1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News IW responds to Modern Warfare 2 server snafu

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 21 Oct 2009.

1. [ZiiP] NaloaC

[ZiiP] NaloaC Multimodder

This is true, but also recognise the fact that L4D will only have 8 players maximum when playing Versus, or 4 for the campaign. So the bandwidth and so forth required is considerably less. Additional things like use of perks and so forth are key for me online.

I despise servers that disallow any of them and all I want is to play on the ZiiP servers with my mates, regardless of skill, rank or ping. I have a great laugh regardless and now this is currently shot dead by IW. Twats.

2. Er-El

Er-El Minimodder

Windows Live ID now.

3. Tris

Tris What's a Dremel?

I admit to getting a bit of e-rage building up from reading comments on this issue around the internet. It's so frustrating to see people giving reasoned arguments for why they are unhappy with this and all the responses are "waaah stupid pc fanboys it works fine on consoles stop complaining" or a variant of.
    Of course there are plenty of mindless pc proponents running around spouting ******** as well, which is equally as frustrating.

4. OnyxLilninja

OnyxLilninja What's a Dremel?

Wow IW are being massively hypocritical here. Just a few days ago before it all blew up the Eurogamer hands on quoted this from Robert Bowling at IW...

"We'll be playing every night, watching the lobbies, checking Twitter and hearing the feedback, as well as going directly to our community and just asking: what do you think? What do you want?"

"Based on that feedback, the entire team will go back and start creating post-launch content: the things people want more of. In our heads we might think we'll just be releasing more stuff for standard multiplayer, but the Spec Ops could turn into something no-one expected it to be, and people could be saying, 'We love this stuff: we want more Stealth missions, we want more Elimination missions!' You can be sure we'll be focusing our attention on what people actually want."​

****ing lol with regards to the last few days eh? Shows how much marketing ******** is involved with this game.

5. kornedbeefy

kornedbeefy What's a Dremel?

Spoken like a true console fanboy. Let me try to explain it to you so someone of your lack of knowledge can understand it.

I grabbed this from another forum thread. I think it sums it up pretty well.

"If you have never played on a PC, and your multiplayer experience has only been delivered to you via matchmaking, then you will never really understand.
    But try to imagine a host hosting a game while never turning his console off, and you can always reach that room and play there whenever you want, night or day, because its always on.
    Now imagine that host has a Pentagon grade internet connection and his X360 can handle 64 players in that room.
    On top of that, the guy who's the host is actually resurrected Ghandi, so you will all be treated with respect, anyone using racial slurs, being offensive or just detrimental to gameplay experience via TKing or exploiting glitches, is going to be removed from that server forever.
    Now imagine dozens and dozens of custom maps running on that server, which you will get for free, because IWs not making them. Then imagine entire communities and forums built around that one room (server).
    You recognize people who visit that same room, you befriend them, you have fun with these familiar folks."

6. gavomatic57

gavomatic57 Minimodder

Another PC franchise bites the dust thanks to consolification. It just strikes me as a bit of an unneccesary move by IW. Why ruin the one element of COD4 that made it an online phenomenon?

7. Interloper

Interloper Faux Pro Modder

Funny how they still haven't made even a hint of how many players this 'great and all knowing' IWNet can support. My guess: 8-10.

8. wafflesomd

wafflesomd What's a Dremel?

Holy ****....

You're an idiot.

9. Kiytan

Kiytan Shiny

Aside from lack of clan support e.t.c, the other thing that really gets me is the whole "fighting players of around the same skill" Calculating it in itself is difficult enough, do you go on KDR, some points system, what? how do you factor in supporting roles, distinguish accidental FF and team killing, there just seems way too many variables for it to work well.

And you know what, sometimes i don't want to play against people of the same skill. Sometimes getting my ass handed to me on a silver platter is a good way of improving (seeing how they do things, little tactics people use e.t.c)

10. lewchenko

lewchenko Minimodder

I read IW's response... and here is mine...

My Pre-order remains cancelled, and I wont be picking this game up on PC or console now. I bought COD4 MW on both the PC and the PS3, and probably would have done the same for MW2.... but due to the arrogrance of IW/Activitision.. I can live without it.

11. kornedbeefy

kornedbeefy What's a Dremel?

LAN PARTY is one example! You ever been to a PC LAN party? 50 times more fun (IMHO) than gaming online with a PC or console. Nothing better than gaming face to face with your own screen (no console splitscreen B.S.) You NEED a dedicated server to host for eveyone in the room.

12. sub routine

sub routine Archie Gemel

for a game like this no dedicated support for clans is lunacy really

13. UrbanMarine

UrbanMarine Government Prostitute

Didn't COD4 on the Xbox have an rank reset because of people cheating & exploiting through the ranks?

14. cgthomas

cgthomas Cpt. Handsome

Honestly....... I just hope it's a MAJOR PR stunt. To raise more awareness for the game than ever before. Imagine that: 100,000 + people talking = MASSIVE and free publicity for IW. I hope it's ture.

4 Days before release they come out and say "Got ya!!! You'll get your servers!!!" And the community will be like "Stuff that game in your a**es. We don't want it anymore"

15. WILD9

WILD9 Been here aaaaages

I'm amazed at the lack of respect for for hardcore players and modders, I don't count myself among either group any more but their stance that these are minority groups on PC is ridiculous. Counterstrike became for a time the most popular on-line game in the world and guess what, Its a mod.

16. johnnyx

johnnyx What's a Dremel?

17. Star*Dagger

Star*Dagger What's a Dremel?

IW will join the ranks of SOE, MadDoc software and other software companies that have screwed over their customers, only to lose those customers and end up shutting their doors.
    PC gamers have a looooong memory. I won't even buy Rockstar developed games since the moronic PhD who destroyed Star Trek Legacy WORKS there now, Dr. Ian Davis (ironically Rockstar bought Maddoc, changed the name to Rock Star New England and now they make console titles).

I hope to see some of these clowns in RL at game conventions, if someone dumps their soda on you fools, that might be me, ooops sorry!!!

Yours in Vengeful Plasma,
    Star*Dagger

18. Dragunover

Dragunover What's a Dremel?

"lol, I find it amusing how much people can flip. Possibly the most anticipated game of the year suddenly is hated upon...

We can't judge or hate upon a new formula before we've really tested it"

Sure, like this system hasn't been used before?
    I've experienced many good quality p2p games such as war rock, combat arms, halo 2, and cross fire.
    For your information, those games are ****ing awful just because of how much lag there is. If one player lags at all, you lag, and everyone lags. P2P is for South Korea and Japan, not Americans on Comcast and Cox, Europeans on Virgin and Orange.
    Good luck with that ********.

19. Horizon

Horizon Dremel Worthy

you can choose who you want to play with, and choose a particular dedicated server via steamgroups.

20. Horizon

Horizon Dremel Worthy

Passport has been around since 2005

Tags: Add Tags