1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress "The NOTalis Project" by E.E.L. Ambiense & Mnpctech...."Snow storm halts install!"

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by mnpctech, 7 Oct 2009.

1. Pazu

Pazu What's a Dremel?

Holy Billet Aluminum!:jawdrop: Can never get sick of CNC action on aluminum.

Subscribed!

2. forester joe

forester joe shhh. can you hear your PC?

that's pretty impressive. not that anything less can be expected...
    I'm hooked.

3. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

Man! Do you ever sleep?:hehe:
    That bezel is awesome. Since EEL is involved, can we expect some plexiglas action?:D
    I'm guessing internals will be clean and ornate, but the outside gets crusty. I'm also guessing there will be a curved set of top and bottom covers that complete the clam shelled Nautilus look. (Maybe I should say hope instead.)

4. razerz

razerz What's a Dremel?

That is one beautiful piece of aluminum!

5. jhanlon303

jhanlon303 The Keeper of History

AND rivets!

[​IMG]

6. Bullitdodger

Bullitdodger If it ain't broke....Tweak it.

7. E.E.L. Ambiense

E.E.L. Ambiense Acrylic Heretic

Hahaha! You guys are hilarious, lol.

Yes, the bezel was from 3/4" aluminum. As Bill stated, the elements of the design were given to him right before I got there, and they pulled a rabbit out of a hat on it. It came out awesome. I was stoked!

I will stress that we really didn't have much time at all considering the short amount I was there and the majority of time we spent away from the modshop just spending time together and collating, enjoying the killer sights, the killer foodstuffs, or from what I can recall, the killer brews. :hehe: Bill's a hell of a host too!

For better or worse, the project is getting posted. You'll all see in due course!

8. mnpctech

mnpctech bit-tech sponsor

You guys all rawk!

E.E.L. and I spent a majority of our time outside of the shop. On Sunday we did an impromptu podcast with Kyle from the mod brothers, hung out with guests Foamy and Tec_ and did a lot of experimenting with the Sophisticated Finishes.

@ cheaps, sleep? lol.. all the running around and bad weather caught up to me Monday. I came down with a nasty head cold. It finally cleared up today tho.

The 240 size Steampunk acrylic radiator grill is a good fit for the SG05. Keep in mind the SG05 has a one piece cover. You will have to modify the rear chassis pillar to clear the grill's mounting screws. This mirror finish won't exist much longer..heh

[​IMG]

The SG05's rear slot covers and Mnpctech
    80mm "Gear" style acrylic fan grill were getting their first application of Duplicolor brand automotive sandable primer. The Brown primer is a great base coat color for the rust effect we applied later on.

[​IMG]

9. Stormeren

Stormeren What's a Dremel?

That intake is very nice

10. E.E.L. Ambiense

I don't see how Bill did it. Modding all bloody night. During the workweek he has fatherly duties to handle as well, like waking up at the crack of dawn to see the kiddies off to school. Me? I just hung at the hotel waiting for the call like Ghostbusters or something. :hehe:

Anyways...

Hey, everyone! E.E.L. Ambiense here with a post for the worklog. You'll see both Bill and myself dropping stuff in here, so ignore the slightly different formatting, etc. Think of it as two sides of the same coin. Or in this instance, a case. ;)

On to the update.

Here's a candid shot of Bill deciding whether the grill's a go or not on the side of the outer-housing for the chassis. It wasn't at first, but it's Bill we're talking about. He MADE it fit. :D

[​IMG]

As Bill was working on the side grill, I began work on the little PSU that comes stock with the case. It's from FSP, and it's apparently a sufficient PSU for what it's intended for. Personally, I'd go hardcore and drop in a larger PSU, but in the interests of (short) time and lack of care, we decided to keep this one anyways. :lol:

I began by backing all the little screws out of the housing on the PSU and carefully slipping the cover off.

[​IMG]

I really didn't need to worry about draining the caps on the PSU of residual charge because it hadn't been powered up (that I know of). It's a good idea to do that anyways, so you don't end of glowing in the dark from getting zapped. Anyone recall Yahoo Serious? Yeah, hair like that. :lol:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It's so cool looking inside these things. I'm weird; I know. ;)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And in preparation of the upcoming paintjob on the PSU, I needed to remove the warranty sticker, etc. from the housing. ...Warranty.... BAH!

[​IMG]

Sit tight for more!

11. stonedsurd

stonedsurd Is a cackling Yuletide Belgian

Noooooooooooooooooooo! Don't leave us hanging like that :(

12. Pashtet

Pashtet MonstaMods

Give us more pictures of the process!

13. Dave Lister

Dave Lister Minimodder

Subscribed - hell yeah !

14. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

OK, Dude. I just saw the Case Mod Blog video. I'm not sure why I didn't realize that someone from Florida would look like a surfer.:hehe: Seriously, get a haircut you hippy.:D I haven't had hair that long for at least a year.

15. E.E.L. Ambiense

LOL. That's funny because I'm so far from a surfer that it makes it even more hilarious!

16. jhanlon303

jhanlon303 The Keeper of History

Damn I had way more hair than that in the 60s and 70s and a ton more facial fungus. Think ZZ Top crossed with Leon Russel( Marilyn says Dumbledore). Always been white - the proper color for hair and beard.

The "Ceilings are over rated E.E.L. becomes visible.

[​IMG]

17. stonedsurd

Where is this video that Cheapskate is talking about?

18. E.E.L. Ambiense

LOL! That's not me! That's some unshaven hippy impersonating me, dammit! :hehe:

This one?

Casemodblog.com as well.

19. stonedsurd

Haha, the hair is FINE.
    But you need to clip those fingernails :p

20. E.E.L. Ambiense

Augh. god....is that stuff going to start again? *facepalm*

It's on purpose. It's part of being a screenprinter. I cannot remove tape without them!

Well...also, Halloween is coming up soon, and I love to be authentic when I scare the neighborhood kiddies.... :D