1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cant get folding to work! :(

Discussion in 'bit-tech Folding Team' started by malaroo978, 4 Sep 2009.

1. malaroo978

malaroo978 What's a Dremel?

Hey guys, Im having trouble setting up a folding client on my pc! can anyone help? :)

I used to fold for CPC ages ago but havnt for a long time, but wanna start up again. And I cant get the client to work, when I download and run the aplication it puts the files in the folder and then I double click the install.bat and it opens up the command window. I press enter to go past the first option, then it asks for a password (i dont have one for windows) and then it tries to connect after i enter a random password and wont connect (i think). comes up with error saying the machine actively blocked it or something like that (not at my pc at the moment) I have allowed it access on the firewall though :S

Im running windows 7 RC 64bit with an i7 860. Any suggestions?

Cheers guys :)

2. Norfolk'N'Good

Norfolk'N'Good Folding Chimp

If you are using the 6.23 smp client for your CPU you need to also download the "6.24 drop in" binary, that is on the same download page the 6.23 expired in July. Edit you do need a window password.

3. Unicorn

Unicorn Uniform November India

Seems like you are trying to set up the SMP client, which is challenging for the most proficient of users. I have ran into the same problem as you are experiencing in the past, and I'll be hinest with you - after about an hour I threw in the towel and went the VMware way. It's a virtual folding application created by Notfred and it runs the folding client on a virtual unix machine on your windows host. As a rule of thumb it will produce more PPD than the normal SMP clients and it's a lot easier to set up.

There are plenty of guides to it here on the folding forum if you search for "VMware folding". Can't find and post you links right now because I am in a hurry but if you have trouble finding them just say so and I will get them for you later today.

4. Christopher N. Lew

Christopher N. Lew Folding in memory of my father

You appear to be trying to set up Windows SMP folding.
    You WILL need a Windows password.
    You WILL also need the 6.24 drop-in.
    You MAY need to run the machine 24/7 to meet the deadlines.

I have a short-cut in my Startup folder, which sometimes gives error messages like those you describe. But once the machine has finished booting up, then a manual click on the short cut starts the client with no trouble. If you have other folding clients installed, then don't start them until you have sorted out the SMP.

I always use the instructions at http://folding.stanford.edu/English/WinSMPGuideDEINO.
    These have always worked smoothly for me, following them closely, but I have trouble with the VMware folding (32 bit Windows XP). YMMV.

As you are using 64 bit Windows you will need the instructions here http://folding.stanford.edu/English/WinSMPGuideMPICH

HTH

5. malaroo978

malaroo978 What's a Dremel?

Cheers guys, Ill try this later. Thanks for the quick responses hopefully ill manage to work it. Yer, it is the SMP client. I may try the VMware way if its easier? Link would be useful but dont worry I can always have a look around when I get back!

6. Norfolk'N'Good

Norfolk'N'Good Folding Chimp

Try this if your CPU can support VT, it should net you more ppd than the regular client:
    http://www.ocforums.com/showpost.php?p=6061638&postcount=3