1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware What's the best 80mm and 92mm fan?

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Claave, 15 Oct 2009.

1. Claave

Claave You Rebel scum

2. binary101

binary101 What's a Dremel?

The hardware you use to cool your CPU. not cooler :)

3. stonedsurd

stonedsurd Is a cackling Yuletide Belgian

Nice. Also good timing, considering I might be needing some 80mm fans in the near future :)

4. Kyocera

Kyocera The Garden of Evil

Now I have a dilemma. Modders HELP!!!

Chassis: ATCS 840; on the floor of the case:
    -two Gentle Typhoon 1450rpm 120mm OR
    -two Antec Big Boy 200mm ??????? maximum airflow of course :D

On the youtube Big Boy does not seem that noisy,...
    I do not wish to have a screaming PC...

The goal is to cool two "395" Nvidias in the next year. Each should be a 420W monster.

Last edited: 15 Oct 2009
  5. Landy_Ed

Landy_Ed Combat Novice

I know you can't review every fan out there, but given the concerns about noise & the comments on FDB being quieter, any chance of someone looking at the thermalright fans at some point?

6. Baz

Baz I work for Corsair

because Quad-SLI has such a proven track record for being awesome....oh wait.

Realistically, I'd say the bigboys if you can squeeze them in - they're very quiet at low RPM mode and shift a lot of air even on the lowest setting.

7. MaverickWill

MaverickWill Dirty CPC Mackem

Yay! Yet another article I paid for!

8. Kyocera

Kyocera The Garden of Evil

I hope this Big Boy advice does not have the IGN vendetta inside. :hehe: :hehe: :hehe:

yup, quad SLi has proven to be a havoc!! (a money ransacking one) :hehe: :hehe:
    I was eyeing the Hydra technology about this one; quad Gt300. The only unknown variable is if this works with a "395", since they join two processors on one card in a different manner,...

I'm interested in BigBoy at the highest setting, your graph shows 38dcB; and I doubt that an ATCS840 with two of them would not be a Scream..
    Otherwise I'll buy two 120mm Silent typhoon 1450; (they have a really pleasant sound).

9. matt.bungle

matt.bungle Vase

Being a ventilation engineer and knowing how much I like tinkering with my computer at home 'water cooled monter Icore7'.

Fans are limited, ie electric fans have a maxium rpm, fans that are bigger move more air because of blades are larger but run at the same maxium rpm.

Computer fans noise bassically comes from air movement and a little on friction, so depending on how big your case is could depend on the noise level. Basically if you have a small case, the air (vol=m3/s) through your machine is the same as a larger cased pc but the air in the small pc case travels through a lot quicker (vel=m/s) than that of the larger one.

The point i'm trying to get acros is the fans tested are not in any case and the case sizes can affect the noise level.

Anyway when your talking about noise/performance 'who cares' along as it goes like a speeding train.

Tip: Bigger fan the better, more air = cooler pc

Eeven better, go for water and don't be affraid of trying.

Matt

10. rickysio

rickysio N900 | HJE900

Might as well just chuck your PC inside a refrigerator. Wait for wireless displays and decent wireless power, and you have your fridge cooled solution.

11. SBS

SBS What's a Dremel?

No Xilence Red Wings? Really? :(

12. bogie170

bogie170 What's a Dremel?

I wonder if Noctua are going to read this? I have a few of thier fans and i'm quite dissapointed they didn't do too well.

13. Horizon

Horizon Dremel Worthy

no, 140mm round-up?

14. Ficky Pucker

Ficky Pucker I

what about arctic cooling 9L ? 26.7 CFM @ 19.0 dB(A)

15. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

nice article.. that antec 200 is kinda overkill =p

16. DaTLiTe

DaTLiTe What's a Dremel?

reading all the reviews on the different sized fans im very suprised by the poor performance of the noctua fans. I thought they were highly regarded but i am now wondering what all the fuss is about?

17. Combatus

Combatus Bit-tech Modding + hardware reviews Lover of bit-tech Super Moderator

Yes case size and fan positioning can affect noise level but we're not testing cases here we're testing the fans so it's useful data for everyone and not just people with say an Antec Twelve Hundred

I think quite a few people do care about noise performance when it comes to PC cooling. We're not talking here about an outside airconditioning unit, we're talking about a PC that will sit a few feet from your ear.

Unfortunately as we've found, many larger fans available for PCs are not better than smaller ones.read this

18. Krayzie_B.o.n.e.

Krayzie_B.o.n.e. What's a Dremel?

I have 2 Noctua fans push pull on my Noctua NH-u9b cpu cooler. My AMD Phenom II 550 x2 is overclocked from 3.1 to 3.9 ghz and it runs 40 c idle and never higher than 49 c during intense gaming multitasking or what ever. I was surprised by the test untill i saw the chart at the end Noctua amongst quietest and coolest running max speed. I'm happy with Noctua. but this review is great it gives me another brand to look for when i build my next rig.

19. Toka

Toka Minimodder

Uh.....

Get your fans, a case representative of the target audience (say Antec 1200).

Put fans on case, put case in anechoic chamber.

Report noise levels in terms of delta dB

Thus you are providing a real world comparison between the fans, just like the boys and girls at bit-tech have been doing for years. edit for CPU coolers

Last edited: 16 Oct 2009
  20. Otto69

Otto69 What's a Dremel?

Next up, a water block cooling test using an uncalibrated spit covered fingertip....

I can remember when Bit-Tech was the source for VALID technical information. It's been going downhill since Dennis bought it.

Tags: Add Tags