1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HAL is coming...

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Shadowman, 16 Nov 2002.

1. Shadowman

Shadowman What's a Dremel?

I wish...

All I got is a simple little rad atm (maxxpert miro) to work with :)

But hey, if anyone is interested in giving me 2 dual 120mm rads, feel free ;)

2. Shadowman

In fact, if I did have em I could do some crazy intercooling...

3. ToiletDuck

ToiletDuck What's a Dremel?

rar finally signed up,
    the angle grindering looks class :D
    Looks like B&Q have been doing a decent bit of trade from us all recently :eeek:
    gimmi a shout if u need any help finishing it, cant wait to see it at the lan though :cooldude:

4. Shadowman

Well, I have now managed to get myself one large tin of hammerite paint remover, an alarm clock (I will explain later) and some more W&D paper.

Tho I am still not sure about the brushed effect with it, I might do one panel and then have a look.

Will probably post some piccies as well tomorrow at some point :)

5. Shadowman

An update (piccies to follow)

Ok, I am just giving you all a quick update on where I stand, as this mod is turning out to be a real challenge ;)

Firstly, I have now got 8 days to effectively have this case done and dusted, and I am beginning to wonder if I have bitten off more than I can chew :eeek:

But, true to my word, HAL is coming with me to the lan, even if I have to finish modding it myself while I am there...

The castors are now on properly. I bought some with proper bolt on fittings as I thought they were the most heavy duty things I could get without making them too big, and were £5 a pop from B&Q (Home Depot in the US). They are really nice actually, and I am really pleased with em.

I bought some hammerite metal paint stripper, and unfortunately I was rather disappointed. I was under the impression that it would make strippingthe paint simple and easy, but instead it ended up making things rather sticky and not very clean at all. I ended up resorting to a bit of elbow grease and a sanding block equipped with some W&D and some washing up liquid and water to finish it off to what I call a reasonable standard.

I have decided that a recoating of black would be the best option for the case, as a brushed alu effect would spoil the whole idea it was based on (HAL was black remember).

Tho I am not sure on whether I trust myself to have a set of case panels painted in 8 days by myself, or whether I will go to 'the dark side' and take them to a body shop.

I have hardly ever used much in the way of paint, and it looks a reasonably large amount of money (hey, i'm a student!) to go and waste on paint and lacquer just to cock it up. Tho I may do it myself and live dangerously.

I will elaborate more on what the alarm clock was for now: I walked into a general purpose store yesterday in search of a convex piece of circular glass (a bit like a lens, but without the zoom/blurr effect, as I want it to have a webcam behind it). I ended up purely by chance seeing this made in korea old fashioned wind up alarm clock, that had exactly the thing I was looking for. I then surprised the shop assistant by asking her whether the clock was possible to take apart, with which she replied 'you want to buy a clock to destroy it? you must be mad!'. I subsequently bought the clock (and an ammo case as it was £3.50, and is a very nice shape to be modding with... but that's for later ;) ). I then got home and instantly took it apart. Success! It is a perfect shape for what I wanted it for, and a very good size too. I am aiming to have a webcam hidden somewhere near/inside the glass eye, so that the eye can effectively see me when the red led is on, as that will probably be the power indicator.

I am also beginning work on my plexi waterfall panel. As I see it, I am aiming to have a panel about the size of a panel and about 1cm thick, tho I will have to look at this. It will be stuck together with araldite clear, and will also have sealant around the outside of the panel, just to be safe. The panel will also double up as my reservoir as well, just to save me having to fabricate a seperate one, and to help eliminate air bubbles that are incorporated with such a mechanism. There will be a bleed off point situated inside the opposite corner of the panel to the pump outlet to empty it when needed, and a fill up point situated in the top of the panel, for the opposite purpose :)

Other than that, I am aiming to have 3 red cold cathodes inside the panels, as the grills will sown some nice red light going through them, which would look kinda cool, and I may possibly make me a night rider LED kit to stick on the top panel just behind the grills for a bit of a laugh, but only if I think the red CC's don't work that well.

