1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Activision didn't want Modern Warfare

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 7 Oct 2009.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

Last edited: 7 Oct 2009
  2. Yemerich

Yemerich I can has PERSUADETRON?

"War... War never changes"

But when money is in the way everything else change!

3. riggs

riggs ^_^

Am I the only person who doesn't like CoD? I tried playing CoD2 on PC once, got maybe 4 or 5 missions in and just stopped playing. Not sure why, but I thought there was something fundamentally wrong that I didn't like, although I could never put my finger on what exactly.

Years later I attempted MW and again only got halfway through the first mission before returning it. Yeah ok, so I died twice...in the first 5 minutes...on normal difficulty. To be fair though I was playing on a console, so it's probably just me being crap (and pads are NOT designed for FPS games!). But then, I've played CoD5 (start to finish), Killzone2, QoS and other FPS on my PS3 with no control problems :confused:

I dunno, CoD5 was ok I guess, but then Infinity Ward didn't make that one. I mean, MW2 does look awesome, but I'll probably only rent it (I'd rather save my pennies for Uncharted 2, Brutal Legend, Borderlands, Bayonetta...day one purchased imo).

Anyone know if they've abandoned the stupid 'infinite enemies till you hit a checkpoint' style AI that they always seem to use?
    I ****ing hate that!

4. Horizon

Horizon Dremel Worthy

I see it differently. I don't think a modern warfare in 2005 would have been anywhere near the quality of that in 2007.

5. Singularity

Singularity ******* Operator from Hell

Another proof that most companies are run by blind monkeys with no idea of innovation...

6. Lepermessiah

Lepermessiah What's a Dremel?

U are not along, I think the games are rubbish, to be honest, playing Stalker:Call of pripyat (With english mod, will but once released) makes cod games seem arcahic.

7. SteveU

SteveU Minimodder

You may not be the only one but I'd certainly say you're in the minority. I've played all of the CoD games and the Infinity Ward games are definitely the better ones (2,4&6).

As far as infinite enemies until the next check point goes, no CoD game does that so not sure where you got that from.

8. javaman

javaman May irritate Eyes

To be fair I think timing played a huge part in it. COD3 wasn't my fave in the series and by then WW2 games just got boring. You had Medal of honor which really sucked after the 1st game. COD4 was a breath of fresh air. It also was released on Xbox360/PS3 which meant better graphics etc which I think made a huge difference. With Tom Clancy milking modern warfare there was always a chance of the game ending up like another rainbow 6 or something but they got the balance between singleplayer and multiplayer perfect.

9. Bauul

Bauul Sir Bongaminge

Lol, it's not often you hear of a publisher pushing a dev to stay PC as opposed to the other way around.

COD2 was, in my opinion, the best of the series (MW is good, but is just too short), so I'm very happy Activision made them make it.

10. Lepermessiah

COD 4 a breath of fresh air? It was exactly the same as all the other COD games, just different setting, thats it, low standards today.

11. opal

opal Eh?

Pretty sure the last two did. I definately know in MW enemies would not stop comming until you hit an invisible check point and it would move onto the next section.

12. Lepermessiah

Umm, yes, they All have that endless spawnign enemies and trigger points, these games are ridiculously linear and poorly designed, the only way to make the game intense is throw trigegr points and funnel the action, and throw spaning ebemies at you. Very poor, but thats what joe blow gamer wants these days.

13. SteveU

SteveU Minimodder

Umm, no they don't. I've sat at many a point throughout all of the games shooting enemy after enemy until they stop coming. You just need some patience and enough ammo!

Try it if you don't believe me.

14. Horizon

Horizon Dremel Worthy

especially the sniper lvl where you had to wait for the helo, the harder you fought the sooner you were overwhelmed.

15. airchie

airchie What's a Dremel?

;)

16. Lepermessiah

Umm, yes, it did, there are sections in the game if u just ran to a certain point, enemies stop coming, it's lasy and moronic design. COD represents everything that is wrong with big name titles, hype, and publisher pressure in todays development environment.

17. rpsgc

rpsgc Minimodder

Who would've thought eh?

18. Bauul

Bauul Sir Bongaminge

Sorry, but COD is famous for its unending enemies mechanic. It's how the whole game is based. One of the big things about MW2 is IW have developed a new system of Dynamic AI which replaces the respawn system. The idea is enemies work to drive you forwards instead of you driving them back.

See here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Modern_Warfare_2#Game_engine

19. hexx

hexx What's a Dremel?

infinity's CoDs are much better, 2 and 4 although to be honest i haven't played single player on CoD4 :) only multiplayer. But i finished CoD2 few times and CoD3 i played only for few hours, didn't like it.

20. licenced

licenced What's a Dremel?

OK so the spawning may not be "infinite" but there are a lot, and as soon as you hit that trigger point they stop

Tags: Add Tags