1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Notebooks Best Laptop Manufacturer??

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by gtiboy, 29 Sep 2009.

1. gtiboy

gtiboy Minimodder

What is the best laptop manufacturer out there? I heard Acer, Dell & HP are not very good build quality wise?

I hear IBM make the best laptops around? is this true?

Can anyone recommend a well built, reliable laptop with a budget of upto £600.

2. hirezo

hirezo Minimodder

for gaming or just everyday use?

3. smc8788

smc8788 Multimodder

If by IBM you mean Lenovo, then yes, although they're more oriented towards the business market AFAIK.

Acer, Dell and HP are all pretty much the same in terms of build quality in my experience (with Dells perhaps being a bit better now I think about it). Having said that, you'll probably get the best specs for £600 from an Acer, as they're the most competitively priced, so it depends how much you value build quality.

4. mrbungle

mrbungle Undercooked chicken giver

Dell are pretty decent build quality wise.

Low end Acer and HP units are pretty cack tbh tho other models aint so bad.

5. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

HP, Acer are the worst.

Dell is descent.
    Dell high end business is similar quality as the high-end of Lenovo. You can order over Dell Small Buisness via phone and negociate a nice deal :D (well it depends on Dell, sales rep, and your region). Latitude E is best Dell makes. In fact it's soo good that Dell provides minimum a 3 year warranty.. you can't go lower... just up. :D So you know the internal system won't screw you up for at least 3 years for sure. And Next Buisness On Site service allows you to always keep the system with you, and get it fixed the next business day, and in front of you insuring that the job is done correctly. Anything the technician brakes or scratch is covered. And the technician is not from Dell, but rather a contract firm that offer such services to companies. I am sure if you call you get it for free. If you are in Canada, then Dell already gives it for free. Anyway, the Latitude E series is like the MacBook Pro in terms of features.

IBM doesn't make laptops... it's Lenovo.

6. tk421

tk421 Idiot.

steer away from the e5400's until Dell sorts out the screen power issues. i'm not sure you can even get one right now - we have had over 30 on order for over a month, and ended up getting 6400's instead.

5400 = plastic poo. 6400 = aluminum goodness.

i built up a e4300 for our CEO - and now i want one. 13" led screen, extended battery + 160gb ssd = 6+ hours uptime ... and it's just a hair over 4 lb.

7. GoodBytes

In Canada the E5400 full equipment is a few dollars under the 6400 fully equipped with the Nvidia solution. So the E6400 is a better buy.. well I didn't check TODAY, last I check was a few months ago.

8. gtiboy

gtiboy Minimodder

well I will mainly use the latop for multimedia purposes, like watching films and listening to music.

I had a demo of the new Toshiba Satellite L500-11N

http://www.johnlewis.com/230644998/Product.aspx

Great laptop for the price, but the sound quality of the built in speakers wasn't very good, sounded very tinny, compared to a HP laptop that I had which sounded great before it went faulty.

Can anyone recommend a laptop thats great for multimedia use with good sounding speakers? The only laptop I can think of which is in the same budget is another Toshiba -

Toshiba Satellite A500 which features Harman Kardon speakers. Anyone else with experience of a good sounding laptop?

9. bagman

bagman Minimodder

i find dell rubish all my friends dell laptops have broken within a year of them all owning one

i much prefer sony vaio's and a company called rizeon all there laptops are out of your price range just but they are all really good quality

10. GoodBytes

If you find ANY laptop with descent speakers, that means your standard in sound is extremely low. General rule is smaller the system, smaller the speakers, and less base you will have.
    Use headphones or speakers. Some sound cards has SRS, menaing you can try to boost some bass to compensate for the problem... but of course laptop speakers (no exception) are crappy and still be crappy.

