1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CPU Scan RMA - Deductions for usage/market value legal???

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by voodoo2k4, 27 Aug 2009.

1. voodoo2k4

voodoo2k4 Ghetto Modder

Hello,

Im returning a dead AMD 4850e CPU to Scan and they have advised me that my refund amount will be altered for market value/depreciation and not the price I paid. They have also said becuase it has failed after 6 months they will be making a deduction for 'benefit' I have had from the product in the last 6 months :jawdrop:.

Is this legal? Should I return it direct to AMD instead (Scan have said I am welcome to).

Ive never had this with eBuyer, always full refunds inc carriage straight up.

Regards,

Dean.

2. Abhorsen

Abhorsen Minimodder

I've never heard of that before, it doesn't sound like it should be legal...

3. voodoo2k4

voodoo2k4 Ghetto Modder

They are using a legitimate clause from the sales of goods act to justify it. However in my mind the distance selling act would be the overbearing legislation here.

Dean.

4. philheckler

philheckler Used to be a pc enthusiast

One good reason not to order from scan then...

5. voodoo2k4

voodoo2k4 Ghetto Modder

I know but the free delivery sucked me in.

They are being so stubborn!

Dean.

6. Cerberus90

Cerberus90 Car Spannerer

Can't you just say thats not how warrantys work, :D

I would have thought that 6 months would be a full refund, especially as its got a 3 year warranty ( i think).

Couldn't you make a fuss, they might change their minds.

7. Flibblebot

Flibblebot Smile with me

Go and talk to your local CAB or trading standards office, see what they say. If you can quote actual hard fact (rather than "some guys on this forum I read say that..."), they might back down.

8. Dreaming

Dreaming What's a Dremel?

Scan have done this in the past and I have noticed it on their forums - it certainly doesn't seem legal or right in common sense terms - one guy whose 7900GTX failed (it was sold with full warranty) was offered like an 8200 as a replacement or £30 credit, where his card cost close to £200 when he bought it. The only people who would know for sure though are legal advisors so I suggest you ask the CAB / trading standards.

Although the easier route would be just to go to AMD.

9. Cerberus90

Cerberus90 Car Spannerer

I could understand it if it was a really outdated thing, but then it wouldn't be in warranty anyway, but the OPs item is relatively new, infact its current gen isn't it.

10. Fazed

Fazed Minimodder

From a legal standpoint, I couldn't comment. Does sound like a real sh*tty deal tho.

I guess you can argue the toss, or send it off to AMD for repair.

11. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

Scans returns policies are one of the reasons I've gone back to ebuyer for the bulk of my stuff.

If you read there returns policy is seems like some of it is there to put you off returning stuff, like the possibility of having to pay the return postage, testing fee and then postage back to you if its found not to be faulty.

Well I've bought an Icy Box HDD caddy from scan and the esata connection has never worked but the item only cost me £20, if I had sent it back and they decided it wsn't faulty it would have cost me more than the original price to have it back. But you know its faulty!! doesn't make any difference as I returned one of my brand new samsung F1's cos the thing just refused to format no matter what I tried, returned it and said there was no prob with it, I reckon they just did a quick format and then decided all was okay as the drive would quick format but any windows install failed. tried to charge me for the pleasure but I stood my ground and got a full refund and then went to novatech who had it cheaper anyway.

As for the caddy I use it via USB but at least it didn't cost me anymore.

I'll never buy anything over £50 from them again, I can't take the chance.

12. specofdust

specofdust Banned

That's a little depressing Scan are screwing people over like this. I guess I'll start using Ebuyer now instead of 'em. And I've been using Scan for years now.

13. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

CAB and Trading Standards to ask imo. Sounds like a BS reply - you can take a 11 month old electonics item back to Currys and still get an exchange for the full value of the item.

14. fathazza

fathazza Freed on Probation

To be fair to scan, they no longer seem to stock any dual core am2 cpus so they cant do a like for like replacement... and its not as if they can repair a cpu...

Offering a partial refund is actually within their rights in the sales of goods act, but is really shoddy from a customer service perspective (tho maybe they are feeling the credit crunch pinch and CS is always the first thing to go when money is tight).

I would try your luck with AMD for the RMA... rather than faffing around with a company that doesnt seem to care about keeping your future business.

15. Ficky Pucker

Ficky Pucker I

and i thought scan were one of the good guys, ebuyer it is then...

16. glendronach

glendronach Minimodder

Scan cannot impose a benefit reduction. It is your choice to select which way you want to deal with this not the retailer.
    They should at least offer an equivalent in price or performance cpu which you can accept or reject. If you reject and request a refund it is up to a court to assess how much Scan should pay. It is NOT their choice.

Visit the Consumer Direct website
    http://www.consumerdirect.gov.uk/
    and call them on 08454 040506 for advice.
    There is more detail about your rights here
    http://www.berr.gov.uk/whatwedo/con...oneybackwithinareasonabletimebuthowlongisthat

Last edited: 27 Aug 2009
    Guest-16 and Abhorsen like this.
  17. Fredrics

Fredrics Hmm...

pimonserry likes this.
  18. voodoo2k4

voodoo2k4 Ghetto Modder

I really didnt want to but I think that Im gonna have to go to AMD. Prefer a refund over replacement as I have 1 already. Still selling the replacement from AMD is better than Scan's offer!

Scan are borderline on illegal but just about toeing the line from what I can see. Shocking.

Sigh, b*****ds!

Dean.

19. WILD9

WILD9 Been here aaaaages

Wow, I thought scan had a good CS rep, this is borderline cowboy behaviour. I will be shopping elsewhere in future.

20. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

:thumb: + rep