1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Win7 and XP dual boot

Discussion in 'Software' started by Cerberus90, 18 Oct 2009.

1. Cerberus90

Cerberus90 Car Spannerer

I've just installed Win7 onto my test box to try it out.

Its also got Win XP on another partition.

However, I don't seem to be able to boot into XP since installing 7.

I'm sure I've seen this problem being reported on here before, and that theres an easy fix, but I can't remember what it is. Need to fix MBR but can't remember prog.

Anyone help.

2. Cerberus90

Cerberus90 Car Spannerer

Well, I got XP working again by booting from XP CD, and then recovery console and then doing

fixboot
    fixmbr
    bootcfg /rebuild

But now Win 7 isn't in the boot list.

But I'm not bothered anymore, Going to save Win7 for my main rig and just use that the next time I update.

3. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

Win7 Pro and Ultimate has XP Mode.. so you don't need XP for you ultra old software.
    Win7 and XP has different boot technologies. It's a pain to make it work. But essentially, you need to install XP first, and then Win7, which will auto detect your XP, and setup the boot accordingly.

I recommend to scrap your XP and go with Win7 64-bit. Unless your system can't run Win7 of course.

4. Cerberus90

Cerberus90 Car Spannerer

Its just a test box that I was using. Not my main rig or anything.

It was nothing more than something to stop me being bored, :D.

Hmmm, I'd got XP installed first, then installed Win7, but it didn't detect the XP install, couldn't find it in msconfig or the bit under control panel>system>advanced>system startup and recovery.

nvm, the test box will just be staying as Win XP for now.

5. brooksy

brooksy What's a Dremel?

vista and windows 7 doesnt use msconfig. There is a program called easybcd that does the same thing its a free download. Mike

6. Cerberus90

Cerberus90 Car Spannerer

eh,

msconfig does exist in vista and win 7.

Yeah, I saw easyBCD while searching after posting, and probably could have just used that while in Win7 and it'd of probably detected the XP install.

7. GoodBytes

What he meant is that the boot system is completely different, where Win7 and XP Boot system doesn't see each other. But Win7 can see Vista, and XP can see Windows 2000, NT4.x, and NT3.

8. adam_bagpuss

adam_bagpuss Have you tried turning it off/on ?

you can dual boot XP and windows 7 without BCD.

you must install windows XP first then create another partion and install windows 7.

when you do this you will get the boot screen for windows 7 and it will ask if you wanna boot windows 7 or "earlier versions of windows" (XP)

or use BCD cause its a good little tool

9. Cerberus90

Cerberus90 Car Spannerer

Thats what I had done, XP was installed already. I then used the second partition on the drive and installed 7, but I never got a boot screen to choose an OS.

Doesn't matter anyway, as I'll never be doing it again as I'll never need a dual boot XP/7 system, as I said, it was just a pointless task to keep me occupied, :D

10. adam_bagpuss

adam_bagpuss Have you tried turning it off/on ?

bit wierd cause i did the same as you wanted to test windows 7 beta when that came out and just created a partion on my HDD and installed it.

got a boot screen first time.

11. Cerberus90

Cerberus90 Car Spannerer

yeah, is strange, but nvm.

12. Ravenheart

Ravenheart What's a Dremel?

According to the 12th post down on page 2 of this thread http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?p=2124121#post2124121 it sounds like you would still need proper XP because apparently XP mode is useless?

As for installing Windows XP and Windows 7, I did exactly that, but the difference being I already had Windows XP Professional installed twice on 2 different hard drives, I had Windows XP Professional installed with all my programs such as Microsoft Office, Photoshop etc so I could use that version of Windows just for work purposes, I then have Windows XP Professional installed on my 2nd hard drive just for gaming, so all that was installed on that were you guessed it games :D, and yes ALL games run faster on the Windows XP Pro that I use just for gaming as I tested games on both Windows XP I have installed and they run significantly faster and less sluggish on the version of Windows just for games and nothing else.

I then installed Windows 7 on the 3rd hard disk I have and my boot menu is as follows, I edited the name of 'Earlier version of Windows' though to say 'Windows XP Professional' by the way, anyway like I was saying my boot menu is as follows.

Windows XP Professional (when I press enter to select this option, I'm then greeted by the XP boot menu which let's me pick either Windows XP Professional or Windows XP Gaming <--- as I call it.
    Windows 7

So i'm basically triple booting.

13. GoodBytes

Well it's wrong, or you miss understood.
    XP Mode is not useless, nor the requirement of Windows XP license unless you have Win7 Starter or Home Premium edition.... but on that, I did mention on my post above... "Professional" and "Ultimate" edition, unless you skipped that part.

:wallbash::wallbash::wallbash::wallbash::wallbash::wallbash:
    I give up.. seriously I give up.

