1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress ANGEL - Lian-li PC-A05N Mod

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Pazu, 28 Sep 2009.

1. tranc3

tranc3 ADHD Modder

looking good, i like the style of the cuts, the angles slots and stuff. did something similar on my gigabyte case, nothing this nice tho.

2. Sphering

Sphering What's a Dremel?

Old school tool... is cool.

3. Pazu

Pazu What's a Dremel?

I got 5 STARS!!!

I'm quite excited at the end result myself too. :D

Hey thanks man!

Break out the hand tools! Having all the machines that do the job for you is always cool. But then not all of us can afford CNC lathes and mills. So this is really the next best thing.

Thanks guys.

Ya I'm trying to keep to a general theme here.

I really want to thank everyone for their support and giving me all the stars.:D

It's really encouraging, especially for a first timer like me. Big THANK YOU!:clap:

4. logan'srun

logan'srun following the footsteps of giants

how are you getting such nice bends? Pic please!

5. The_Gnu

The_Gnu 8-bit addict

Heey... STOP...you should seriously wear some gloves. From what I know, It can even bee dangerous to get those carbon fiber splinters in the hands.

The reason for this is: When you get splinters from other materials like wood, glass, metall etc, that is foreign to the body, it encapsules the material and prevent it from mowing around in the body. But when you get carbon fiber splinters, the body doesn't encapsule those splinters since carbon is not foreign to the body. Therefore carbonfibre splinters will not stay in the same place but travel around in your body and eventually end up in the blood. Once in the blood, they can clog up the brain and I guess you can figure out the rest by yourself.

I was told this in person by my Materialscience teacher who is a polymer and composite scientist. He told us to NEVER EVER touch a breakage surface of carbon fiber. I'm quite confident that it's a reliable source...however im not the scientist, im only passing along the information so there might be things to add or remove, if you know of any, feel free to let me know and I'll edit this. I'will btw send my teacher a mail for some further information about this topic.

My intention is to inform, not to scare, since I don't think there is too much knowledge about the handling of carbon fibre in the modding community. So be carefull and wear gloves and breathing mask.

About the project. Very nice cuts you got there, I will follow this for shure.
    That mekanikal wing is nice.. looks to me like an offspring of a meeting between the detroit red wings and philadelphia flyers.

6. Pazu

Pazu What's a Dremel?

Hey thanks for the very important advice. You can see from the picture above, I did wear gloves after the first piece (there were 4). While looking harmless like black powder, the CF dust really stings the skin.

I didn't know it can enter the bloodstream. Hope this advice goes out to all fellow modders too. Glad to say that I won't be working with CF for now.

Thanks!

7. Top Nurse

Top Nurse Minimodder

I love individual and original work on beautifying computers. Have some stars. :thumb:

8. The_Gnu

The_Gnu 8-bit addict

Np..Yeah thats one of the bad things about carbon fibre... you can't really see the splinters. Nice to hear you wear gloves for the rest of the part and lets hope everybody else does too.

God luck with the build.

9. bsoltan

bsoltan What's a Dremel?

Excellent build so far, looking forward to more. I recently picked this case up as I really like it's design and I've been slowly gathering ideas for mods and builds.

Good luck with the rest.

10. Pazu

Pazu What's a Dremel?

Exterior done. End of part 1.

Thanks dude! Really means a lot to me, I admire your work very much. :)

Thanks guys! :)

Sorry for the lack of updates. Been busy work other things and took a while to rebuild the PC too.

Getting closer to the finish line.

Previously, we were left with parting shots of the parts going to the powder coaters. It's back! Matt black is cool. :D
    [​IMG]

Dismantling the old rig and facing the inevitable gunk buildup over the years...

*WARNING* Uncomfortable pictures ahead *WARNING*

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Because of the above. This time round, I'm putting on filters.

Customising the filter cover because these does not fit together on the 2x120 rad. Basically trimming down an edge.
    [​IMG]

Mounting the filter on the rad.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Can't help but quickly put it together to see how it looks.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hm... Looks a little bland... Even the wife said so...

Adding some blink with some racing stripes! Using Tamiya's polycarbonate paint. From my experience, this paint is very tough and should work well on the case.
    [​IMG]

Trying out the design. This looks a little weird. The logo's asymmetry is ruining the look.
    [​IMG]

Redoing it with the stripes on the side, this looks better.
    [​IMG]

I need some finger guard for the top vent too. Decided on using some brass mesh to match the gold paint. :D
    [​IMG]

Finally, it's done. Enjoy the pictures!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This marks the end of the exterior build (part 1). Here's some teaser pictures for the next installment. Watch out for part 2! :p
    [​IMG]

JaccoW, The boy 4rm oz and stonedsurd like this.
  11. bagman

bagman Minimodder

now that is very nicely done

12. stonedsurd

stonedsurd Is a cackling Yuletide Belgian

Amazing work. Might you consider adding a grill or something to the top of the rad? Looks sort of bare just lying there like that. :p

13. jokkos

jokkos too busy to mod *sigh*

exterior looks top :thumb:

14. The boy 4rm oz

The boy 4rm oz Project: Elegant-Li

The top rad bracket looks awesome, one of the best externally mounted rads I have ever seen, really nice work. The entire exterior looks amazing, the gold stripes go very very well with the black exterior. +rep

One thing I would have personally changed though is how the hoses from the rad enter the case. I would have used 2 of the Koolance pass-through connectors with 45 degree fittings attached, would have looked a bit neater then the right angle fittings. Just my 2 cents :D.

15. kureshii

kureshii What's a Dremel?

Lovely work, can't wait for part 2 :D

16. Reverse

Reverse Reverse/srvR

Nice job on the paint job and gold-colored plexi!

17. Jack_Pepsi

Jack_Pepsi Clan BeeR Founder

Freaking awesome mod!

:D

18. Reverse

Reverse Reverse/srvR

Post some pics of the inside of the case please =)

19. jegerjon

jegerjon What's a Dremel?

Exelent paintjob!! Very nice mod.

20. sentek

sentek What's a Dremel?

nice!
    those stripes look very professional, i like the way they are to one side of the center line :hip:
    :rock: