1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaming Free MMORPG Round Up

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Claave, 20 Sep 2009.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

I wanted to get Kingdom of Loathing in there, but alas...

2. Toka

Toka Minimodder

Just to point out, I deffo think that the reviewer should spend 10 hours playing Hello Kittty

Come on Mark - you know you love it.

3. mrbens

mrbens What's a Dremel?

"There are no more boobs in Evony than there is cake in Portal."

hehe, classic =)

4. docodine

docodine killed a guy once

How is 4 Story compared to say, Free Realms?

5. HourBeforeDawn

HourBeforeDawn a.k.a KazeModz

so many other and much better free mmo out there and those are what you cover? is there going to be a part two where you review more?like Perfect World is a great and fun free mmorpg.

6. fwalm

fwalm Minimodder

I still play Runescape a bit, however I pay for the membership. :(

7. meh

meh What's a Dremel?

And KoL wasn't allowed in because? [okay, maybe the graphics are a little hand drawn... and stationary... and it doesn't really fit the general MMORPG mould...] =P

Last edited: 20 Sep 2009
  8. mute1

mute1 What's a Dremel?

ARTICLE: 'There are no more boobs in Evony than there is cake in Portal.'

So they put only one in the game?! (There was one cake in Portal, you know)

9. HourBeforeDawn

HourBeforeDawn a.k.a KazeModz

ya why does people say there is no cake in Portal did these people not finish the game and saw the cake when the credits started rolling???

10. TheGovernator

TheGovernator What's a Dremel?

I remember playing something called Travia Online which was pretty good, but then they decided to shut off access to everyone but Korea. Not surprised seeing that they are the only country where MMO-geek equals cool.

I also missed Anarchy Online in the article. I am aware of the fact that it's ancient by now (started in 2003) but it's one of few better sci-fi MMORPGs out there (in my opinion). They actually wrote a novel about the backstory to the game, and it's readable to the point where I enjoyed the first fifteen chapters or so.

Silkroad was pretty good as well, until it got virtually impossible to log on.... That threw me off and got me started on Cabal, where I grinded though the first 50 levels and gave up. It's just too darn repetitive. To kill 140 spawns of something that can kill you with 2 hits just isn't fair. In the end offline gaming still doesn't face much competition from these free games.

Oh, and there are two cakes in portal. One in the main menu screen after completion of the game, and one in the very end that has its candle put out by a robot arm. Or it's the same cake twice. But I don't see how a clunky robot arm can light a candle without having a frekkin flame thrower mounted.

Last edited: 21 Sep 2009
  11. dec

dec [blank space]

BOOOOOOOOBevonyBOOOOOOOOOB

12. Flexible_Lorry

Flexible_Lorry What's a Dremel?

Whenever an article like this comes up I find out that someone, somewhere, has made another MMO

13. Flexible_Lorry

Flexible_Lorry What's a Dremel?

And re cake business: saying there was no cake in portal probably alludes to the fact that no useful cake was ever there. It was a lie, and you couldn't eat it. It was a promise that was never delivered. It was an un-cake. A fail-cake.

14. Tris

Tris What's a Dremel?

There's one that i used to play years ago and recently tried out again called puzzle pirates which is quite a chuckle. You basically sail about as a pirate performing various tasks on a ship (sailor, carpenter etc), with the twist being that all the roles are puzzles, for example a tetris type game for carpentry.
    You can sail around performing these tasks for free, then either pay a subscription to go on a "paid ocean" or use microtransactions to allow you to do more, like run a shop or buy a ship. Kinda not a real mmo in that you don't level up, but you do earn currency to buy clothing and stuff, and can buy a house/ship. Java based, so I find it fun to stick on for 30mins or so in my lunch break :)

15. Cutter McJ1b

Cutter McJ1b Home-cut jibs at discount Prices

+1

16. Kiytan

Kiytan Shiny

2001 ;) Shadowlands launched in 2003. And yes the graphics do leave something to be desired (new engine is on the way however) But still looks fairly decent compared to a lot of free games

17. nukeman8

nukeman8 What's a Dremel?

Surprised no one has mentioned the fact that you can buy EVE Online gametime with in game money.
    Yes you have to pay with real £ until you get good enough but after that it can be a free game if you put enough time into it.

18. RoninRa

RoninRa What's a Dremel?

You should make a part 2 of this round-up. As others have mentioned, there are alot of great free MMOs out there that you missed. Like D&D Online, Anarchy Online, Lunia, Runes of Magic and Takiodom (these are all IMHO ofc ;) )

19. SubtleOne

SubtleOne What's a Dremel?

I completely concur with RoninRa. Although I eventually found Runes of Magic to be terribly boring, it is well-done, and shouldn't be ignored. Dungeons and Dragons Online, now free, is a whole different ball-game. That is very fun, and truly un-missable IMHO. A lot of changes have taken place since the first inception in 2006 (according to vets I spoke with), such as some design issues, and the geography among other things. One starts limited to level 4, but you can win items that extend this until you can eventually unlock the whole game if you stick at it.

20. mute1

mute1 What's a Dremel?

Sorry to disagree with your philosophising (and you, Cutter) but, well... I do.
    'Is the essence of the cake dependent on it's name: 'cake'? How many cakes can dance on the head of a pin? Do the gods care for the cake's existence? Does the cake's spirit live on until the universe is consumed by fire and reborn?'
    cake cogitat ergo est.
    But whatever...

Tags: Add Tags