1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaming Need for Speed: Shift Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 18 Sep 2009.

1. Tim S

Tim S OG

2. Musicboffin

Musicboffin What's a Dremel?

I think you'll find it's a "Whole new ball game"

3. Combatus

Combatus Bit-tech Modding + hardware reviews Lover of bit-tech Super Moderator

4. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

Compared to Forza?
    Graphics aside (i don't care), how Sim-my is this? we talking tyre pressure making a difference or we talking more GRID?

5. Dave Lister

Dave Lister Minimodder

I always found real life driving much easier than game driving so i will be sticking to racers like grid.
    This game sounds alot like the gran turismo games on playstation.

6. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

from the review it sounds like a bit of a schizophrenic mix of PGR and Forza...

7. Combatus

Yes we are talking tyre pressure making a difference - this is adjustable in the tuning options. It's much more realistic than GRID.

8. Naberius

Naberius What's a Dremel?

This has to be the best need for speed game in some time, although the steering doesn't feel quite as direct as it does in a real car. Still a huge improvement over the past 5/6 games.

9. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

is it me playing too much GRID or Shift is really, really hard to turn?

the damage model doesn't change much compared to Grid, and doesn't affect performance enough even on Full damage.

apart from those, it is the best non-police NFS ever! Most Wanted is the best police orientated NFS while Shift is the best racing NFS.

what i love about it is the tweaked controls, unlike Grid, controls with this has been made very easy to wave in-out of cars at relative high speed.

anyone else noticed PhysX on the DVD? does this game use PhysX at all? i don't see any settings and the game slows down when a lot of cars crash into each other.

10. V3ctor

V3ctor Tech addict...

That's your graphics card screaming :D:D Still love GRID, this seams a good option... I'm waiting on Dirt2 for PC and HD5870... Hen I'll see what to buy

11. Teq

Teq What's a Dremel?

Jason Plato surely? You can't easily trade paint in a Formula One car...

12. Claave

Claave You Rebel scum

Kazuki Nakajima begs to differ... :D

13. OWNED66

OWNED66 What's a Dremel?

emm opps
    i ment WTF not FU
    ehh sry

14. M7ck

M7ck Ⓜod Ⓜaster

Mr Schumacher has 'traded paint' on several occasions (quite a lot deliberatly). Villeneuve and Hill are the two that spring to mind.

15. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

1) You can edit your posts (bottom right hand corner)

2) You are entitled to your opinion and I see you withdrew the comment but the first one was overstepping to trollish behaviour and has been removed.

3) Constructively please, tell us why.

4) You have a full keyboard in front of you and ten fingers: USE them. ;)

16. Combatus

Well I wasn't really refering to all three, but surely he's a contender for latter two! ;)

17. Combatus

Shift was slightly dissapointing visually compared to GRID which is also a much older game. Realism and gameplay are good, yes but we have to consider everything. It has something for everyone but chances are because of that you'll find something you don't like too.

18. The Growler

The Growler What's a Dremel?

While I normally tend to agree with your reviews, this is the second one in the last few weeks I have to disagree with (the first being Wolfenstein). I think Shift looks great (maybe you need to dump the AMD cards and go with Invidia?). You have the ability to tweak the settings to make the driving as realistic or as arcade as you want and if you want to run practice laps with your own cars, just go to "quick race" and set the number of opponents to "0". You not only get to practice on different tracks with your own cars, you can make a few bucks (quid) too.
    Buy the way, I thought Wolfenstein was great and you didn't give it the credit it deserved.

19. The boy 4rm oz

The boy 4rm oz Project: Elegant-Li

I have been looking forward to this ever since they released the fail that they called "Undercover".

20. OWNED66

OWNED66 What's a Dremel?

well it feels like grid looks ,better than grid, u can tune ur car and feel more life like when ur in the drivers seat
    isnt that enough for an 8
    and i still dont know how to edit can u upload a pic and post a link of it
    sry again

Tags: Add Tags