1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware 3rd Dream PC unveiled - Cryo PC Graphite

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Claave, 19 Oct 2009.

1. Claave

Claave You Rebel scum

2. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

I spy a Little Devil phase unit under a different name...

I aprrove. :thumb:

3. stonedsurd

stonedsurd Is a cackling Yuletide Belgian

Doesn't quite do it for me. Seems odd because the PR-talk makes it sound so awesome but it really doesn't pull any of the right strings.

4. Naberius

Naberius What's a Dremel?

Thats not a dream pc, its a mess!

5. azrael-

azrael- I'm special...

Designwise it's just fugly...

6. frontline

frontline Punish Your Machine

Surely 'GPU' is incorrect? Card, maybe.

7. Abdul Hadi

Abdul Hadi Technically, I wanna be tim!

The system is just the selection of the most expensive bits in the market. Not the best. So it may be quite quite good but in my opinion not great.

Last edited: 19 Oct 2009
  8. Abdul Hadi

Abdul Hadi Technically, I wanna be tim!

Most modders in bit-tech can easily achieve 4.5 from a 975. Just 200MHz more for what, I think 2000 quid. Mmmmm.... may not be acceptable.

9. Claave

Claave You Rebel scum

It's worth remembering that these machines were specced up a few months ago in order to be tuned, tweaked and stress-tested for reliability, so none of them use HD 5000-series graphics cards. But then, the competition is more about design and innovation than just bunging the most expensive stuff you can find into a case.

10. Tim S

Tim S OG

Yeah, but will they provide a full warranty, including telephone and on-site support? :)

11. The boy 4rm oz

The boy 4rm oz Project: Elegant-Li

Looks ok but Meh to the phase. Seriously needs some internal cable work and could have at least used a blue sleeve on the phase pipe to tie it all in. Not to mention the actual case doesn't sit properly on top of the unit and the CF vinyl they used on the case was done very poorly, a ton of wrinkles and bubbles. If that was given to me I would give it back and make them do it again, then again I wouldn't be stupid enough to drop the cash on it in the first place. The second rig is still the best IMO.

Last edited: 19 Oct 2009
  12. oatey4519

oatey4519 can't be arsed...

Lol..

It is a bit messy as said as well...
    Nice products inside though..

13. rickysio

rickysio N900 | HJE900

Pfft, RAID 0 Intel X25-E would be better, if they wanted to shove the best and the most expensive inside.

14. Abhorsen

Abhorsen Minimodder

5. Minimise the cost and need for professional technical maintenance or intervention.

Tim, so.... they minimised cost, yet it's still £7,495. Also they minimised the need for Technical support so a Bit-Techer built machine at £2,000 with albeit slightly lower specs leaves £5,495 worth of Warranty which "Shouldn't be needed" by there own statement... :p

15. SlowMotionSuicide

SlowMotionSuicide Come Hell or High Water

Sure as hell ain't pretty.

16. Baz

Baz I work for Corsair

While the dream PCs are supposed to be awesome, they do still have to at least partly affordable - £2k on 2 SSDs (that are slower than 2x indilinx when reading) just isn't worth it. It's a balancing act between being awesome and keeping things at least partially affordable.

17. smc8788

smc8788 Multimodder

Just got my copy of CPC in the post, and judging by the front cover alone it looks like you are saving the best for last. It's just a shame that not all manufacturers were quite up to the task in the design department.

Looking forward to the next two :)

18. logan'srun

logan'srun following the footsteps of giants

well if that's the case (read above comment) then I'm looking forward to them too as these cases haven't really inspired me in the least. Sorry.

have you ever thought of asking the modders here to create a 'Dream PC' or is that outside the bounds of what is deemed a 'Builder's boutique' with tech support and warranty's and such?

19. M7ck

M7ck Ⓜod Ⓜaster

I think this is the worst of all five entries. The phase change unit is cool but its a friggin ugly machine. I have just read the full review in the mag and im not that impressed.

20. Lizard

Lizard @ Scan R&D

logan'srun - we do have 'Mod of the Month' and 'Readers Drives' modding competitions every month in bit-tech/CPC, in which any reader can enter their modded system.

For Dream PCs, we specifically only ask PC manufacturers, so that the systems that are covered can be bought if you like the look of any of them. And while I'm sure some readers might be up for selling one of their modded systems, they wouldn't be able to offer the same tech support/warranty/assurance a PC manufacturer should be able to do.

Tags: Add Tags