I have still gotta sort out the motherboard standoffs inside the inner casing, but that shouldn't pose too much of a problem, and also have to fit the drive bays in too, which brings me to a dilemma. I am not sure on what do do with the CD drives, as I can't just leave them white, and painting them black I think would spoil it a little. I was thinking of getting some drive bay covers and sticking some sort of mirror vinyl covering on them to attempt to make it blend in with the rest of theshiny front, but I am worried that it will look tacky.

I may have to get me some more steel and atempt to polish it up for a set of drive bay covers :/

And all this, including my first water kit setup has to be done in 8 days...

And to top it all off, I have exams for the next two days and have to help organise the lan as well.

This is going to be one long weekends worth of modding then...

Will keep you posted with the piccies of it all tho, so stay tuned :D

6. Haddy

Haddy World Domination

Coulda just given us 3 pics and been done with it :p :D

Got any update pics?

7. Shadowman

Wish I had... :(

I only posted it to provide detailed commentary on what Iam doing, to try to give ppl most of the info they crave :)

I haven't got a camera to get any piccies done.

Have been relying on spike to come round and lend me his lovely camera for piccies.

Will have some later on today tho :D

So like I said, stay tuned :p

hehe

8. zackerouac

zackerouac bring it

you tease! :lol:

9. webchimp

webchimp What's a Dremel?

[​IMG]

I can feal it Dave, I can feel my mind going......

10. mrplow

mrplow obey the fist!!

very nice... but please stop angle grinding in your living room! :eek: :D

11. Jamie

Jamie ex-Bit-Tech code junkie

Shadowman .... you have to get the front to look exactly like that !!!

Grill in the bottom section, a big HAL9000 case badge or something and the led in the eye. :D

Will look so cool

12. webchimp

.....and the inside should look like this:

[​IMG]

Daisy, Daisy give me your answer do.....

13. Tau

Tau Sharingan!

Hmm...this is dangerous...

I mean, what are you gonna do when it locks you out of your house?

14. zackerouac

zackerouac bring it

with crawlspaces too?

15. webchimp

Open the front door HAL....HAL OPEN THE FRONT DOOR....HAL YOU FRICKEN PENTIUM BRAINED PIECE OF SH*T, OPEN THE FRONT DOOR......

Don't leave the house without your space helmet. :D

16. Tau

Tau Sharingan!

Or your keys.....

you could wire the machine up to control your house once its complete, using that home automation kit :) That'd be pretty sweet, especially if you could start issuing it voice commands!

/me dreams

17. Hwulex

Hwulex Minimodder

Re: An update (piccies to follow)

Dang! Sounds exactly like my Laquia mod I've been wanting to do for ages :waah:. Unfortunately, I have *no* cash atm so all modding is halted. Sucks ass! :waah:

Will be nice to see how someone else gets on with it though and how it turns out. Looks like a good project in general. Good work, and good luck :D

18. Deymos

Deymos What's a Dremel?

I wish i've registered way before...

OMG!!
    this case looked like they kicked it down the stairs...
    in a crate full of nails...
    made of plutonium!!:eeek:

Ur making a lot of work, it'll look nice when it's finished...
    So keep posting piccies!:nono:

19. cakes

cakes What's a Dremel?

abuse to the case

well, i did say that we had trouble getting it home (40kg+ weight) and that we kicked it out the back door to let it tumble across the concrete path cos we were so **** with it for injuring us all.

20. Shadowman

A small update (piccies to follow VERY soon)

HAL made it to the lan, albeit only half finished :(

Though it is already looking nice, and will only get better from now on.

My next target to have it totally done is the 14th of december, as that is the current date of a nice big lan to go to (G2002). I have got to work out how the panels are going on solidly yet, as they were originally meant to go on with rivets, and I had to drill em out to repaint em etc, I have to work out how to stick my waterfall panel together, as I stuck it together with araldite clear, and then sealed it with silicone sealant, but it still fell apart once it came into contact with water (I am now pretty much sorted for this, as I have got some solvent based acrylic welding stuff).

The water kit has yet to go in for obvious reasons (lack of a reservoir...) but it is getting there.

HALs eye is going to be worked on a little more to get it sorted, and I gotta sort me out a rheostat/fanbus, and the cold cathodes have gotta go in too.

Things are looking a lot better tho, and I will get some piccies up ASAP (today prolly) with what I have done so far :)

Stay Tuned ;)