1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice New to this, need help!!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by joe0709, 6 Sep 2009.

1. joe0709

joe0709 What's a Dremel?

Hey guys, I am wanting to build myself a gaming pc as I love gaming and i've been told it would work out cheaper to build one, anyways I have no idea about specs or anything so I asked a friend who has built his pc to help me.

I said I basically want more bang for my buck but don't want something that is going to give up on me after the first week.

I am hoping to play crysis (highest settings) I also play alot of WOW and I will be buying a few other games.

Here is what he suggested

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/151477
    http://www.ebuyer.com/product/165238
    http://www.ebuyer.com/product/147047
    http://www.ebuyer.com/product/156172
    http://www.ebuyer.com/product/152204
    http://www.ebuyer.com/product/152637
    http://www.ebuyer.com/product/145450

Did I miss anything ???

I have no idea how to put it all together so will be checking back.

If anyone has any input or suggests a better part to the ones I have posted please let me know, thankyou :)

2. sunny304

sunny304 What's a Dremel?

all sounds good, but you need to also buy a hard disk drive

also, do you have a budget on this ?

3. Slizza

Slizza beautiful to demons

The price on the 4870x2 is Fantastic...

Looks good to me though i would choose some ram with tighter timings and a mobo with 6 dimm slots.
    And also a good CPU cooler, it would be a crime not to overclock the i7 chip.

4. Carper

Carper Guru

That graphics card is out of stock now. Hope you got the last one. What was the price for it ?

5. TheManicGibbon

TheManicGibbon I have no idea what's going on

Maybe a sound card + speakers?

I can vouch for a Creative SoundBlaster X-Fi Xtreme Audio-brilliant sound for music, films and games.

A bit of tweaking with the supplied software, and you can get a great sound setup, especially with the virtual surround sound that works great, even on my 2.1 Dell A525s.

PS- The 525s are on offer right now, and a great buy if you dont want to shell out for something like Creative T40s

Hope i've been of some help.

Otherwise, build looks great.:thumb:

6. joe0709

joe0709 What's a Dremel?

Thank's for the help so far.

Unfortunately I didn't get the graphics card :( Just my luck.

My budget is around the £1200 mark but can stretch but that is for everything including the monitor, mouse, keyboard and speakers.

I'd really appreciate it if any of you could take a look at the site and reccommend me something (graphics card i guess :p)

7. Sh0cKeR

Sh0cKeR a=2(s-ut)/t²

A couple of things to change to your list:
    Graphics card wise its best to hold off for a couple of weeks as the new gpu's are coming out very soon. However if you want it quickly, then it has to be either a 4870x2 or a gtx 295 if you want to max out crysis. A 3rd party cooler is a must, which the Titan Fenrir is just about the best you can buy for air cooling. Also power supply wise, something like a Corsair TX850 Modular would be great if you ever wanted to do crossfire on that board simply because makes like Corsair, Be Quiet and Enermax are the best you can get for high end PSU's. Hard drive wise you couldn't go wrong with a Samsung Spinpoint F1, or a Seagate 7200.12 1tb as the pound per Gigabyte is getting down to the 5p range now.

Building your first PC can be daunting, but if your confident in your research and put thought behind it you should be fine. Also Items such as cable ties, Magnetic screwdrivers and wire cutters are essential for making the job easier.

Good luck!

8. oasked

oasked Stuck in (better) mud

The new ATI DX11 cards are launching imminently (i.e. the next week or so). Buying a graphics card before then would be madness, as the new cards will be faster and they'll make the older ones cheaper in price.

9. sunny304

sunny304 What's a Dremel?

lol reitteration

hard disk drive is a necessity :p

10. H2O

H2O Burnt Acrylic - Mmmmmm

It may be worth waiting for the new i7s and P55s too. They should be out within 1 week.

11. joe0709

joe0709 What's a Dremel?

Ok, looks like i'm going to have to hold off for a week or 2.

Would anyone be able to suggest a better list in a week or so when the new releases are out, I'd choose but as I said i'm not really good with specs :blush:

Bearing in mind I want to DESTROY crysis on high settings if possible.

12. DK63

DK63 Resident magpie

The new Core i5 is out now. Just been reading about it. Bang for buck it wipes the floor with everything else available, including the i7. Runs much cooler, and auto overclocks by nearly 400Mhz if you're lucky. You can run it with dual channel memory instead of a more costly triple kit as well.

13. H2O

H2O Burnt Acrylic - Mmmmmm

The i7 860/870 really doesn't make sense, because for $60 more you can have a 1366 i7 system that, when overclocked, would mop the floor with the 1156/i7 860 combo.

The only reason to go for 1156 would be get an i5 750 and overclock it, but the i7 would hold it's own on single threaded apps, and it would greatly outperform the i7 860 in multithreaded apps.

Also, the future high-end chips will be on the 1366 socket. I'm worried that Intel will see slow sales of the 860/870 and make the 1156 a "Mainstream only" socket, with the enthusiast chips reserved for the 1366 socket.

Last edited: 11 Sep 2009
  14. Aracos

Aracos What's a Dremel?

Personally I would go against the Xtreme Audio, it's not even an x-fi card it uses the old sound blaster audigy chipset same with the xtreme audigy if you go for a dedicated sound card the xtreme gamer is a minimum.

15. damienVC

damienVC What's a Dremel?

+1 for storm20200 - the xtreme gamer is a much better card.

16. mm vr

mm vr The cheesecake is a lie

Pfft, an Asus Xonar pwns all Creative cards together! :p

17. dushuai

dushuai What's a Dremel?

How about the HDMI interface of Display card,did it support?anyway,everything is nice.

18. Jambo72

Jambo72 Playstuff.net

Here is the build I came up with below that seems to meet your criteria. I would suggest either getting a ATI DX11 card or any other card because they will all dramatically drop in price (fingers crossed about price drop). The top shop is scan.com, the ebuyer and the speakers are from laskys.com.

[​IMG]

Sorry about the cut off i7 920

P.S. THIS SUCKS, Ram has gone up by £20 in the last month!!!111one!!11 :waah:

19. Aracos

Aracos What's a Dremel?

I'm not gonna get drawn into that argument again, I was just making sure he knew what he was buying, feel free to state Asus's equivilent though.