1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motherboards Very annoying bug in Asus P5Q Pro 0703 BIOS

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mm vr, 8 Aug 2009.

1. mm vr

mm vr The cheesecake is a lie

I experienced this issue earlier aswell, but forgot about it until today (don't use much standby).

Put my PC into stadby last night so that I could quickly continue my work in the morning.

Well, in the morning I started the computer, put a shirt on myself, and after 30 secs I got BSOD.

The issue is that the CPU core voltage resets to the default value after standby, and a 3.7GHz overclock on stock voltage isn't the most stable setup in the world.

Specs in sig, and I'm using BIOS 0703.

I have heard bad things about the newer BIOSes for this particular motherboard, that hey would have some serious bugs in them, and therefore haven't flashed it. Is that true? What kinds of issues do these newer versions have?

Also, has anybody else experienced this voltage resetion after standby?

Last edited: 8 Aug 2009
  2. Digitalize-

Digitalize- What's a Dremel?

Im running the latest as of Junish i think, no idea what version, but had no problems.

3. mm vr

4. Mushroomcloud

Mushroomcloud What's a Dremel?

Might help

My Asus motherboard (P5W DH Deluxe) had the same issue. I found out while browsing the BIOS download section for my motherboard that they quietly released a BIOS (2503) to fix a design issue where coming out of S3 the CPU tried to burn the house down. This firebomb issue with waking up from S3 was so serious that the Asus made the upgrade a one way trip by some serious trickery. I can downgrade back to BIOS 2503 ok, but that BIOS is now refusing to go back any more because "i no longer have the BIOS chip i do have". It as though 2503 was the first ever BIOS.

If your problem is to do with an S3 wake up i would forget S3 exists.

5. mm vr

I flashed to the newest BIOS version last week.

First I went to BIOS and reverted to default settings, then booted into EZ Flash 2. Told it to update from the correct file, and it verified it, and then gave an error. Tried again, same result. Then on another computer I went on the net and checked what to do. A complete power off had helped most people having the issue, so shut it down for a few minutes and after that it worked fine. :)

Still got to re-overclock, don't have much spare time, so not sure yet if it fixed the standby problem.

6. Splynncryth

Splynncryth 0x665E3FF6,0x46CC,...

It sounds like Asus forgot to add the voltage reg registers to the S3 resume script, is there a changelog that mentions anything like that?
    S3 is a total PITA to get right, so I wouldn't be surprised if there might be another problem lurking in there somewhere. It depends on Asus's QA, but I have no idea how important S3 is to them on a performance oriented desktop board. S4 may be safer as the BIOS should perform what acts like a normal boot, but you do pay a boot time penalty for it.

@Mushroomcloud If you are desperate to go back, what about a BIOS recovery mechanism? This method is really freaking old, but some BIOS use to look for a key combination like control-home right as the BIOS was booting to imitate a recovery system from a floppy disk. This required a PS/2 keyboard, floppy controller, and floppy drive, so it's not likely to work on a modern system. But if you can find if your BIOS has something like that, you might be able to force the old BIOS onto the board.

7. polajones

polajones What's a Dremel?

Eeeks! I must have made a blunder then! I have the same configuration and have already encountered the problem as stated here. What is more painstaking I changed my PC recently and it was after one of my knowledgeable friend recommended me. I could not help myself but to regret now:miffed:
    I am not a techie so issues involving BIOS or other things are not very clear for me but I am at my wits end now as it looks like this is going to trouble me a lot. Even the Text to speech software is not working properly now.

Last edited: 3 Sep 2009
  8. Mickenoss

Mickenoss What's a Dremel?

I looked into flashing the bios on mine, and it had a notice on the site saying that unless you're having problems with the bios you should just leave well alone.
    I'm still using the bios it came shipped with (first version) and all is sweet.

9. Mushroomcloud

Mushroomcloud What's a Dremel?

I have a motherboard is with a P5Q Turbo. With this one the Vcore in the BIOS was locked down on auto. The only way i can overvolt is by using the Asus AI Suite once windows was running, and that resets on reboot. This total piece of crappy Asus BIOS will allow you to overclock the BIOS, but lock down the Vcore so it resets after every reboot. The motherboard overvolts Vcore to a little over 2v-2.5v on its own no matter what the overclock settings elswere are.