1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics Nvidia GT300 produce 1.7% yield

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by javaman, 17 Sep 2009.

1. javaman

javaman May irritate Eyes

http://www.semiaccurate.com/2009/09/15/nvidia-gt300-yeilds-under-2/

The source isn't the greatest but I thought it would be worth discussing. The figure sounds way too low to be true so I think its BS. Whats your take on this?

2. smc8788

smc8788 Multimodder

That blog has been referenced here before, and the author was promptly denounced as an ATI fanboy, or at least someone with a very significant anti-nVidia bias.

I wouldn't lend any weight to what he has to say TBH.

3. docodine

docodine killed a guy once

Charlie Demerjian has made some pretty ridiculous anti-nVidia claims in the past, just ignore it.

4. Von Lazuli

Von Lazuli I get by fine with a jig-saw.

Hmm... I notice he always seems to pull facts and figures from nowhere as well.

Once I see several credible references I might be inclined to believe him, but where would figures like this come from? It is not as though Nvidia would release them if it was this bad...

Charlie if full of a lot of pent up Nvidia hate... I wonder if he walked in on a GeForce 4 and his mother?

5. trig

trig god's little mistake

2 geforce 4's if i remember correctly...wasn't something a boy should see

6. Tim S

Tim S OG

And back then it was a bit messy, because they didn't understand the concept of working in SLI :D

7. sandys

sandys Multimodder

To get such low yield the finger has to be pointed at TSMC surely, they provide all the verification flows and will also go through yield simulations with you via the on-line service, last time I heard of yields that bad it was because the fab needed to do some tweaks to their kit.

Although I have heard some class stuff from some companies recently regarding DFM like not bothering due to wasting die area (its such a negligible impact, well for the stuff I do, doesn't make sense) , perhaps NV took that approach, more fool them.

I suppose the size of the thing is whats killing it, so much to go wrong.

8. Malketh

Malketh What's a Dremel?

Epic win of a comment. That is all.

9. Slizza

Slizza beautiful to demons

Guru3d also think there is enough juice in this rumor to post it on there site.
    http://guru3d.com/news.html#10007
    They do stress that it is rumor though.

Fudzilla say Nvidia are confident the GT300 chip will beat the ATI chip but that dosn't mean to say the rumours of low yeild are not true...

http://www.fudzilla.com/content/view/15535/34/

The low yeild problems have been heard claimed by numerous sources now.. while it may be all bollocks, you know what they say, "no smoke without fire"

10. trig

trig god's little mistake

just hilarious...

11. UncertainGod

UncertainGod Minimodder

I have no doubt nVidia are having yield problems but this fanboi is off his rocker if he thinks the yield is as low as 1.7%

12. Slizza

Slizza beautiful to demons

Guru 3d report the same rumor.
    http://guru3d.com/news/nvidias-gt300-yields-pretty-bad-/
    It's not unthinkable if there was a fault somewhere in the process that was causing poor uniformity or a whole range of other problems that a yield of zero or 1.7% would come out there test batch..

13. ThunderBob

ThunderBob What's a Dremel?

Its not 'Nowhere' that he pulls his facts from. Its somewhere a lot more personal if you know what i mean.....

14. C-Sniper

C-Sniper Stop Trolling this space Ądmins!

his wife's/gf's/significant other's address book?

15. dushuai

dushuai What's a Dremel?

Just notice it is a discussion by a ATI fan or AMD fan,make a disadvantage topic surely.I am GeFans ,don`t mention it.

16. Kyocera

Kyocera The Garden of Evil

The yields are in reality such, that TSMC and Nvidia are now, as last resort, jointly praying for a miracle, ups, I mean deliverance. If the mentioned does not occur, we will probably sooner see the 28/32nm process, as satisfying prices for the GT300 chip.

What concerns the author in the question above: he is rotten within. It's not just Nvidia, it's his manner of doing. I wonder, what he does for living.

Last edited: 18 Sep 2009