You got everything wrong, don't you?

I need to clam down a bit and I filled with frustration now. :(

Let me try to explain now quickly:
    - There is no performance difference between both of your XP... if you see something, it's only or they have different drivers, or you have a background process that keeps eating your CPU on your "work XP" which is not normal.

- An Operating System, such as Windows, manages your hardware and applications.. without an Operating System, each software would require a different computer all together, and manage everything.

- Windows XP is soooo different form Vista and Win7, you have no idea. 2 different planets.

Last edited: 20 Oct 2009
  14. Ravenheart

You really are an angry little a*se aren't you?

You see I never misunderstood anything, nor was I wrong, it was not me who said Windows XP compatibility mode was useless, as I pointed out (which you didn't read obviously) it was the person who made the 12th post on the 2nd page of this topic Windows 7 Home Premium Early Delivery?? that said Windows XP Compatibility Mode is just about useless or did you misunderstand that? Or don't you know how to read properly?

Either way you keep giving up and bashing your head against a wall because frankly if I were you I'd be doing the same thing.

By the way it's not "You got everything wrong, don't you" it's "You get everything wrong, don't you?" and no I don't.

Another point I am going to make here is to tell you not to tell me there is no difference between both XP installations I'm running, as your not running them nor would you have a clue how they both run on my machine, but let me tell you this, the version of Windows XP I'm running that I use for everything such as Microsoft Office and Photoshop etc with a lot of other software installed does run a hell of a lot slower than the version I use just for games FACT! Because all the software such as Office and Photoshop/QuickTime/All the other software I use install a ton of services that the programs need and yes they do slow the computer down, yet again FACT!

Because lots of processes = slowdown FACT! (I love the word FACT me :D) so now onto the Windows XP install I'm using primarily for games on a completely separate hard drive, it simply has all the drivers needed for games installed, Graphics drivers/Sound Drivers/Direct X etc etc and guess what NO SERVICES that aren't needed for games to run, and definitely nowhere near the amount of services on the scale used by all the programs I run on the version of Windows I use for everything else, so take note I also said “I tested games on both Windows XP I have installed and all the games I play run significantly faster and less sluggish on the version of Windows just for games and nothing else.” Which meant I'd tested so I obviously knew what I was talking about!

So you having the gall to tell me there is no performance difference is totally wrong, the performance of Windows XP without tons of services running far exceeds a version of Windows XP running lots of services FACT! <--- there's that word again, don't you just love it ;) by the way you said it yourself "If I have a background service that eats all the CPU on my "work XP" there is no IF, as I've already said all the apps I use on my "Work XP" install a lot of services which obviously use CPU resources, obviously not all of the resources but a fair chunk of them that I don't have on the Windows I use solely for games! Which instantly makes games run much better and faster and seem more responsive?, well not seem more responsive they are more responsive.

And I really don't know why you are choosing to explain anything to me, as I know exactly what an Operating System does regarding managing hardware and applications but your clearly confused, because if there was no Operating System then no software would run, so I really don't know what the hell your on about when you mention without an Operating System each piece of software would require a different computer altogether, HELLO! If there was no Operating System NO SOFTWARE COULD RUN!

As for Windows XP being so different from Vista and Windows 7, I didn't know that, thanks for explaining!, actually I did know that and what that has to do with 2 different planets I have no idea.

Just for the record by the way You just said above that Windows 7 will detect Windows XP and setup the boot accordingly which it will.

But look here, you typed Win7 and XP Boot system can't see each other, excuse me? If Windows 7 can't see XP's Boot system then how the hell can it 'Detect XP' and setup the Boot accordingly, you keep contradicting yourself mate, because your clearly not wrong are you!

15. GoodBytes

Yes I am, sorry about that.

I said the OP of the link, based on what you said is wrong. Correct that I did not read the post that you linked. The point was that XP Mode is useful for old programs and XP Mode (Virtual PC + XP License for it) is provided for free to all Win7 Pro and Ultimate users.

It's because I have brain related problems.

As you wish... it's not my computer. My point still stand that more software installed doesn't make games go slower. The only difference is that you have so much services that it uses more memory, so you have less available for your games, and because XP always treats your system as "low memory" no mater how much memory you have, it dumps everything it can on your HDD.

Also, it's not really a fact, it's more of a OS design issue. A design that was ideal for back in the days when we has 128-256-512MB of RAM, but faster 512MB it starts to be more of an annoyance. Your statement is true under XP and older Windows only. If you said that back in the days of when Vista was about the release, it's understandable, but Vista is out, therefor it is considered the latest Windows release. For example, when I talk about a bug or issue in Windows, I either specify the operating system, or take in consideration the latest Windows.

Also, it would be nice to explain what you know. Why you do this strange, unusual things. Else, it presents as if you were miss informed.

