1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What CPU block do you guys use on your i7's running the bigadv's?

Discussion in 'bit-tech Folding Team' started by Unicorn, 9 Oct 2009.

1. Unicorn

Unicorn Uniform November India

Just wondering what CPU blocks those of you with i7's that are watercooled or the ones who are running bigadv WUs on them use? As many of you will know I've acquired a P6T Deluxe and an i7 920 from Clive that I am going to be building into my first bigadv rig. The case that it's going in is locked and loaded with enough water cooling gear to cool a couple of xeons and several blocks, so I may as well put it to good use on the i7 when it gets here. Thanks in advance :)

2. JackOfAll

JackOfAll What's a Dremel?

There's so little in it temp wise (a few degrees) that these days choice can be based on other factors, like price, whether the threaded inlet/outlet are placed far enough apart that you can use compression fittings and cosmetic considerations. You can't really go wrong whatever you choose. The HeatKiller and Koolance blocks look sexy in different ways as well as being the best as far as i7 temps are concerned. The Swiftech GTZ is a good all-round choice, and if price is a consideration, the D-Tek Fuzion V2 or EK.

The new Swiftech XT has looks to die for too. The switchable top plate means it can accommodate compression fittings and the numbers I've seen posted put it at the top of the tree with regard to temps. Probably not in stock at any of the UK web shops yet, though.

Last edited: 9 Oct 2009
  3. Lizard

Lizard @ Scan R&D

It's not in stock at any of the UK shops yet no, but it will be in stock in the CPC/bit-tech lab as of Monday morning :)

4. JackOfAll

Send it to me and I'll review it for you. No need to get your hands wet! LOL.

5. Unicorn

Lol thanks guys. Send it to me. It's for a good cause :worried: Million month and all that :hehe:

6. Unicorn

By the way Clive, could you possibly get me up and running with bigadv units by the end of next week on that i7 rig if I get it built by then? There has just been a power cut here this evening and with all the other problems that I've been having lately like the switch burning out, having to move my rigs etc, I need a fortnight's worth of 50K every 2 or 3 days to make my million.

Can it be done? Can you teach a Linux newb how to fold like the pros? ;)

Last edited: 9 Oct 2009
  7. JackOfAll

On the basis that I can teach clumsy, cross-eyed, Russian house wives who don't speak much English how to wield a soldering iron like the best of them...... Linux, you, folding.... A 10 min job! ;)

It'll have to be in private though. I'm on the dark-side, shaking my pom-poms for the other faction. :D

8. saspro

saspro IT monkey

Uni, you can do it on air if you're on a budget.
    If you need a hand setting up bigadv's and Clive's busy let me know & I'll get you setup.

9. DocJonz

DocJonz Another CPC refugee .....

Guys, what speed to you need to clock a dedicated i7 920 to in order that it doesn't fall short of the bigadv WU deadlines??

10. saspro

saspro IT monkey

I run at 4GHz and finish in less than 2 days 5 hours

11. coolamasta

coolamasta Folding@Home CC Captain 2010/11/12

Im using a Swiftech GTZ, very good blocks mate :)

Also my WC'd i7 920 @ 3.8ghz is doing a frame every 31 mins.
    Just looked on FahMon and it downloaded 1d 6h 25m ago and ETA is 22h 10m which suggests im doing them in around 2 days 4 hours :D

12. Unicorn

I sort of am on a budget, because I'm gonna have the racking hardware to pay for shortly. It's just that the case I have for the i7 rig is fully fitted with rads etc for a water cooled setup.  I may have to do it on air for now anyway, because with everything that has happened during million month I need this rig running ASAP.  The power hasn't stayed on at the house where the folding machines are overnight, which is really annoying and is unacceptable service from NIE considering it happened during a heavy shower of rain. I'd hate to see them try to repair a fault after a proper storm. The i7 rig may pull me out of a hole if it is built in time but I'll need to build it with a HSF rather than a water loop for now to get it done quickly.  

13. coolamasta

Yeah fair enough mate :) Hmmm I 'may' have a titan fenrir HSF & fan going this week all packaged as new if your interested? If so I will let you know about mid-week ;)

14. JackOfAll

If that's available and Matt doesn't take it, it's mine! ;)

15. Unicorn

I would be very interested in that mate, thanks very much. I started modding work on the case that I am building this rig into at the weekend. I didn't get very much done becasue I wasn't in the workshop very much at all but I have the majority of the wiring from the previous PC stripped out of it and some new cable managment holes cut in it. It's a start but there's an awful lot of work to be done just to get it built and this week is shaping up to be a busy one for me. Time will tell if I can get it built soon enough to make the million.

16. coolamasta

Are you in a real hurry for it mate as im not 100% sure when it will be available - im about to WC my other i7 that its on but im waiting for parts to turn up before I can get the loop up and running? Im hoping mid-late this week but cant be sure just yet...

17. coolamasta

OK mate will do, looks like Matt may be interested but as im not sure exactly when it will be available he might not want to wait :)

18. Unicorn

I'm not in that big a hurry for it mate. I can wait a week or so. Don't rush it to me if you need it for a while longer :)