1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Sony keen on stereoscopic 3D

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 4 Sep 2009.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. Sifter3000

Sifter3000 I used to be somebody

Another brilliant idea there, to go with UMD, MiniDisc, the fact there's no PSP Phone...

oh...

wait.

3. jezmck

jezmck Minimodder

Does that mean I will have to wait even longer before buying my next TV?

4. Dave Lister

Dave Lister Minimodder

It sounds like 3D will take off this time because there are so many backing it like the games industry, hollywood, electronics manafacturers. I think it will be a bit slow starting off because of the reccesion and the high price for compatible hardware at the moment. But for me it is looking very likely now, more than any other time i can remember... and i can remember back to the early 80's when one of the Jaws films was broadcast in "3D" !

5. mikeuk2004

mikeuk2004 What you Looking at Fool!

this will be cool if they pull it off

6. Almightyrastus

Almightyrastus On the jazz.

This is going to mean nothing to me unless I can wear my prescription glasses at the same time, i have a hard enough reading newsprint without them let alone seeing a tv on the other side fo the room clearly.

7. papalarge123

papalarge123 Papalarge

well u never know, we do have reaction lenses and perscription sunglasses, so there may be a pescription opertunity for these babies, lol

8. devdevil85

devdevil85 What's a Dremel?

I honestly can't wait for this. 3D is going to be awesome!

9. sandys

sandys Multimodder

Reactions have already been pretty good to demos of this, they have demod Wipeout HD, GT5 and Motorstorm in 3D at what was is CES or E3 earlier in the year.

So long as I don't get headaches like with the twin coloured lens i'm in, new TV and all, this plus Sonys motion controller could be quite interesting combo.

10. Evildead666

Evildead666 What's a Dremel?

Too expensive. Too niche.
    The Cinema's are doing more and more 3D to try and attract more customers, and to actually have a point of going to the cinema...

Get a big screen to go for home, and leave the 3D to the cinema's.

When the screens are small enough to be placed just in front of the eye, then that will be fine.
    Two small hi-res screens, and full virtual reality.
    Or one curved screen like those old 80's sunglasses....with a pyramid filter so both eyes see different images...

And it still won't make crap games good.

11. Mentai

Mentai What's a Dremel?

Too high an entry point. No one has a 120Hz LCD monitor for Nvidias 3d vision and even if they did they would need to adjust their setup to reduce interference. For example, I have no idea how to turn the lights off on my razer keyboard and they would induce flickering.

It will be even worse for TV's. That's a non tech savvy market, and having a much more expensive tv that essentially looks the same as a cheaper one won't work. A lot of people still don't know the difference between 720p and 1080p, and if buying a 42" tv, they are simply buying the cheapest 42" tv, just wanting something big. Then they hook up their consoles using composite cables instead of hdmi etc. This is an investment I don't think will pay off.

Tags: Add Tags