1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress Project: Lady Gargar || Minor Upd 2 Nov

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by acey, 11 Oct 2009.

1. acey

acey What's a Dremel?

[​IMG]

OK, its finished. :banana: Nah, its based on that hyena gargoyle statue above, more or less. You all know me, what I show and what I'll produce are two different things at the end. Scratch build, wood mostly. Now lemme show you some madskillz on MS Paint :facepalm: :facepalm: LOL

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Mobo will be in a box. Still not sure if I wanna make the mobo tray drawer-like. The rest of the stuffs will be stacked vertically on a different frame that will be screwed to the mobo tray or base itself.

The top cover of the box will be stand-alone, cut out at the center for the stacked wares, and with 4 'pillars' nailed to each side next to the cut. Wire mesh will be wrapped around the pillars and molded so the gargoyle ends up as the whole cover for the thing. Get it? No? Then you'll have to wait. I suck at putting whats in my head on paper.

Nothing to do after moving back and was rummaging the backyard and did this as a 'prototype' of the frame inside.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hi Curtis... I'll take you to the hardware shop~

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Testing the height to clear the VGA card

[​IMG]

OK, it works. Lets move on to the real material. Plywood. Just finished on the PSU slot. Need to check if the cable's long enough to reach a sideway ROM. Meh, cutting sucks LOL as usual. Since they're gonna be under some pulp so its ok. Chiselled out some space under the PSU for the cables to go.

[​IMG]

The base for the ROM is slightly forward cos I need to edge the tray as close as possible to the chest of the mold at the end.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The red circles need to be chiselled out for fans on both side, one at the VGA and the other at the processor. I'll let the PSU be the exhaust. There are still a couple of stuffs to think off. I'm having an offday tomorrow so should be getting back to it.

Btw, I don't have any measurements ready. I just take a measurement of how far it'll need to clear or surround a hardware and build. Makes no difference, the more measurements I plan, the worse it gets. :D

Last edited: 2 Nov 2009
  2. acey

acey What's a Dremel?

Added some panels to the frame. Need to drill both back and front to screw the whole thing onto the base. Back is slightly shorter than front.

[​IMG]

Saw a nice piece lying around, doesn't need any cutting for the base.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Have to push the ROM facing the back (good, don't have to wreck the front view of the mold by then) since the IDE's not long enuff to go all the way round. Made 2 brackets that will be joint with the HDD's and screwed onto the top of the PSU section.

[​IMG]

Pardon the nails LOL

[​IMG]

HDD will be next to it instead of on top... IDE's length again =/

[​IMG]

All these are gonna be covered in pulp once I start the gargoyle. That's all till next week. There goes my offday.

3. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

You are building a life-size gargoyle? That is a lot of paper!

4. acey

acey What's a Dremel?

Nonononono. Only about 50-60cm minus the base

5. acey

acey What's a Dremel?

This will be slower updates compared to the previous two.. I'm working 12 hr shift a day now =/ So on normal days i usually mod before work and during lunch break. Some minor updates...

Didn't like the look of the frame. Too rough and shabby looking and since I'm really bored at work, did some Tony Stark to make life easier and have no chiselling (left my dremel somewhere again). Hopefully the jinx (doing proper measurements and fd it up everytime) don't strike again after so many times.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Remember them? I got the 2nd one back from the other town I built it...

[​IMG]

And that means my wares are sunbathing naked under fluorescent sun...

[​IMG]

Browsing at a small hardware store when I saw this file. Thought it looks better and more applicable than the smaller one I had. Since its only 9.90 (approx USD 3.00)... oh well

[​IMG]

Tas all for now.. If I can wake up 3 hours earlier before work will replace some of the plywood tomorrow.

6. acey

acey What's a Dremel?

Grabbed a can of this a last week. Seems to be working pretty well so I'll use it to cover the sides of the plywood so moisture don't seep in when I add the pulp on. The bad thing is, it looks and feels like snot.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Spent the whole morning n noon resizing the thing accordingly, tacking the wood panels and even changing the size of nails used lol. But only 1 nail per piece since there's the glue thing.

The PSU bracket. First did it 4 legs one the same alignment but moved one further into the center as it was blocking the 24 pin cable.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hardware tray that clears 14cm off the base. No clear pic of it yet as the glue is still drying and have to keep the edges packed.

[​IMG]

Lastly front part of the base

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Its too freakin hot to continue right now. Thought of finishing the frame today and start the paper work next week. Probably do both together next Sun and Monday.

7. acey

acey What's a Dremel?

Hit a snag yesterday, was supposed to be home by 1pm but with the boss' new showroom opening in 3 days' time, had to do some work till 5pm. So no mod for Sunday. Now picking up from where it was left off... added the sides on.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Making sure the PSU slot fits with some extra space. Talking about that, I forgot to work on the back panel of the PSU slot today. Damn.

[​IMG]

ROM and HDD holder. Will look sorta out of place once done.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Will look roughly like this once done. Had to use a gap on one side of the HDD since the screw hole will be too near to the vertical holder.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Mobo fitting and back panel. Some little chiselling work required. The airflow will be from the front and exhausts on both L-R sides next to the VGA and processor's heatsink.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Used a screw and hammer to nail a smaller hole and then fitted the hexagonal legs in. 4 turned out fine with one near the VGA out of place.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After some measurements and "jigsaw puzzle" assembly lol.. Had to leave it vertically for the adhesive to dry.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

That's all now, slightly behind schedule with the top not done yet. And then the worst part of the mod... prepping the paper T________________T Till next week

8. acey

acey What's a Dremel?

Not much to update this week. Still trying to adjust to working 10-10 6 days. -_-

Found this piece lying around. Slightly shorter from front to back but perfect from L-R

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Glued 4 of these to the PSU/HDD/ROM frame

[​IMG]

This is what the top part will look like before being covered with wire-mesh to hold the gargolye mold in place... this is just the front

[​IMG]

That's all for now. Bloody bad weather for the past one week and the piece of plywood's kinda damp so don't really wanna do any cutting till its dry.

9. acey

acey What's a Dremel?

This project will have to be on hold for the mean time till probably early next year. Still trying to iron out a few issues at the showroom and busying myself with cheap beer lol. Be back after the new year.