1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blogs Do Actors Have A Place In Games?

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 12 Oct 2009.

1. simonw

simonw What's a Dremel?

Having voice acting is great, doesn't matter if the actor is famous or unknown, just as long as it is done well.

Having an actor or celebrity starring as a character in a game, I can take it or leave it.

2. Cutter McJ1b

Cutter McJ1b Home-cut jibs at discount Prices

+1

That's totally the case for me too. I wish I'd never went anywhere near Oblivion so that it didn't taint my impressions of Fall Out 3

3. Cutter McJ1b

Cutter McJ1b Home-cut jibs at discount Prices

Yes, it was in fact Earth that Steward narrated, Planet Earth was done by Attenborough.

4. Aragon Speed

Aragon Speed Busily modding X3: Terran Conflict

+1

5. stonedsurd

stonedsurd Is a cackling Yuletide Belgian

Actors can very often make or break a game. I think there's definitely a place for talented actors as well as celebrities.

6. bpdlr

bpdlr High-frequency bogon emitter

Mark Hamill in Wing Commander IV
    Clive Owen in Privateer 2

Two games I enjoyed quite a lot, but which had pretty average actors in starring roles. I honestly don't see any correlation between the quality of the game and the inclusion of actors/celebrities.

PS Danni Behr did the ship computer voice in Privateer 2 - that might have swayed me a bit, I guess :p

7. Xir

Xir Modder

And its called what???

Clive Owen in privateer2...didn't know him back then, for me he just was generic-space-pilot-No.1 :D

Still the acting wasn't bad

8. Spraduke

Spraduke Lurker

The actress who voiced alyx from hl2 deserves a mention. The end of ep2 was probably the most moving scene from a game that I have played.

9. l3v1ck

l3v1ck Fueling the world, one oil well at a time.

Actors don't make games, good characters do.
    All hail Minsc and Boo.

10. Dragunover

Dragunover What's a Dremel?

I don't know about you, but I actually like people who can speak in my game. Patrick Stewart was a great choice IMO for Oblivion.
    Infact, one of the reasons they're picked ( but sadly not the biggest ) Is because they've become professional speakers.

11. Abdul Hadi

Abdul Hadi Technically, I wanna be tim!

I agree with Mark Mackay. But Hell, the movie in NFS Most Wanted was good.

12. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

I think we may all be forgetting that most heinous of crimes against gaming ever (at least in terms of voice acting), which is Resident Evil on the Playstation. That game alone is an argument *for* professional voice actors in video games. The story wasn't exactly Shakespear, but the flat, lifeless and downright dull voice acting really didn't suck you in to the game at all. I'll admit that RE was a little hindered by the technology: in most cut-scenes (especially the first) you can hear the whirr and click of the CDROM loading the next line of speech, which inevitably led to horrendous pauses in the dialogue... The CDROM in the PSX wasn't exactly a quiet beast...

"Stop!" *pause....* "Don't open that door!" * Longer pause....whirrr, bzzzt, click* "But Chris is...." *Pause...bzzzzt, whirrr, etc... you get the idea...*

Tags: Add Tags