1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TVs 37" FullHD 100Hz TV?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by perplekks45, 18 Oct 2009.

1. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

My girlfriend and me will move into a new flat in 2 weeks and I want a TV.

Sounds easy enough, doesn't it? Problem is that I don't have the time to really research a lot and the budget isn't as big as I want it to be.

What I want is in the title: 37" [would go 32" in case there's one that too good value to overlook], FullHD [Xbox360 and movies], 100Hz [I HATE 50Hz! Period.], otherwise nice would be having DVB-T, 3 x HDMI + composite [but that should be standard anyways]. Speakers don't have to be awesome but should be good enough for now until my 5.1 set and the receiver from Germany arrive.

Budget: <=600 Euro

I'd love to get the Panasonic 37LZD85 but it's just out of reach. Any recommendations will be much appreciated.

Cheers,
    perp

2. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

So you want 1080p, 37" cheap and 100hz?

Don't you mean 120hz? And you're going to be in a tight spot as 600EU isn't going to net you many of these specs, or at least good picture quality.

Off the top of my head the Samsung LN37B650 kind of fits the bill.

perplekks45 likes this.
  3. perplekks45

Well, I just saw a Medion TV that fit all that for 550 EUR but it was 42" and I don't think I want to fit something that big in the room. Then again, if I have to I will...

4. tk421

tk421 Idiot.

it might be a bit out of your reach (not sure, you would have to check prices) but the new LG's are really nice. I went with the 37lh30 - but the next step up, the 37lh40, is exactly what you want. 37" 1080p S-IPS 10bit screen ... 100hz over there, 120 here.

3 hdmi, vga, ypbpr, 2 comp.

and you can hack the USB port open for divx HD support.

perplekks45 likes this.
  5. perplekks45

642.50 EUR on Amazon.de... hmmm... tempting. Will have to see if I can stretch my budget that far.

Thanks and rep for you guys anyways. :thumb:

I'M STILL OPEN FOR SUGGESTIONS! ;)

//edit: Anyway got any idea what the difference between the 4000, 4010 and 4020 is?

6. tk421

tk421 Idiot.

with Lg's the first 2 numbers is screen size
    the 2nd (letters) are the model year - lh is 09. lg is 08.
    the last 2 (us) and last 4 (eu) are the series number ... the last 2 on the EU models is minor rev changes, usually newer firmwares (that you can update via the usb & a properly named and formatted usb drive)

there is tons of information on these in the avsforum and avforum (google them)

7. perplekks45

Thanks mate!
    I'll give av(s)forum a go when I have time [*cough*at work*cough*]...

8. joytime360

joytime360 What's a Dremel?

LG 37LH40 37-inch Class 1080p 120Hz LCD HDTV

the one i have mentioned in the title meets your needs ,and i think it is under your budget,you see ,you can use it to play games cooler.moreinfo ,hope it helps.

perplekks45 likes this.
  9. Kyocera

Kyocera The Garden of Evil

perplekks45 likes this.
  10. droitwichdosser

droitwichdosser What's a Dremel?

perplekks45 likes this.
  11. azrael-

azrael- I'm special...

"100Hz" features are pretty much useless on LCD tvs. They have nothing in common with the 100Hz feature on CRT tvs, as LCD is a "hold type" display which doesn't flicker.

What 100Hz on LCDs actually does is try to interpolate extra (non-existing) frames between two real frames. Usuall that fails miserably resulting in a kind of "soap opera" effect (you'll know what I mean once you see it).

By the way, might I suggest checking if you have room for a 42" set and if you do, go have a look at the Panasonic TX-42G10 plasma. Yes, it'll cost you some more money, but this money is well spent!

perplekks45 likes this.
  12. perplekks45

Thanks for all the infos!

@ joytime: Will definitely check that one out. rep added
    @ kyocera: Being German helps with that link, eh? :) rep added
    @ droit: 40" might be too big anyways but thanks, rep added
    @ azrael: Good to know, will look around for cheaper 50Hz then. 42" is definitely too big unfortunately. rep added

13. adam_bagpuss

adam_bagpuss Have you tried turning it off/on ?

just curious but....

im guessing you want to watch HD blu ray films etc etc.

if so you should be looking for a TV that supports 24hz for watching films. NOT 24p mode (some dont really display 24hz they convert as normal and its just marketing bull)

since on 50/60hz and 100hz screens 24hz doesnt go into those refresh rates very well. This causes judder on your screen. This happens when 24hz video is converted to 60hz or whatever.

24hz fits into 120hz though (x5) so natural screen image is preserved

you should look for TVs that support 24hz or 120hz IF you intend to watch BR films on it if quality is important to you

trig likes this.
  14. azrael-

azrael- I'm special...

Thanks for the rep, although it wasn't necessary... :)

No need to look for any (LCD) tv with 50Hz. Internally they all run at 60Hz (typical for LCD panels). Just make sure that any 100Hz feature can be disabled, if necessary. Sony are known to have the best implementation of 100Hz with their MotionFlow technology. Still, you might be better off disabling it.

Also, you may want to stay clear of the new Samsung "LED tvs". They're actually LCD sets with an LED backlight. Usually that would be a good thing, but these models are using what is known as edge LEDs, meaning they're located around the edge of the frame pointing inward. Gives you a slim and sexy tv set, but image quality suffers somewhat.

Finally, be prepared to find most sets in the stores running in "shop mode". Colours, contrast etc. are cranked up in a way that no sane person would ever use at home. The idea is to make the sets "yell" at you how shiny and colourful they are... :)

15. Kyocera

All people I know in England speak at least two foreign languages; from time memorial these are French and German.
    Better Universities in England require the knowledge of foreign languages of their future students.

There are some that...
    .http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/tourist-imprisoned-in-french-town-hall-1776494.html
    http://tempsreel.nouvelobs.com/actu...itannique_confond_hotel_de_ville_avec_ho.html
    http://www.spiegel.de/reise/aktuell/0,1518,644629,00.html

Last edited: 19 Oct 2009
  16. ashikamlani

ashikamlani What's a Dremel?

Dude I'm at uni and know no other second language apart from English.

What a load of tripe!

Plenty of people, in fact the majority of people, in England speak only one language.

17. perplekks45

I always had the feeling most English-speaking people had the attitude that, as English already is THE business language around the world, they didn't have to learn anything else.

Exceptions to the rule are welcome. :p :D

18. Kyocera

Well, a foreign language was compulsory till 2002; and it will be again in one year; how did you manage to avoid it is a mystery.

It's true however, that Cambridge was the only one left to insist on it and they are considering to drop the requirement for political reasons aimed at widening the social mix of students. The things are going so far, that applicants are given till two grades bonus advantage, if they show they are from low end schools.

Oxford was always cleverer than Cambridge, since entry standards are decided by each individual subject.

University College London is talking about making a modern foreign language GCSE a compulsory condition of admission in 2012.

Anyway, I'm fluent in 5 languages and can read magazines and newspapers in another one; so I don't see your problems.

Last edited: 19 Oct 2009
  19. ashikamlani

ashikamlani What's a Dremel?

I applied to Cambridge and there was no such requirement, so I think you are perhaps exaggerating/are misinformed.

I have no problem with people speaking 5 languages, in fact, I applaud it and wish I could do the same. I do, however, have a problem with blase comments about the general British public that have no factual basis whatsoever.

20. Kyocera

maybe I just do not mingle with the sorts of you

[​IMG]