1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cooling Core i7 920 D0 @2.66GHz with very high temperatures

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by Sh0cKeR, 21 Aug 2009.

1. Sh0cKeR

Sh0cKeR a=2(s-ut)/t²

Firstly, Hello to everyone here at Bit-Tech :)

My spec :
    Asus Rampage II Extreme
    6gb 1866Mhz Corsair Dominator Kit
    Titan Fenrir cooler running 4pin PWM
    Antec 902 chassis with the fans on max
    Two GTX 285 SSC Gpu's in SLI @ 44c Idle

Well as from the title my cpu is running purely stock settings and when using the Bios I monitored the temperatures stabilising at 45c. Now I'm pretty sure this should be hovering around the low 30's on stock with my case. However things are drastically worse in Vista 64monitoring with both Realtemp and Coretemp showing Idle temps of 58c and 62c.

My question is could I have not tightened my Cooler enough to the backplate and socket resulting in these high temps, or the 920 is generally rather crispy and sweaty inside any case
    but I'm thinking the latter is not the case judging from other peoples recorded temps.

Any information to shed light on my situation would be great :thumb:

Thanks.

2. Shadowed_fury

Shadowed_fury Minimodder

I'm no expert in what chips run at what temps but heres my thoughts;

Not all temps meters are spot on. Even the BIOS.
    If its stable - you don't say if it isn't - whats the problem?
    Perhaps the cooler isn't seated properly, or whatever cpu gunk that was used wasn't used correctly :)

3. RinSewand

RinSewand What's a Dremel?

Yeah;
    how much thermal paste did you use?
    Did you bolt the cooler down to the level specified in the instructions?
    If you feel really confident you can always tweak the cooler retention mech while the pc is on and watch the temps. Thoguh personally I'd take the cooler off - look at the TIM pattern to see what contact it had - then try and rememdy any problems from there.

RwD

4. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

Your BIOS seems accurate. With air cooling, a 45 degree idle seems right. I'd trust the BIOS. I can't help you with the Vista temps you get.. just wanted to say that 30 degrees is never going to happen. Even with a lapped chip and cooler, I get around 40 degrees at idle.

5. RinSewand

RinSewand What's a Dremel?

Agree with Pookeyhead on 30C not happening - but I reckon with a bit of fiddling and reseating you could see far less than 60C!

RwD

6. Sh0cKeR

Sh0cKeR a=2(s-ut)/t²

Thanks for the input! I'll take my mobo out of the case and mount my Cooler again with it nice and tight against the CPU. On another note what did worry me was its recorded temps when running SuperPi 1M test. With Real Temp on I saw usage at 30% which is fine but core 0 running at 100c and the rest running in the high 80's. Now either my hardware monitors are drastically lieing to me or my new cpu was burning up. I Don't partically want to leave it like that and take a huge gamble!:jawdrop:

7. Shadowed_fury

Shadowed_fury Minimodder

Your pc should shutdown if theres any risk there at all ;)

8. Sh0cKeR

Sh0cKeR a=2(s-ut)/t²

Fitted the heatsink again which i'm happy with and also made the cable management better with quite a bit more airspace for the Cooler. Temperatures still hovering around the same mid 40's in the Bios monitor while the South Bridge and North Bridge are running at 33c and 37c ( result! ). Theres no way I'm going to be able to get the temps down any further as the other hardware temps are showing airflow and overheating problems are not present. Simply when on load its not possible for temps to skyrocket 30c+ over the Idle temps while, during running both the heatsink and fan air were very cool ( not much more than the ambient temperature inside the case). I Will now be using it for normal use such as some rendering and gaming and will see what happens.

9. Slaymate

Slaymate bit-tech Slayer

It's not that difficult to idle in the low to mid 30's at 4.2GHz so I'm positive the high 20's or low 30's is possible on air. I'm running a lapped True Copper with a lapped 920 and I'm in Florida.

[​IMG]

10. Sh0cKeR

Sh0cKeR a=2(s-ut)/t²

I decided to install the 3Dmark Vantage software that came on the boards CD(there are loads of applications on it ) and ran the GPU test benchmark on performance @ 1680x1050. To say the least i'm blown away with how well it performed. Managed an Average of 67fps with a max of 113. Compared to the single GPU average of 28fps this shows some really great SLI scaling with the 190 drivers. The cases airflow remained very cool without the CPU acting up in any way shape or form (again the cooler was running very cool from what I could feel). I'd imagine that running a benchmark such as this would make a CPU with very high temps throttle which again I saw none of. With some more testing I hopefully will be able to say problem solved :D

11. Sh0cKeR

Sh0cKeR a=2(s-ut)/t²

Temps were staying around 50c on idle which is an improvement (over 10c cooler than before). I'm now going to use some recently purchased AC MX-2 TIM on the cpu and that should reduce the temperatures by a good amount.

12. Tesla effect

Tesla effect AKA ZombieKiller1

If your only running it @2.66GHz what Vcore is your bios using? Are you using auto settings? If so then its likely your bios is applying more Vcore than necessary hence the high temps. Just a thought

13. Sh0cKeR

Sh0cKeR a=2(s-ut)/t²

In the bios the voltages are set to auto however it tells you above the option what the voltages are running at for the chip. From what its reading it seems to be fine. At this stage I think its purely down to using the thermal paste to combat those temperatures.

14. Sh0cKeR

Sh0cKeR a=2(s-ut)/t²

Applied the new thermal paste and the chip is now idling at 32c! Thats a 20c drop from the original which is really amazing. I can label this as problem solved now, so thanks for input!