Harman Kardon, JBL, or any other brand on laptop's as speakers, are just as bad as a generic one to the same extend. It's just marketing. Using headphone speakers as speakers won't be better from one brand to another. Ok FINE, it might 5-10% better, but it's still junk. You want sound? Get a sound card for your laptop, and get speakers.

uhun. Riiight... Laptop don't work under water :lol: j/k

Yea Sony laptop are the best. Every time they break you have to send it to them.. wait 2-3 weeks to get it repaired, instead of having a technician coming over to fix your system the next business day at your place at the time you want, ensuring you always have the system in hand like.... Dell... oh wait.. I thought it sucked...hmmm... especially that mine came with a 3 year warranty minimum, and supported any system under recall in or out of warranty, and you can get great discount by negotiating over the phone upon order... hmmm... interesting.

11. mk-donald

mk-donald bits and bobs

I managed to get, 15m ago, what had been one of the mid/high end Acer's at a great price (ie half what it had been a few months earlier) because it was the HD-DVD model after that format was dumped. I was also able to pick up a 3yr Acer warranty on it with case/mouse for £50 = bargain. Have nothing but good things to say about my Acer. The sound quality in particular is excellent. To me it is down to looking at your needs/wants (core+desirable) and budget and then assessing the pros/cons of models from global brands that fall out from the price comparison sites.

12. bagman

bagman Minimodder

well my sony vaio's don't break and my friends had to go in to pc world and give it to the tech guys and they took a week to fix before they got it back

and good bytes not all laptop speakers are crapy the ones on the toshiba G40 are very good sound quailty just don't play very load but it is great for watching movies

13. GoodBytes

I am sorry, but a 16-19 inch monstrosity is not what I call a laptop. More like a portable desktop. Laptops are supposed to be portable.. like you carry is everyday long distance without any issue. I have yet to see one person that tells me that 15inch is already stretching it and should be considered the limit as a system you can carry with you everywhere.

16 > inch is for desktop replacement system, not a laptop.

Working at the retail store, I can promise you that all laptops between HP, Sony and Dell, breaks evenly. The one that break the most are Acer's but the new Acer seams to be more solid.

The higher Dell system are in quality/price, the better they are, which is a problem with Dell. As they market both very low end (i.e: Inspiron series) and very high end (ie: Latitude E series, where every system is tested before shipping and comes with absolutely no crap-ware (but costs close the same price as an Apple MacBookPro computer (the laptop has similar features, such as backlit keyboard, metal base and lid, etc..)) at the same time.

Sony and HP's system takes forever to repair due to hard accessibility of parts. Also, upon order of parts Sony takes ages to send them. And within the first year of warranty (meaning with Sony) Sony ships everything with ground, taking 5-6 days for them to get it, and returned it the same way.

So I don't know how your friend laptop got it fixed within the same say. I think it was more a softare problem than a hardware, or simple as bad memory.

14. Mechh69

Mechh69 I think we can make that fit

I had a sony vaio and it was totally CRAP!!!!! I had to send it back 4 yes 4 times the first year becuase the optical drive kept going bad(if they even changed the optical drive) after the first year it was sent back another 3 times for the same problem :wallbash:. Towards the end of the warrenty 3 years the CPU cooler started making an awful noise and Sony didnt want to replace it. So in my experience the sony vio is a Piece of SH!T. I will never buy another Sony VAIO Again. I would also stear everyone i know away from them also. I have a dell Inspiron E1705 that i custom orderd and have never had a days problem out of it.

15. Sh0cKeR

Sh0cKeR a=2(s-ut)/t²

Either an Acer 6930g or 6935g can be found for that price range with a more than capable spec. T6400 + 4gb DDR3 + 9600m gt gddr3.

16. GoodBytes

Yes if you don't like any service of any kind, Acer is the way to go. Do they even have a a customer service and tech-support department?

17. Sh0cKeR

Sh0cKeR a=2(s-ut)/t²

Well they obviously do, what company could get away with offering a win 7 return to base upgrade without a customer service department. Hard proof rather than opinionated statements is what you want inorder to make decisions on these companies. Spec wise you can't fault they're laptops versus Sony, Samsung etc. No I don't work for Acer either :)

18. Sheiken

Sheiken Wat?

Apple and Asus :)

19. Edge102030

Edge102030 Son, i am disappoint.

20. Cupboard

Cupboard I'm not a modder.

I like my Samsung if that's anything to you and two of my friends also have them and have good experiences with them.

All pretty cheap for what they were.