1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Windows 7 Compatible logo scheme unveiled

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 1 Oct 2009.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. Bauul

Bauul Sir Bongaminge

It's a step in the right direction to moving the mainstream over the 64bit computing.

Is it just me, or are all these steps-in-the-right-direction Microsoft have been making recently starting to worry you? It's just not right that they are being so, well, sensible!

3. dec

dec [blank space]

hopefully this will stop some computer manufacturers from selling something with 4GB of RAM and a 32-bit OS. Wouldnt it make more sense just to make windows 7 64bit only? Because of Vista all computers come with 2Gb RAM anyways and a 64bit OS wouldnt change much.

4. reflux

reflux What's a Dremel?

Good stuff. Very sensible.

5. Baz

Baz I work for Corsair

Will be interested to see if any SSDs will start to carry this - asaik no SSD on release has yet been able to meet MS's WIn7 requirements.

6. Bursar

Bursar What's a Dremel?

No, because not all software is 64bit compatible. We have a few people at work who are quite looking forward to getting Win7 on their work machines, but will be limited to the 32bit version because of issues with certain bits of software that they have to use.

7. amacieli

amacieli What's a Dremel?

Is there, actually, anything 32-bit that doesn't run on 64-bit? Haven't found anything myself so far, other than a touchpad driver for the Envy.

8. adam_bagpuss

adam_bagpuss Have you tried turning it off/on ?

all 32bit software should run on 64bit OS. the only thing you have to have is 64bit drivers for all your hardware. ive also yet to find anything that wont run on 64bit

9. Grimloon

Grimloon What's a Dremel?

It's definitely cause for concern. The OS seems to work fine, no driver problems so far and they're redoing the compatibility scheme in a sensible fashion. What's next? The zombie apocalypse? :eeek:

10. l3v1ck

l3v1ck Fueling the world, one oil well at a time.

I think it's good that there have to be 64 bit drivers to get this. There's no excuse these days for only making 32 bit drivers.

11. l3v1ck

Maybe not this time as there will still be some non-64 bit CPU's out there. Also 7 is just an evolution to Vista, so a 32 bit version will have been easy enough to make for MS.
    However I fully expect the successor to Windows 7 to be 64 bit only.

12. saxman

saxman What's a Dremel?

I have run into some DOS based software that needs to run in an 8-bit or 16-bit environment that will run just fine under a 32-bit OS but will not run on Vista 64-bit.

13. dyzophoria

dyzophoria Minimodder

maybe that would be a good candidate for windows xp mode? :)

14. saxman

saxman What's a Dremel?

Definitely, that is one of the features I am most looking forward to in 7. Even with the built in emulation those programs will not run in the vista 64-bit environment. I find it kinda funny that some of these engineering programs won't ever get updated from the original programming.

15. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

That's what DosBox is for.

16. TomH

TomH BELTALOWDA!

As above, but Google for 'WOW' (Windows On Windows) and see for yourself. Though I suppose in terms of support contracts, the software house may panic when asked to support their 32bit software on your 64bit OS. I've seen this before with something called 'Idiom Worldserver'.

"We can't use a 64-bit OS, they don't support it."

When the software costs thousands, as well as the support, you tend to find people won't tempt fate by bending the confines of their support contract. It's quite sad from our point of view, but there.

However, I'm impressed; this is a good move for Microsoft and computing in general. I also expect (hope?) that such a large shift to simultaneous 32/64bit computing will filter down to plenty of non-Microsoft applications. The official Adobe Flash player for Linux, as an example, is still pretty picky about what I play on my Ubuntu work machine. The 32bit release works like a charm here at home. I'm hoping that this (excellent) move by Microsoft will drive their development model towards better compatibility.

In all honesty I was hoping that the Home Premium/Professional/Ultimate end of the product range would all be 64bit or bust, personally. But I guess we'll simply have to wait for Windows 8. :)

17. i7lova

i7lova What's a Dremel?

I've found a few things that dont work. Mostly 2 netgear products, 1 was a wireless G usb dongle and the other a wireless G pci-e card. Both product boxes state "works with windows vista" however what they fail to mention is 32bit versions only as netgear offers no drivers for 64bit Vista. Learned the hard way. Hell even my cheapy dynew Wireless G dongle has Vista 64 bit drivers however they are constantly conflicting with windows causing random blue screens and also causing Windows to freeze randomly while trying to load at startup. So yes there is quite a bit of hardware out there that you have to be careful with if you run 64 bit.

18. xprodancer

xprodancer life is like a box of chocolates

this is a step in the right direction! when i bought my kit for vista ultimate 64 i could not get any drivers for it so had to send it all back and do my research into hardware that had my drivers! this was when vista first came out so its not realy a problem anymore!

19. l3v1ck

If you really must have a 32 bit OS, you could always dual boot with XP.

20. TomH

TomH BELTALOWDA!

You fail to read the thread! (Or even what you quoted.)

32-bit software should run just find on 64-bit versions of Windows.

32-bit drivers do not work at all on 64-bit versions of Windows.

Tags: Add Tags