1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blogs What nanotech research would you like to know about?

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Sifter3000, 26 Aug 2009.

1. Sifter3000

Sifter3000 I used to be somebody

2. Herbicide

Herbicide Lurktacular

Full-colour nanocrystal printing (of static images or displays) sounds awesome. [ooh... Just think of the dot pitch...]

Two different attempts at what seems to be the same goal:
    Via Nanowerk* and NS

And/or a look at DNA (in) computing...

*Bookmarked.

3. Ninja_182

Ninja_182 Enginerd!

Nano-fibre reinforcement of ceramics for a wild picking out of the air. My interestin in nanotechnology has drastically reduced since I lefy university and thus no longer came into contact with it.

4. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

I'd like to know about using nanotechnology to build myself a robotic horse with a monkey tail and a Hitler moustache.

I'll explain later.

5. Cutter McJ1b

Cutter McJ1b Home-cut jibs at discount Prices

What's to explain?

6. Stuey

Stuey You will be defenestrated!

"nano" is a prefix defined as one billionth of a unit, and does not "mean tiny or minute."

Fixed.

Sounds good!

Be careful, though - a lot of companies throw "nano" around just for its marketing value.

I'll be looking forward to the features! :D

7. Cutter McJ1b

Cutter McJ1b Home-cut jibs at discount Prices

Thanks for the reply, Stuey. Here's where I got my definition. The website's usually very trustworthy in my experience.

From www.dictionary.com

nano-

a combining form with the meaning “very small, minute,” used in the formation of compound words (nanoplankton); in the names of units of measure it has the specific sense “one billionth” (10-9): nanomole; nanosecond.

Was there anything in particular in the world of nanotech you would be interested in reading about?

8. Bauul

Bauul Sir Bongaminge

I was in Ikea the other day measuring rugs in nanogigameters. Yeah, I'm cool.

9. alpaca

alpaca llama eats dremel

nano powder coating Cheesecake!

on a serious note: self assembling processors really did hit the 'interesting' button.

10. Omnituens

Omnituens What's a Dremel?

Medical nanotech is where it's at. If a robot can tell the difference between normal cells and EVUL cells (cancer, HIV etc), that would be a HUGE breakthough.

Another application would be tools that can be reconfigured easily went new techniques are developed. or a REALLY cool multitool.

11. C-Sniper

C-Sniper Stop Trolling this space Ądmins!

12. Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes Hypernobber

Carbon nanotubes.

Well enough advanced in research that there's plenty of facts to relate without having to resort to an artist's impression of a space elevator, and many uses from very high (or very low) thermal conductivity materials, use in integrated circuits, and of course, an artist's impression of a space elevator!

P

13. pimonserry

pimonserry sounds like a party.

+1. I'm more interested in how it's going to affect medicinal practice, and when we'll all look like we came out of Deus Ex (and I don't mean blocky).

14. Skiddywinks

Skiddywinks Minimodder

+1 for carbon nanotubes, and +1 for the medical ramifications of nanobots and the like.

15. popcornuk1983

popcornuk1983 Cake or Death?

http://www.nokia.com/about-nokia/research/demos/the-morph-concept

Not sure if anyone has seen this before. It's concept phone from nokia. They developed the concept in conjunction with the Cambridge Nanoscience Centre.

The site has a fairly long video explaining all the features. Very cool stuff if it actually gets made at some point. iPhone killer for sure ;-)

16. DiegoAAC

DiegoAAC What's a Dremel?

Nano diamonds, carbon nanotubes or graphene applied to IC cooling (and overclocking!)

17. woodshop

woodshop UnSeenly

building/growing freeways that are solar collectors with a diamond shell for protection.

18. B3CK

B3CK Minimodder

+1 for nanotubes
    Also, for creating a jack port into my skull for getting away from these pesky keyboards and mice. http://www.nanowerk.com/spotlight/spotid=2177.php
    Of course, then I will need some memory for links, and notes and what-have-you, http://www.bit-tech.net/news/hardware/2006/05/10/water_will_help_improve_our_memory/1.
    Then throw in some LeD's that grow on the end of some nano tubes that will go through my optic nerves to allow my eyes to glow in the dark, red please, don't want to ruin my night vision too much. And sure throw in some camera's so I can take pics of what I'm really looking at. And some IR LeD's so my camera's can see in the dark.
    Oh, and enough self building goo to build a copy of Jessica.

19. Stuey

Stuey You will be defenestrated!

Sorry about that - I didn't see that this thread had been updated.

I don't like dictionary.com at all - their advertisements are too "in your face," but I previously thought them to be relatively trustworrty as well. Still, I prefer Merriam-Webster (m-w.com) and Oxford (oed.com).

Something nanoscaled is very small and minute, but it's not defined as such. For some reason, "micro" is officially defined as the 10^-6 prefix, and to mean something small and minute. I wonder if the same will happen to nano now that it's more commonly used, but it would not be a good move. So many companies are tying to peddle their products as having nano-this, nano-that since nano is a buzzword that makes for great ad copy.

Anyhow, I'm interested in reading [almost] anything about nanotech. Since this is a computer tech forum, maybe you could start off with how CPU dies are fabricated?

20. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

An invisibility cloak.

Tags: Add Tags