1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware What Hardware Should I Buy? - Sept 2009

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 15 Sep 2009.

1. Skiddywinks

Skiddywinks Minimodder

I have seen Intel roadmap slides with the 920 atleast still in circulation in 2010, even if not still being manufactured.

2. ano

ano 8-bit Bandit

Depends where you are in the world but in the UK at least that's illegal. You're making a copy so infringing the owner's copyright. Private copying is not excepted in the UK or Ireland (but is everywhere else in the EU). It is something which might be reformed but hasn't been yet.

Back to the article though and I'm holding my breath (with what feels like many others) to see the price changes (if any) on the release of the new ATi GPUs.

3. Scootiep

Scootiep Minimodder

Maybe I'm out of the loop and just haven't been able to find any articles along this line but has the bit-tech think tank ever toyed with the idea of including one or two HTPC builds in their buyers guide? I would personally like to see a guide geared towards aesthetics, noise reduction and HD playback capabilities. If I'm missing an article somewhere, someone please point me in the right direction.

4. mrbens

mrbens What's a Dremel?

Thanks for the replies.

I'm already a subscriber to that great mag! =)

5. trig

trig god's little mistake

the hx850 from corsair is awesome...whichever price is best is what i would grab. and fwiw, the new xfx 850 watt psu is an oem seasonic and tested amazing...

6. jamesthebard

jamesthebard Too Much Time On My Hands

It's illegal in the US. Lawyers accept that backing up CD's are part of Fair Use, but when you add CSS (DVD) and AACS (BluRay) you run afoul of the DMCA.

Last edited: 15 Sep 2009
  7. glenster

glenster glenster

For the high end chassis, the Silverstone Raven RV02 is cheaper and supposed to be better.

8. B1GBUD

B1GBUD ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Accidentally Funny

Do people still buy PC mags? I generally flick through looking at stuff that's atleast a month old that hasn't been poured over on the interwebs... then shudder when the mag is priced at over £5

Or am I just tight wad?

9. Aterius Gmork

Aterius Gmork smell the ashes

Maybe, but it looks worse.

10. Skiddywinks

Skiddywinks Minimodder

No, I'm the same. Nothing beats the internet for up-to-the-date news and free information.

11. lankyn

lankyn What's a Dremel?

So you'd recommend buying the i7 920 over the i5 because it overclocks more? Am I the only gamer who doesn't o/c cause I prefer stability and quiet? Guess I must be, as the i5 seems a much better option all round - its at least £50 cheaper, has cheaper motherboards and performs better or equally as well in most tests. Am I missing something here? And should we expect a price drop anytime soon?

12. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

One button overclocking? A lot of boards have BIOS' that have some variant of this.

13. bumfluff

bumfluff What's a Dremel?

I would like to know too. Please answer Bindi.

14. haddow64

haddow64 What's a Dremel?

Hmm glad I went i7 (920) then instead of holding out :D

Last edited: 15 Sep 2009
  15. mrplow

mrplow obey the fist!!

as a perpetual mid-range buyer personally I would go for, and indeed did go for, a 4770.

it even brought my PC's power consumption down nicely, which might be important for some other people too

16. trig

amen brother plow...preach it!

17. Mathmarauder

Mathmarauder What's a Dremel?

Could I get away with using the Corsair VX450 power supply in the enthusiast overclocker rig? The amp ratings appear very close, 33amps on 1 +12v rail versus the Modstream's 36 amps across 2 +12v rails. The reason I ask is that I already own the VX450 so that would save me buying a power supply.

18. trig

not sure how many amps the 4870 or 4890 needs, but i would think if 36 amps can run it, 33 ought to work. try searching for amperage requirements to be sure.

19. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Next month it will be ;)

20. 00se7en

00se7en Too many computers, too little time

Graphics card prices are pretty much all over the place at the moment. Managed to grab myself a Powercolor 4850 512mb for £71 which should do nicely I reckon until there are sufficient titles out there which actually make use of DX11. Even a 4650 is about £50 so don't reckon I can lose out too much with this. HDMI socket means it can be put out to pasture in an HTPC at some point.

Thought long and hard about the 4770, but reckon my PSU can handle it so will take the free speed boost.

Last ATI card I had was a Sapphire X1950 (reference design) which kept crashing out due to overheating VRMs at standard clocks. That was promptly RMA'd and replaced with a 7900GTO. Don't let me down this time ATI!

Tags: Add Tags