1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Partitioning (Linux)

Discussion in 'Software' started by Fowler, 6 Dec 2002.

1. Fowler

Fowler mmm Cosworth

Ok complete N00b, I wanna know how to partition my HDD so that I can put Madrake Linux on as well as XP, Any guides or advice I would find useful, thankyou thankyou..........

:worried:

2. Adam

Adam Minimodder

The mandrake 9.0 install is IMO more user friendly than the XP install and should sort everything for you. Try to make a backup first thought just in case the worst happens.

3. ReversaL

ReversaL What's a Dremel?

right, you can either create your partition from windows (fdisk, partition magic etc) or it can be done within the Mandrake install.. tis very easy. Mandrake will use an ext3 fileystem, if you are using partition magic create an ext2 and then formart it to ext3 in the install. Once it is installed you will need to install a boot loader wich will write the master boot record of your primary drive, there is a wizard for this in the mandrake install so dont worry. Its all very easy stuff :)

4. Fowler

Fowler mmm Cosworth

ok one problem , mandrake 9 came on DVD, so either my system wont boot from DVD or its not set too, guess this is done in the Bios but were before I go change anything? if not is there a way I can create a set of floppys?

:waah:

5. Adam

Adam Minimodder

In all my years of being a nerd I've never actually tried booting from a DVD :confused: There should be a program on the DVD though for making boot disks. It's called RaWrite IIRC, and you just use that to copy the boot floppy images which are in a separate folder onto a blank floppy. Boot from that and it should pick up your DVD no problem.

Hopefully someone will jump in though and tell you decisively whether or not you can boot from the DVD itself (I'm inclined to believe you can).

6. kong

kong cnc-guy

I'm guessing you just set the BIOS to boot from CD? Let us know!

7. Kargin

Kargin Overdose . . .

If your BIOS is set to boot from CD devices, in the boot sequence, it shoul dboot from your DVD.

Unless the Mandrake 9 DVD isnt bootable :idea: did they get lazy? :worried:

Also since your a complete n00b you say, Linux handles HDDs quite differently form Windows.

Whiel I don't have experience with Mandrake, I've heard it's really easy, so it shouldn't be a problem.

8. bushd

bushd What's a Dremel?

Well, there used to be a program that was made for windows, that would allow a dual boot setup. I cannot remember its name, because it has been a while, but I can say the company made it well. However, I must warn you against a dual boot, I have had bad experiences with them in the past, multiple times. My main rig runs Windows XP, games, we all love them, and I post this from the fresh install of redhat 8.0 on a laptop. Redhat install was smoother then XP install to me, and I would, for a beginner say use Redhat, it is the best to learn on. Used to be mandrake, untill they pulled away from improving on Redhat distro.

Tags: