1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News UK's first open access fibre network showcased

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 28 Sep 2009.

1. Jack_Pepsi

Jack_Pepsi Clan BeeR Founder

I'm with you on that - I'd happy pay £50 a month for 100up 100down.

2. ccsleeds

ccsleeds What's a Dremel?

100Mb/s up and down

Chaps.

You are not going to get 100Mb/s un-contended and un-limited for anything like the kind of figures you are suggesting. The Absolute cheapest IP transit provider here in the UK (who most would not use as their transit is quite honestly shocking) is pricing at £2.90 per Mb/s at present in 10Gb/s commit levels. Therefore un-contended and un-limited that 100Mb/s through your door starts around £300 per month, assuming the sub-lease cost of the fibre and the cost of getting IP transit to an interconnect point is nothing.

Of course you could contend it at 20:1 and then it could potentially cost £15 per user for rubbish transit or closer to £30 per month for anything decent, but its then not un-limited obviously.

Pete

3. Jack_Pepsi

Jack_Pepsi Clan BeeR Founder

We can dream can't we?

4. Darth_yoda

Darth_yoda What's a Dremel?

Well when I e-mailed the fibrecity chaps they said that because the fibre would be laid by the sewer this would DRAMATICALLY reduce the overall cost to the consumer because very little digging would occur. But saying that I have asked fibrecity and i3 networks on a cost guideline and fibrecity shrugged the question off and i3/H20 networks hasn't e-mailed back yet.

5. ccsleeds

Well true, and assuming the cost of getting transit to their fibre isn't too high and renting the fibre to premises is sensible, it wouldn't be beyond sensible realms of probability to deliver perhaps 10 or 20:1 contention services - at the end of the day that still allows the potential download of 3 or 1.5Tb per month per end user for a raw IP transit cost of perhaps £30-40pm plus interconnect and tail circuit costs - all in it should be sub £100pm with these levels of contention.

6. Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes Hypernobber

Can I have that in writing?

7. ccsleeds

Indeed the articles does state connections at 100Mb/s. However it also reads

This implies the service is a last mile access medium only and requires the buy-in of ISPs, content providers etc etc to actually deliver services to the premises. Which means you are returning to the commercial model of the data providers in the case of internet access.

The figures I provided are real-world, realistic current ones for current market and I would suggest be a base model for those trying to put realistic service delivery costs around the service. No-one can possibly deliver a truly un-contended 100Mb/s leased line to the door for 50-100 - lord that isn't possible in blooming Telehouse on a private cable to IP Transit.

8. Mephi

Mephi What's a Dremel?

If you're paying for an 8Mb link then you should be getting an 8Mb link.

However if you're paying for an up to 8Mb link then you are, in fact, getting what you're paying for.

9. B3CK

B3CK Minimodder

Here in the states, cable is offering 10mb down, 1mb up, for $55 a month. Unlimited data. My Uncle works for a company that sells copper, fiber, and backbone network equipment to the major ISP's. When he was in Austin, TX, US, they were testing fiber to the home, in select neighborhoods, and at one point were offering 100mb to customers with unlimited data access. However, they were having problems of kids starting to run huge data through PTP torrents, and had to alter their plans to provide 'fair use' to the neighborhood. As each house was capable of 100mb, the cabinet was limited to being shared by everyone there. Eventually they evened out the lines to 50mb to customers for default offerings, and could upgrade back to 100mb for double the price.

Now what happens when you have to 'snake' your sewage lines? Is the plumber responsible for tearing up the fiber line?

10. Zeus-Nolan

Zeus-Nolan Minimodder

I was left in the dark by them after 15 calls and filling out two forms for the service so i'm not bothered i get 1.9mb/s with sky anyway so i'm not too unhappy and sky didn't bat an eye when i did 1.5tb in a few weeks i'm sure they will

11. delriogw

delriogw What's a Dremel?

i have to admit i'm quite torn on this.

on one hand it's great that these kind of steps are being taken, on the other, there's so many people outside the big cities that live with stupidly poor internet that i'd rather there was investment to improve the nation wide network.

12. Hypno

Hypno What's a Dremel?

I'm pretty lucky, I live 200 meters straight line from my exchange but still don't feel I get full 8Mb speeds.

13. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

the problem the uk has, is the fact we have the oldest telephone network in the world, other countries didn't have the infrastructure we have, so were able to put newer equipment in at a lower cost, than having to replace everything we have here.

14. erratum1

erratum1 What's a Dremel?

I'm in the sticks 2mb round here, can't wait for it to at least go up to 6mb. jeez, the uk is so behind compared with other countries, were like living in caves compared to others.

15. ZERO <ibis>

ZERO <ibis> Minimodder

This is good news now only 200 years before I can get it in the states!

16. leexgx

leexgx CPC hang out zone (i Fix pcs i do )

dono why virgin have not jumped on BT (ofcom) for advertiseing 20mb BB on an ADSL line that technically they cant provide basically only 5-10% of the UK can get it(need to be within 0.5-1 KM of the local exchange thats Wire length not from you to the exchange line of sight). on avg its 4mb from the customers i have seen some are on 7mb but never seen any faster then that

17. pepepedraza11

pepepedraza11 What's a Dremel?

Under Open Access philosophy, Redalyc aims to contribute to the editorial scientific activity produced in and about Ibero-America making available for public consultation the contents of 550 scientific journals of different knowledge areas: <a href="http://redalyc.uaemex.mx/">http://redalyc.uaemex.mx</a>

18. patm

patm What's a Dremel?

I'm involved in building open access fibre networks in Germany for local communities. Open access is a relatively new concept in Germany and the regulations for such compliance is not as advance as it is in the UK. Regarding symmetrical users bandwidths... There is no current need for symmetrical upstream bandwidths as a typical residential customer will never use this. Analysis of typical upstream traffic patterns shows that customers at best will use 25% of the downstream capacity for uploads; this however is not true for business customers which have proven needs for symmetrical services.

Regarding traffic shaping, the network operator still has great control in this area and can implement it on the fibre access line as well as in the backbone of their network. They need to increase their internal network capacities and have links to locally offered services in order for the end user / customer to see an improvement in their quality of service. Upgrading the customer access network alone will not improve service quality.

Tags: Add Tags