1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NotFred & BigAdv's...

Discussion in 'bit-tech Folding Team' started by coolamasta, 14 Sep 2009.

1. coolamasta

coolamasta Folding@Home CC Captain 2010/11/12

Does anyone know if you could get the NotFred bootable client from a CD or USB stick (NOT the VM) to run BigAdvs or if no-one has tried does anyone know how to add parameters like -SMP 8 and -BIGADV to the NotFred config?
    I'm assuming I can just edit the config.cfg and add the line "extra_parms=" in but not sure if it works the same as the normal Linux config?

Reason I ask is I should be getting a couple of new HP G6 servers in the next couple of weeks and I want "to test them" for at least a week before I make them live so what better to test than a bit of folding! ;)

They have 2 x X5560 Xeon CPU's per server so 4 all together but there's no chance I can install Linux so its going to be a bootable CD/USB stick or nothing! Was just hoping to squeeze a few bigadvs out while I can! ;) :D

Last edited: 14 Sep 2009
  2. saspro

saspro IT monkey

Install linux on to a usb stick?

3. Unicorn

Unicorn Uniform November India

Off topic question but what does the "Dev" in bigdev stand for? I'm only aware of bigadv...

4. coolamasta

Hmmm, forgot you can run Linux from a USB key, might look into that, cheers sas...

:blush: :blush: Oops, my bad! I meant BigAdv's not BigDevs's lol, been working on some VM's for our development team this morning and have dev on the brain :lol:

5. dark_avenger

dark_avenger Minimodder

you can use NotFreds just kill the process then run it from the command line.

not the best way but easier than making up your own USB linux stick

6. Unicorn

Unicorn Uniform November India

Thought that :hehe: You had me thoroughly confused for a while there :D

7. PS3/LanDi

PS3/LanDi Give me the Mirror

Please forgive my question but ive been looking for a while now and im not sure how to get one of these 'bigadv' work units or if it can be done on server 2008 (instead of linux?).

if so ive got two duel quad xeon machines ready and willing, eitherway sounds like its worth the effort, and we need the points at the moment.

so if anyone can let me know or point me to the right thread it would be much appriciated,

:)

8. Tesla effect

Tesla effect AKA ZombieKiller1

Sorry for going for going off topic but I just got hit with nostalgia. Shenmue, what a fantastic game. Shenmue 2 was also brilliant & I even preferred the lack of US english audio translation which enhanced the role play. Sadly I doubt we will see the series completed.

Last edited: 25 Sep 2009
  9. coolamasta

Sorry mate but the bigadv's can only be ran on native Linux :( I wish they would work on windows but sadly not at the moment.

I still need to get a couple of bootable Ubuntu 64 USB keys made up ready to crunch some big devs to test these new uber fast servers im getting, you could have a go at that as well?

10. PS3/LanDi

PS3/LanDi Give me the Mirror

shame its not windows, ah well i will also look in to the usb option thanks!:thumb: