1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress DrBo's Dragon

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by drbo, 30 Sep 2009.

1. drbo

drbo What's a Dremel?

Well I did the same first time I mounted my cuplex Xt di. Didnt find the print ...

It happens to me all the time, althoug my optics are pretty new

drbo :cooldude:

2. drbo

drbo What's a Dremel?

More work done yesterday evening.

First I equipped my Aquaero with both the new plexiglass cover for display to make the front flat and better looking.

[​IMG]

Then I fitted the "powerbooster" in order to enhance the output from 30W to 45W.

[​IMG]

The front cover of the multiswitch, is a mod I did for my previous build, using a black front plate from Aquadrive, as AC doesnt make frontplates for Multiswich in black ...

[​IMG]

Then I mounted the aquaero and the multiswitch (a lot of hidden cables), and the dualdrive.

[​IMG]

Finally, I did a little work on the mobo, fitting the watercoolers. This was supposed to be straigt forward, but I needed to to mod the bezel of the Twinplex a little to make it fit the NB.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: 3 Oct 2009
  3. Caliber

Caliber Minimodder

Looking good DrBo, cant wait to see the whole system assembled!

4. razerz

razerz What's a Dremel?

The build is looking great so far, can't wait to see more.
    One question though: Is the only difference between the Laing DDC-1T and the Plus model that jumper you soldered on? Do you think this would work on this pump too? (The reason I ask is that I am looking for components for a build myself, and if that is as easy as you made it look I could save between €10-20.)

5. drbo

drbo What's a Dremel?

Thanks!

I dont really know, althoug I also have a Swiftech DDC-Plus pump in my secon rig. This rig is going to be refurbished in an week or so, I can see if they look the same. But to my understanding this is excactly the same pumps, different branding. But the mod only works on the new type with blue impeller ... just in case you where going for a second hand pump.

As far as the mod goes, I picked it up from this article: http://forum.effizienzgurus.de/f23/howto-laing-pro-zur-ultra-umloeten-t1106.html Look for english version at the bottom!

6. razerz

razerz What's a Dremel?

Thanks for the link. Very interesting information. Gonna have a look around for more info about this.
    Good luck with your case!

7. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

Ah! I was wondering if they left a spot for a waterblock on that board's NB. :thumb:
    I like how you are putting this rig together.:D Watercooling the controller is awesome.

8. drbo

drbo What's a Dremel?

Thanks ...

Asus has kept quiet of the possibility of removing the NB ...

Ill try my best to keep up performances.

9. drbo

drbo What's a Dremel?

Further progress yesterday evening.

First watercooling the GPUs ...

[​IMG]

A look inside the cooler, before maounting the CF-kit.

[​IMG]

The two GPUs ready for mounting ... the CF variant at the bottom

[​IMG]

I then mounted the GPUs, and complete the water loop. A Ioop I am quite pleased with ... as it looks very efficient with reguard to tubing. It is by design, a "two-in-one loop"sharing tank and pump.

[​IMG]

The waterflow:

Aquatube > Dualpump >2x RamPlex > CPU > NB > DualRAd > SingleRad >2x GPU > Poweradjust1 > FlowMeter > Poweradjust2 > DualDrive > Trippelrad > Aquatube

Then its just to put in the PSU and cable management left ...

Last edited: 4 Oct 2009
  10. stonedsurd

stonedsurd Is a cackling Yuletide Belgian

I see a lot of 90degree fittings. Potential flow killers?

11. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

agree'd, but twin pumps modded to 18w, should give enough head.

12. stonedsurd

stonedsurd Is a cackling Yuletide Belgian

That's sort of what I'm trying to say :p
    When you have the capability of kicking out ridiculous amounts of water, why waste it?

13. drbo

drbo What's a Dremel?

Yes and No! They kill a little of the flow, but more than half of them is unavoidable do to the space. Anyway, the components I use, does also function very vell at low flow. By choosing Ac of i.e. Swiftech, you dont really need very high flow ...

Anyway, this setup should give fairly high flow, that is I am expecting over 110 L/h, or aprox 2L/min. This setup should keep temp in the waterloop around 30C (ambient + ca 5C), with an OCed system at full load (aiming at 3,8-4GHz 24/7), given my previous experience ...

But then again, I am a firm believer of a balanced system, and has never really experienced a very dramatic increase in performance varience with flow in the flowrange I am operating.

14. Nic01

Nic01 dark cloud

looking good mate, nice mod on the Aquaero :D

15. drbo

drbo What's a Dremel?

Thanks Nico, yes the aquaero mod nice, but is really simple as Ac makes all the parts ...

16. Top Nurse

Top Nurse Minimodder

I got one of these covers about six months ago, but I couldn't get it to fit after changing around all the stand-offs. How easy is it to fit with the stock hardware?

17. drbo

drbo What's a Dremel?

With stock hardware, it is very easy. I have fitted both my aquareos with this plexiglas covers, and both fitted very well.

18. drbo

drbo What's a Dremel?

Filled and leak tested yeaterday evening.

First i filled the loop with the new coolant from AC. 1,6 liter all together ...

[​IMG]

Using my own patent ... that is a small tube over the aquajet, use the aqutube as fill port, and then suck the cooler through the loop. Works like a charm every time.

[​IMG]

Then it was time to testrun the loop, using the usual sofisticated "norwegian" multitool "binders" (Paperclip, a Norwegian invetion ...)

[​IMG]

Then this morning it was time to install the OS. I am using a temporary PSU, OCZ ModExtreme 700W. Temp because it doesn really have enought connections, although strong eneugh for running at stock. OCin has to wait for a better PSU. I am installing Win 7 64x RTM.

[​IMG]

A lot of trouble using the onboard raid controller. It really sucks on this board, AMD really has to work on it. I ended up using a Promice 2x PCI raid controller that was laying arond, then it worked. Then using winid 7 software raid for the two aother drives ...

As for the flow, the rig does 112 L/h, keeping the temp at below 30C in the water ...

Finnishing of the cable management at lighting, has to waith untill a permanent PSU is in place ...

Last edited: 5 Oct 2009
  19. Top Nurse

Top Nurse Minimodder

Is there still room to insert a color filter between the plexi and the display?

Also what is the pre-mixed AC fluid? Is it the old AC Fluid pre-mixed or some other concoction?

20. drbo

drbo What's a Dremel?

There should be room for a color filter, or a washer should do the trick :D

Its something new. NOT a re-wrap of AC-fluid (is so - i would never touch it!). A lot more info in German than English, but the short story is that is is easier to produce it in a controlled environment, to achive the desired results ... therefore ready mixed bottles (and of course easier to make profit out of ...). I quote from AC:

Hope this was helpful ...

Last edited: 5 Oct 2009