TVs are concerned, but was erring on the side of caution because I didn't want it to be too big. I'd be happy to go 32inch or maybe 34 inch to get full HD.

@docodine - I already have a 24inch monitor, but from my previous experience with pc tv tuners I have been slightly put off, mainly down to software. Furthermore, I will eventually want to buy a TV, so getting one now is not going to make my monitor permanently redundant.

So are there any brands or models that are recommended, or perhaps more importantly any to avoid?

7. redders

redders What's a Dremel?

I have changed my mind about the size - I just went to a local store to see them in the flesh and I think 37" is more appropriate for a TV. So again - any recommendations of what to go for or avoid?

8. samkiller42

samkiller42 For i AM Cheesecake!!

Ok, i stand corrected, when i last looked, no screen smaller than 32" would do 1080p, but things have changed since then obviosuly.

Sam

9. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

no TV smaller than 32inch can do 1080p

monitors with Tv tuners built in (aka TV by Tesco, for Samsung 2333hd) can do 1080p

10. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

Ah I see that makes sense. It is actually the samsung you stated the 2333HD which in all honesty looks identical to my samsung monitor. So it is in fact a monitor with a tv tuner thrown in.

11. redders

redders What's a Dremel?

So on topic: any recommendations for 37/32in LCD?

12. Moyo2k

Moyo2k AMD Fanboy

Are you mistaking full 1080p with 1080p? There are screens that are 1080p but they are 1600x1080, strange resolution I know but there are those, different manufactures use different slogans to depict proper 1080p - such as full, pure etc...

EDIT: Here you go
    http://www.play.com/Electronics/Electronics/4-/10674622/Samsung-Series-6-32-LED-UE32B6000VW-Full-HD-1080p-Freeview-Widescreen-LED-TV/Product.html?&engine=froogle_electronics&keyword=Samsung+Series+6+32%22+LED+UE32B6000VW+Full+HD+1080p+Freeview+Widescreen+LED+TV&_$ja=tsid:11518|cc:|prd:10674622|cat:LCD
    =and=http://www.google.co.uk/products?q=Samsung+1080p&hl=en&sa=N&start=10
    as you can see all the ones saying FULL 1080p are over 32"

Only TFT monitors can go up to 1080p at such small sizes (23" + )

13. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

No its full HD 1920x1080, I expressed my understanding of it two posts above.

Sorry to spin your thread off on a tangent Redders.

14. Moyo2k

Moyo2k AMD Fanboy

stick with 32" or go up to 42", dont stop half way lol
    Samsung/Bravia anything but technika lol

15. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

You could always try to nab a 42" Panny Plasma.

16. redders

redders What's a Dremel?

42's too big i think. 37 is pushing it. :/ Small flat.

17. 1ad7

1ad7 What's a Dremel?

I disagree, I love my 42. at 3 feet or so from it I cant see the pixel pitch and having your entire view covered in screen is rather nice :) I was surprised it works as well as it did. You can tell the difference between this and say my buddy's 24 his is definitely tighter but the 42 is WAY better for movies and tv including bluray.

Edit: Just saw the person saying 42 was too big is the OP lol my bad, either way I stand by that you would be suprised how nice the 42" lcd's look as long as you can get 3 feet back or more, Im on a standard desk and I have it just a few inches back from where my 22" was.

18. redders

redders What's a Dremel?

wow, on a standard desk that thing's gotta be huge. Problem is my flat only has 1 bedroom, so the room with the tv will be a dining room AND a lounge/sitting room. I don't want the whole flat totally dominated by a TV! Futher to this - my budget is being eaten by first month's deposit, rent, initial fees such as setting up broadband etc, buying a bed and getting a sofa.

Though the temptation is "screw the bed, get a huge TV", it's probably not practical.

I'm even considering getting a decent TV card, as long as the software has evolved sufficiently from the irritation that was 'wintv 2000' (my last experience with tv cards).

19. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

Interestingly, going plasma here would be a bit more advantageous. You don't see the obvious lack of pixels as much.

20. Bauul

Bauul Sir Bongaminge

I have to ask, what's the difference between a flat-panel TV and a flat-panel monitor with a built in TV tuner?

Surely they're just the same thing?