1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Networks Help connecting to my PC from the 'net?

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by xprodancer, 2 Oct 2009.

1. xprodancer

xprodancer life is like a box of chocolates

hey guys i so need help on this i have been trying to connect to my pc from work and just cant figure it out!

do i need the ip address of my router???? also im using remote desktop for the connection and it works perfectly over my network at home! i need some one to tell me what to type into remote desktop at work to get to my pc!

many thanks peeps!!! :wallbash:

2. xprodancer

oh yeah just to let you know i have got a netgear wireless router (cabled to mine) with a scientific atlanta isp router or somin???? will look when i get home im at work right now!

3. Delphium

Delphium Eyefinity enabled

Yes your need the internet ip for your conneciton in order to connect to it form the internet.

Here you can find out what IP address your internet is currently using by visiting What Is My IP which will display your IP in big text at the top of the page. :thumb:
    EDIT: OK you need to do this on your home computer / the computer your wishing to connect to.

Next you might like to setup a DNS such as xprodancer.ath.cx for example, so you dont have to remeber the IP address.
    You can setup free DNS's with a number of suppliers, one free place i'd recommend would be DynDNS.com .

You will also need to setup your router to accept incoming connecitons from the internet.
    To setup the router to allow remote desktop, I recommend you visit portforward.com select your router or one close to it, (skip the giant addvertisment), and then follow the instructions provided.

One you have completed the above tasks you will then be able to insert your home internet IP addres, or the DNS if you set one up, into the remote desktop client at work.

Last edited: 2 Oct 2009
    thehippoz likes this.
  4. xprodancer

so in remote desktop do i type the ip address of the router then mine and the port number (as i changed it) and then connect???

eg: x.x.x.104:192.168.1.x:3370

5. dushuai

dushuai What's a Dremel?

First you need try the connection quality,use ping to get the echo.
    second be sure your home pc is open remote control service and not refuse by the firewall.
    third you should check the route whether it is block you.

6. Delphium

xprodancer, you visited "What Is My IP.com" from your home computer right??

Take the IP it gave you, and put that ip and the remote desktop port number into the remote desktop client at work.

Code:
    ip:port
    or for example
    xprodancer.ath.cx:3389
    EDIT:..
    [​IMG]

Job done.

Last edited: 2 Oct 2009
  7. xprodancer

i will give it a try tonight!!!! will let you know!!!!

8. adam_bagpuss

adam_bagpuss Have you tried turning it off/on ?

or use logmein FREE

i do and its very nice. no port forwarding needed access your PC from any desktop just by logging into your logmein account.

can add as many PCs as you want.

9. damienVC

damienVC What's a Dremel?

Likewise you could try Live Mesh. Very easy to use, enables shared folders and complete remote control. It's still in beta, and has one or two minor bugs to fix (like being able to disable it on startup, so nothing major) but is very good.

10. xprodancer

ok i have tried and failed also setup logmein and it would not not show my computer! am i having so much trouble because the work computers are win98!! I KNOW THERE ****!!!!

11. xprodancer

also tried to ping my isp router and it timed out! 100% fail ??????

12. xprodancer

might try and borrow me sisters laptop and give it another try on my work network! see if that makes any difference!

its vista basic but has remote desktop installed!!!

13. Delphium

Learn to use the edit button. :duh:

14. xprodancer

i know im bad for it!!!! realy should sort it out! lol :naughty:

15. damienVC

damienVC What's a Dremel?

Have a look at Live Mesh - the fact your work PCs are on 98 won't matter as it's web based. You only need a software installation on the PC you're trying to access.

16. drnde

drnde What's a Dremel?

You could try TeamViewer, it's desktop based and doesn't have limitiations like for example logmein free, installation is optional, oh and did i mention that it's free? I use it all the time :thumb:

17. xprodancer

i have installed it and now goin to give it a try at work! i could log into it at work so hopefully i can get to my desktop now!!!

live mesh opens but i get a nice red X in the top of the screen! this is becoming a joke now!!!!!

Last edited: 6 Oct 2009
  18. B3CK

B3CK Minimodder

I use teamviewer and logmein, at my work, I like teamviewer's performance better. I've never tried using the remote control from a 98 machine though. I do know that there are some issues with remote desktop and security settings on vista that make that hassle to setup, and leaves your home system open to more things, by allowing an older system to access your new system.

19. ultraelf

ultraelf What's a Dremel?

You could try Remote Office Manager