Do this in Vista and Win7, and you'll cripple the OS. Services are designed to help your system. I suggest to simply not touch services in Win7, unless you strove to grab that few KiloBytes of memory, by disabling SmartCard, Windows Media Sharing, and parental control.

You could have explained that on your previous post.

Services should not run on the background all the time, when not in use. That's kinda the idea of services. Application that responds to events, else it would just be startup application.

You know that an Operating System is a software. In fact even a floating processor instruction is a software. And Operating System, beside other things, creates "virtual" systems for each application to run. This is done to significantly reduce conflicts between applications and games.

Let me clarify. I meant Windows 7 setup.

I meant once Windows 7 is installed, and you are in Windows 7.

16. Ravenheart

I know enough to know what I'm talking about, that's what I know, and I really don't appreciate you saying "Why do you do this strange, unusual things." Did you mean "Why do I do these strange, unusual things?" The answer is I don't do strange unusual things, unless you class having 3 operating systems installed as strange which by the way isn't strange at all, in fact it's practical, let me narrow it down and make it easier for you to read/understand.

1) Windows XP Professional installed just for all the apps I use, Microsoft Office, Photoshop to name just 2

2) Windows XP Professional installed just for gaming, no unnecessary services running (apart from the obvious standard ones Windows uses) obviously when I said NO SERVICES NOT NEEDED by games I meant services installed by programs! the sort of programs I'm not running on the version of Windows XP I use solely for gaming.

3) Windows 7 (for testing purposes only, until the release date)

Does that make sense to you or should I elaborate further because you really are hard work trying to get anything to sink in.

By the way regarding what I said about testing games on both Windows, I did mention it in my original and previous post, you just didn't read it! See below.

And also see below this where I mentioned it again in my response to you, notice I typed I'd tested games on BOTH Windows XP versions installed and then clarified it in my response to you, you simply didn't read it.

17. GoodBytes

It was not my attention to question your knowledge.

Usually, when a person is doing a dual, triple, quadruple.. boot, they are all different OS. If I may exaggerate things, just to show you how how I feel when you said you the above posts is this (I am not insulting you, I just want to show you what I FEEL, and understand MY REACTION.)
    Exaggeration: "I have installed 50 boot level XP, one per application or game installed.. So I have XP for RedAlert, another XP for Need for Speed, another XP for MSN, ....". What if you read that... what would be YOUR reaction. And don't say that it's fine, because it's not.

I have no problem with Win7 part. My ORIGINAL problem was on the 2 XP's. It's not supposed to slow down your game. Windows is SUPPOSED to manage your applications so that such thing is not needed. Now, don't get me wrong I hated XP and still hate XP. But I am surpsied that such issue is there, especially that NO ONE ever reported this, and issue like this, would simply spread all over the internet. That is why I still stand that it's a configuration problem on your side. And no mater what you say on the number of PHD you have in computers will change my mind. It is my opinion, and I am sticking with it. You choose to see if your problem is 100% normal or not.

I am a dunky, leave me be. :p

I did read it. It's just that, it's so strange to me, that I thought I missing understanding you.

18. geoboy333

geoboy333 Sometimes I say something bright...

I had the same problem when i tried it with vista and xp. the trick is to do xp first then vista/windows 7 and it should be fine, it worked for me.

19. infered101

infered101 What's a Dremel?

Im sorry to be off topic here (its seems to be the tread) but why do forums become places for piss fights all the time.

The guy asks a question about dualbooting os's and mysteriously its about 2 people bickering about os differences and performance.

HE WASNT ASKING ABOUT PERFORMANCE ISSUES HE WAS ASKING A QUESTION RELATED TO DUALBOOTING trouble. If you want to have a slap fest start a new forum topic somewhere else.

Oh and as an on topic side note. You can install windows 7 then windows Xp. You just have to repair the bootconfig for 7 then use BCE. Its just more work so most stear away from it.

20. butter100fly

butter100fly Rebelstar Raider

why does this remind me of arguments with my g/f? Very funny guys, good work for not getting out of control:cooldude:

but come on now...these two aren't exactly in a flame war...this is a good exchange, apart from the english language comments (give the guy a break!)

Its a fundamental principle of multibooting that you do not let the new os see the old one while its installing...and that you know how to sort out the boot loader of the new OS when its finished so that it can THEN see the old OS...either that or replace the MBR with a good multibooting program. If you have multiple drives its as simple as unplugging them (a multibooter allows you to hide the partitions....but mutibooters need a lot of work)

from what I've read BCD should do what you want, but you have to work at it and learn how to do it - don't expect it to just work even in win7 ...or just go virtual (at this point he plugs his thread on booting partition OS's as VM's)

happy to help you with multibooters if you want to try that road

gone...